Repair advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penfold

I damaged my boat. The transom end has crack that has separated it from the top end. It is along the seam of the hull and the top. The boat is made of carbon and epoxy. Repairing it will require gluing a carbon or glass fiber tape. As this is a Nitro boat what is a good method of cleaning the surface which I am about to glue? Any recommendations to the type of epoxy that should be used?

I was considering cleaning the area with dishwasher soap like Dawan and using 30 min epoxy.

I have done this repair myself after my boat was hit.

I washed the boat inide out with dish soap first to get rid of most if the goo. Let it dry and then clean the repair area with acetone or paint thinner. This will take care of any trace of oild remaining. Sand the area with coarse sand paper before you patch it.

I used 2 hour epoxy. Brush the epoxy onto the area then lay the glass tape over. Use a brush in a stabbing motion to get the air bubbles out.

I damaged my boat. The transom end has crack that has separated it from the top end. It is along the seam of the hull and the top. The boat is made of carbon and epoxy. Repairing it will require gluing a carbon or glass fiber tape. As this is a Nitro boat what is a good method of cleaning the surface which I am about to glue? Any recommendations to the type of epoxy that should be used?

I was considering cleaning the area with dishwasher soap like Dawan and using 30 min epoxy.
Fiberglass Resin & Cloth. wipe with lacquer thinner after washing & drying it out & sand the area you lay the resin into..... V out the repair area if possible & fill it back flat to the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back