refinishing a hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscarbon

Supporting Member
the clear coat and paint is off the hull. the stripper will not take the primer-base coat off. the hull now is a even matte white. however on some of the edge's the wood is showing through. i was going to sand with 320 to rough the surface. i was planning on using hok pbc for color and ppg concept 2021 for the clear. should i be using hok kp-2cf,ko-seal or ppg dp48lf as a primer first.

thanks

chris

go with ko-seal (2-3 medium coats), then sand again if necessary with 400 or 600 wet...seal again then your ready for base color and clear.

you can use the PPG clear, though for my money I use the HOK clear...people will tell you to not mix and match your paint systems but I have been using dupont chromabase colors and HOK clear for years with great success...just watch your flash times...give the coats enough time in between and avoid heavy coat buildups...good luck...

jay,

this is a friends hydro i am working on. he has given me the mentioned supplies however he didn't have the primer. i am not as knowledgeable about the hok system as other systems. just making sure he is going to purchase the right product. thanks for your reply.

chris

Chris,

PPG 2021 Poly clear works great over HOK. I've been using 2021 over HOK Neon and Shimrin for five years now without any issues. PPG 2021 is by far the best poly clear available, at least without spending an absolutely REDICULOUS bit of cash.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back