wood boat finishing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I know we have had this kind of discussion before.. but I would like to get an update on what people have been up to. I have wooden hull that is about ready to be finished on the outside. The inside is sealed with Mas.

I have want to try something different on the outside. Historically I would seal with epoxy,.. put on wipe off,, 2x,.. then a couple primer coats with sanding,.. then a couple color coats,.. then a couple coats of clear.. No only do I always mess this up,.. It adds a lot of weight to the boat.

I was thinking about 2 options.

I thought I might try to use 2 coats of the System3 Clear coat, then just add some stick on color.. Has anyone gotten used this product on bare wood?

Second,..maybe I just go straight to the 2k clear coat. I have read of people doing this with success.

Looking for input on real experience.. Hoping not to get alot of "because we always did it this way"

Anyway.. what do you guys think about these 2 options?

I have only used it over color,. not directly on the wood.. But if not,.. how do these guys get that really nice clear finish on the wood?

I have had good luck with the y2k over color, with 65% nitro though.

I have sprayed PPG clear directly on wood and wet sanded and sprayed another coat and it did great. I did it on a Whip 45 sport hydro. Then painted the trim and sprayed the whole hull with clear. Turned out great

Back