Real race boat, Real loud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Poole ModVP

Thought you would like to see one of my other toys. These were some of the loudest racing outboards ever built. Can you see why?

1970 15' Allison

1971 135 Chrysler stacker

100_4004.JPG

Thought you would like to see one of my other toys. These were some of the loudest racing outboards ever built. Can you see why?
1970 15' Allison

1971 135 Chrysler stacker
Mark,

Nice looking Allison!!! I had one of those stackers on a 15' v-bottom in the 80's. Jay was 5 and used to sit on my lap and steer. Went all of 78mph but handled geat with the small gearcase. LOUD yep rivals a top fuel car. Also a friend put a T2X Merc on the 15 footer and that we let off before it would go 90. No Balz. Again handles great with a speedmaster but terminal air speed over 85. Must be why we like Mod VP outboards. I bet Kensil has had one of those also.

Mic

You need a 2.4 or 2.5 on the Allison if you want a real thrill.

I have seen a 2.4 Champ Merc on a 16 Allison. Driver was a big guy with big arms. Had to be to steer it! First time I ever drove my 13 Critchfield with 75 Stinger I was 20 years old. Felt like I was sitting on a Hydro slide knee board doing 70 mph! Was great fun.

Remind me of the first speed boat I drove. Crosby 16' with a suicide 6 Mark 75 no neutral to get revers you had to stop eng pull throttle backward and restart in reverse rotation.

My dad told me that when I could pull start it I could take it out by my self. It started moving as soon as it started so you had to run to the front of the boat real fast. You should have seen the look on his face as I waved while I drove away. I was 12 at the time.

NiceBoat

How about a little personal boat racing history

My first Tunnel was Demsey ( local New Mexcio wood tunnel hull builder )with a Mercuy BP 1250 stacker.Inline 6 , 3 water injected stacks , longer and bigger dia stacks. then the Chryslers .As I remember ( its been 40 yrs ago )You would wind out the motor till it ran out of revs , then hold a button in on the steering wheel which allowed a fine spray of water into the stacks which changed tuning and you could get a few hundred rpm more out of the motor.

Even with ear plugs and a helmet I was nearly deaf for a couple days after a race. Those things were so loud you could hear a boat coming up behind you to pass. especially if it was a twin. Terrible loud when you were following one . Thankfully OMC soon developed the tunned exhast in the lower unit , Mercury followed suit , and I only had to race Stackers one short season.

Chryslers were very loud . I don't think any old time racefans or racers thought Chryslers were louder then Mercs. Those engines were Chryslers last gasp as racing engines.

That looks like a fine example , Take good care of it. BTW , they were much louder then the Holman Moody built 427 Ford race engine with dry headers I was racing in a K boat befoe I bought the tunnel.

Dick Roberts

Abq NM

went a few years ago to a race site in mass. and saw some konigs and some rossi's with adjustable pipes. in my history of boat racing these were the loudest things i ever heard. must be hard to get race sites when they run. i was in the travel lift well when 1 out of the 3 2.4 bridgeports would not start on a 32' skater so i climbed on to the back a sprayed a bit of wd-40 into the throttle body and lost some of my hearing when it lit off, i usually have my earmuffs on when working on those merc's but not this time!. miss working on those race boats, lots fun

looks good boys have a look at what we run down under for smoc class (standard motor open cockpit) 87mph with 2 skiers

pic 1 my name on the back

pic 2 prepairing for the moring race with no trainning. flew home the day before race bad decisson but last min

observing for the afternoon run with my bro skiing (lots of drinking) plus i cant ski 2 80km runs without not training

i'm knowen as mr last min when it comes to skiraceing but its like riding a bike you never forget

Last edited by a moderator:
That must be the polar opposite of a Minnkota trolling motor, Their motto..."Quiet power catches fish" :lol:

You guys are stirring up some old memories, I grew up living right next to Devils Lake, Oregon,, look on the APBA

race schedule and you'll see its the last event of the season.

Close to 55 years in the running I have attended nearly all the events. As a kid in the late 50's and early 60's there's

nothing that can get a young growing future "motor head" outa bed faster than the sound of a straight 6 megaphoned

Merc on Saturday morning!

Watching those guys hoisting boat, driver and 6 cyl Merc up out of the water only to start them with a rope! is all I

needed for a weekend. Every year they came and every year I was there watching the slow progression of new technology.

When tuned pipes hit the scene I took notice that it took a whole lot less cylinders to go faster. The volume of those class

boats grew so large that they severely crowded the streets around the event. Contestants would manuver their boat &

trailer over a 1/4 mile (on steep grade) to get a shot at the lake and record.

It was a marvelous time that will likely never happen again. The "new agers" have been trying to stop the event for years

and it has been recently ruled that the event has been going on so long that it must remain,, Phewww,, How Cool is That!

JW

Thanks all.

You are right Jerry, a time that will never happen again. Those old marathon races must have been really fun to drive in. Glad I got to see some of it when I was a kid.

I still can't believe no one has commented on this . This is 1987 , 2.4 litre Mercury Carbed motor ..this record still stands TODAY !!! anyone who has driven even a stock Allison knows they don't drive themselves ...especially at 129 MPH !! awesome video just retrieved from super 8 film footage ..

Tom actually over a hundered in any V-bottom you don't drive. You just "Point and Pray"

One more memory from my youth.

Every summer we would go to are shore house in Stone Harbor NJ. The next door neighbor had a merk dealership and sold Baja boats. He would bring home the demo boat a 16' Baja with a 150 merk. The 18' chopper prop looked like the terminators n#!. He would take me and his daughter out in the sound on good nights when water was like glass. We weighted about the same has he did. Made perfect balance for the boat.

He had the boat on radar gun by him self at 96mph. This was about 1975ish. I Will never forget watching the rooster tail grow as he trimmed the boat. One of those memories you will never forget.

One more memory from my youth.Every summer we would go to are shore house in Stone Harbor NJ. The next door neighbor had a merk dealership and sold Baja boats. He would bring home the demo boat a 16' Baja with a 150 merk. The 18' chopper prop looked like the terminators n#!. He would take me and his daughter out in the sound on good nights when water was like glass. We weighted about the same has he did. Made perfect balance for the boat.

He had the boat on radar gun by him self at 96mph. This was about 1975ish. I Will never forget watching the rooster tail grow as he trimmed the boat. One of those memories you will never forget.

Whoooaa!!

Back in the late 70's I had a Merc 1500XS (150hp shortshaft) on a 15 footer that ran an honest 73-74 mph pulling a 28 pitch cleaver. That was a legal weight J/Production boat. I believe the APBA Kilo record at that time for J/P was about 78mph. Your neighbor should have raced that 96mph Baja. Or maybe calibrated his "radar gun". Even uside down 69mph would have been a stretch. Tim Tinus running an 18'factory Baja at the Powerboat Shootout in St Louis managed 82mph with a V-6 Mercury 225. Single seater raceboat no interior. Probably as fast as a Baja in that era was capable of.

One more memory from my youth.Every summer we would go to are shore house in Stone Harbor NJ. The next door neighbor had a merk dealership and sold Baja boats. He would bring home the demo boat a 16' Baja with a 150 merk. The 18' chopper prop looked like the terminators n#!. He would take me and his daughter out in the sound on good nights when water was like glass. We weighted about the same has he did. Made perfect balance for the boat.

Whoooaa!!

Back in the late 70's I had a Merc 1500XS (150hp shortshaft) on a 15 footer that ran an honest 73-74 mph pulling a 28 pitch cleaver. That was a legal weight J/Production boat. I believe the APBA Kilo record at that time for J/P was about 78mph. Your neighbor should have raced that 96mph Baja. Or maybe calibrated his "radar gun". Even uside down 69mph would have been a stretch. Tim Tinus running an 18'factory Baja at the Powerboat Shootout in St Louis managed 82mph with a V-6 Mercury 225. Single seater raceboat no interior. Probably as fast as a Baja in that era was capable of.
This is what he told me the radar gun was the police chief of Cape May's gun and supposedly his boat did 98mph. The prop coast $750 (allot of money in 75) and it was a piece of art no cleaver. Then again I was just a kid at the time.

The chief's boat looked like it had wings on the front of it can't remember what make it was but it was striped down to nothing. The Baja was all stock and brand new black with 3/8" silver flake in the paint and bright red interior with every opt. bin In a few 70 plus bass boats no comparison. His mechanic did some work to the eng. not sure what but he did just get back from Merck school.

This is just from what I remember it was along time ago an I was very young but the cars on the road going 55+ next to the canal were getting passed like thy were standing still and we weren't even full throttle or trimmed.

He would always laugh at me because I would have to pull start my suicide 6 because the battery was always dead.

Whoooaa!!

This is what he told me the radar gun was the police chief of Cape May's gun and supposedly his boat did 98mph. The prop coast $750 (allot of money in 75) and it was a piece of art no cleaver. Then again I was just a kid at the time.

The chief's boat looked like it had wings on the front of it can't remember what make it was but it was striped down to nothing. The Baja was all stock and brand new black with 3/8" silver flake in the paint and bright red interior with every opt. bin In a few 70 plus bass boats no comparison. His mechanic did some work to the eng. not sure what but he did just get back from Merck school.

This is just from what I remember it was along time ago an I was very young but the cars on the road going 55+ next to the canal were getting passed like thy were standing still and we weren't even full throttle or trimmed.

He would always laugh at me because I would have to pull start my suicide 6 because the battery was always dead.
David,

I surely don't want to burst you childhood bubble here. In 1975 the fastest APBA class was Mod-U. Factory 6 cyl-6carb T2X Mercs and OMC 8 carb Stranglers were trying to break 100 and most ran low 90's. Drivers like Jimbo McConnel, Buck Thornton, Reggie Fountain, and Billy Seebold surley ran faster than the Chief?. This is all prior to V-6's. 150 Mercs were lucky to hit in the 70's on Hydrostreams and Allisons. Baja's and Checkmates were heavy and rarely raced competetively. My cleaver cost $300 from Ron Hill and was state of the art back then. I used to kill a lot of 80 mph boats with a 74 mph on its best day rig. Funny how many lake racers are capable of breaking established world records. Just beer and bulls**t

Mark bring your Allison to Charleston and fire it up. Would be a real treat for everyone.

Mic

Latest posts

Back