RC Memories

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting thread. I know this boat has been around Dist.8 for a longer than me, but it was my first boat, my dad originally got it from Tom Dudley , but from what I had understood it had several hands in its history, including your dad JR. I got it around 35 yrs ago.

Attachments

• 20200321_172400.jpg
    20200321_172400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
I've been thinking of this story for the past few weeks. A neighbor got me into RC boating back around 1968. He ran a fiberglass mono hull with and OS 40 side exhaust front intake engine and Citizenship analog proportional radio. He was a typesetter at a small local newspaper and scaled me up the plans for a Lil Huey 4 point hydro. Built out of wood it was around 32-36" long and had an ST 65 RR ABC in it with a Controlaire Reed Radio in it. Toggle switches on the transmitter to control the servos - wasn't a proportional radio.

He told me about an outrigger a guy as I recall, from Delano, CA built. Used a piece of 2" EMT (electrical metallic tubing) for the center hull, cutout for an OS or ST 60/65. The boat was a 3 point hydroplane and my neighbor Cliff Madsen had 8mm movies of it running that he showed me. The boat used the radio box for the rear section with the strut mounted under it and rudder behind it. For outriggers he used a regular aluminum landing gear strut for an airplane mounted under the engine, to wood front sponsons. Called it the Water Bug and ran it in the 67/68 time frame out there in NAMBA district 9. Not sure if he raced it or not.

Back