radio setups with weeder boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbnate804

whats the best radio setup to run in a boat with a gas motor in it? i've heard some people say you can't run am radios cuz it'll glitch and flip out and i've heard others say they done it for year with no problem. what do you guys think?

nate

I would not run AM radios with gas boats. I have seen bad things happen. When they switch to FM or PCM, problems go away.

Brian

bbnate804 said:
whats the best radio setup to run in a boat with a gas motor in it?  i've heard some people say you can't run am radios cuz it'll glitch and flip out and i've heard others say they done it for year with no problem.  what do you guys think?
nate

98941[/snapback]

bbnate804 said:
whats the best radio setup to run in a boat with a gas motor in it?  i've heard some people say you can't run am radios cuz it'll glitch and flip out and i've heard others say they done it for year with no problem.  what do you guys think?
nate

98941[/snapback]

I have seen many gassers run on am without trouble, but you MUST use a sparkplug that is a resistor type, or you will have interference.

:D

I wouldn't run any boat with an AM radio. Do you REALLY want to trust your pride & joy to a $50 radio??? This is something that continues to baffle me, people spend $1000, $1500 or more on a boat then rely on a cheap radio that operates in one of the most cluttered & dirty bandwiths out there. I just don't get it. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
see thats the beauty of this. its a piece together setup. with next to nothing involved. donated motor, low cost haul, if i end up with more then 100 in the whole deal i'll be surprised. thats why i ask. the idea was to try and give somebody something to play with, without taken a second loan. if it can be done merely with a resistor plug then its good in my book. if i'm in for a boat thats going to go screaming towards the shore i dont want to waste my time. keep the comments, suggestions, and input coming.

nate

i apologize guys, i see where i put "whats the best..." thats my fault. i think you guys have a better idea what i'm working with now from the previous post.

nate

bbnate804 said:
i apologize guys, i see where i put "whats the best..."  thats my fault.  i think you guys have a better idea what i'm working with now from the previous post.
nate

98968[/snapback]

Even for the sake of safety & piece of mind I'd go FM if you can swing it. Here's a good deal on a Futaba FM radio that won't bust your wallet-

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXGAG2**&P=0

It's taking a chance. With everything brand new and tight you can get away with it but as the engine wears and the bolts loosen you could experience glitches. So since your putting together a lot of second hand worn parts i would not risk it. One more opinion. B)

a very good point. this is why i ask these questions publicly. thats something i wouldnt' have thought of. one more thing taken to consideration.

nate

bbnate804 said:
see thats the beauty of this.  its a piece together setup.  with next to nothing involved.  donated motor, low cost haul, if i end up with more then 100 in the whole deal i'll be surprised.  thats why i ask.  the idea was to try and give somebody something to play with, without taken a second loan.  if it can be done merely with a resistor plug then its good in my book.  if i'm in for a boat thats going to go screaming towards the shore i dont want to waste my time.  keep the comments, suggestions, and input coming.
nate

98967[/snapback]

I've run an AM radio and resistor plug in my gas boat for quite a while with no problems. However, I have seen a loose bolt cause problems for others and I plan to go to FM as soon as I can.

-Mike

what about a failsafe? would a failsafe take any kind of action in the event of a glitch?

nate

by the time you pay for a failsafe and a AM radio you could have gotten a FM model.

If you already have an AM radio It would probbly be OK ro run it at first but in the long term I would recommend switching to FM. $100 is cheap.

Back