Radio selection

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadstoys5

Supporting Member
Hey fellow modelers/boaters help me out. I have a bunch of hulls and I'm finally getting around to running again. I have the Silver JR 3ch radios, the Airtronics M8's etc. I have been using the DX (I think its called) Hi Tec receivers in the gas boats and the airtronics blue receivers in the Nitro stuff. With all the latest stuff going 2.4 ghz what is the hot setup and what do you recommend? I have the following hulls:

Seaducer(s) .21, .45, .67 & .91 Monos (Nitro)

Roadrunner Hydro's .21, .45, .67 & .91 (Nitro)

1/8th Scales (6) all CMB .67's except for one Picco .67

R/C Marine Designs (P/T) Sport 45 CMB Nitro

Stryker Gas Cat BTB 260

Cajun Bullet Gas Hydro Mod 260

Gas Mono's

What should I be doing as far as my approach to radio equipment, batteries, servos etc. I will need to purchase batteries as my Ni-Cad fleet is dead.

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks, Tom

message me at [email protected]

Stick with JR as far as batteries go go to batteriesamerica.com they have everything you can imagine and great prices. Robert ps also JR is the only one out there to give you a 3 year warrenty on everything

Last edited by a moderator:
Ihave to agree with M&M the JR is a good radio never had any problems with it unless the RX got wet plus with that many boats it would cost you a small fortune to go to 2.4 plus changing to a different channel is simple

Gavin

If you want to convert to 2.4 the Futaba 3PKS with the 2.4 FASST system is the ticket. The 3PKS will do 20 different named models and with the 603FS dual antenna (one internal, one external) RX's you'll have a great set up. I prefer Batteries America for my nihm battery packs, 5 cell 6 volt 2150 mah (Do not run 4.8v packs with the 2.4 systems). Been buying from them for years and the service has been excellent. B)

If you want to convert to 2.4 the Futaba 3PKS with the 2.4 FASST system is the ticket. The 3PKS will do 20 different named models and with the 603FS dual antenna (one internal, one external) RX's you'll have a great set up. I prefer Batteries America for my nihm battery packs, 5 cell 6 volt 2150 mah (Do not run 4.8v packs with the 2.4 systems). Been buying from them for years and the service has been excellent. B)
but Don that is 1500$ + just in recievers not including the radio and thats at 89$ a reciever :lol:

And no warranty on futaba where there is a 3 year on JR.
Wrong.

<a href="http://www.futaba-rc.com/warranty.html" target="_blank">http://www.futaba-rc.com/warranty.html</a>

JR does not make a 2.4 surface radio from the factory, only the 12X air/heli radio is a factory DSM radio. All surface radios are FM or PCM modulation from JR, the Spektrum units are conversions through Horizon, the JR importer. The Spektrum conversions have proved less than adequate in marine applications in multiple instances, threads on that are on here & on JRCBD.

All Spektrum products are one year warranty-

<a href="http://www.spektrumrc.com/About/Warranties.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.spektrumrc.com/About/Warranties.aspx</a>

Also remember that Futaba & JR will both void your warranty if they find stuff like Corrosion X on circuitry boards.

I have converted all my boats to the FASST system using a 3PK & the 603FS RX's & they have worked great. I run all antennas up out of the radio box in the vertical position as per Futaba's recommendation. I was also still able to use 2 RX's in the twins with the FASST system which I could not do with another unit I was considering. From personal experience I can recommend the FASST system without reservation. B)

Hey fellow modelers/boaters help me out. I have a bunch of hulls and I'm finally getting around to running again. I have the Silver JR 3ch radios, the Airtronics M8's etc. I have been using the DX (I think its called) Hi Tec receivers in the gas boats and the airtronics blue receivers in the Nitro stuff. With all the latest stuff going 2.4 ghz what is the hot setup and what do you recommend? I have the following hulls:
Seaducer(s) .21, .45, .67 & .91 Monos (Nitro)

Roadrunner Hydro's .21, .45, .67 & .91 (Nitro)

1/8th Scales (6) all CMB .67's except for one Picco .67

R/C Marine Designs (P/T) Sport 45 CMB Nitro

Stryker Gas Cat BTB 260

Cajun Bullet Gas Hydro Mod 260

Gas Mono's
Do you run all these boats in a single day? If not, decide the max number you expect to run, add one (to give you a spare), and get that many Futaba R603FS receivers and battery packs and a Futaba 3PKS with 2.4. When I switched to 2.4, I realized there was another advantage. The really short antenna is much easier to deal with. Changing receivers no longer includes the hassle of fishing the antenna through the long tube.

JR does make a specrum radio they came out with this like 5 months ago and cheaper again then futaba also JR makes a 2.4 only 249.

Don you do know that Futaba sucks right :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding Ive had a few and they were great on the cars I ran just get your pantys out of the wad they are in It looks looks like M&M has a thing for JR so to each his or her thier own

Gavin :p

but Don that is 1500$ + just in recievers not including the radio and thats at 89$ a reciever :lol:
$1,500.00 ........ almost how much Exxon/Mobile makes every second ;) ;) :blink: :blink: :blink:

Just a bad taste in my mouth over futaba i got trated badly had to wait so long to get things back never had this trouble with JR wont go back. Piper mentioned about price just because you pay more for something doesnt make it better all the time you have to do your research.

Chuck's suggestion is a good one. I'd been using both the Futaba 3PK and 3VCS (stick version of the 3PK) synthesized on 27 mhz and then transitioned to 2.4 boat by boat. Have had zero issues with both radios. Just got the new 4PK radio which is built as a 2.4 only. This radio layout, balance, and light weight are awesome. If you have the budget to spend immediately or over time, transition to 2.4 is a good investment for a stable frequency platform. If not you've got some pretty good radios to work with in your inventory right now.

Good luck!

no problems with my Futaba 3PM FASST using 603FF recievers, with the antenna inside the radio box :)

JR does make a specrum radio they came out with this like 5 months ago and cheaper again then futaba
Buying the "cheaper" Spektrum system will seem like false economy when, not if, you start losing control and your boat crashes into the shore. If you don't believe this, just do a search here or on Jim's.

i believe the only other system besides Futaba that incorperates the channel hopping DSM (unlike Spektrum) is Airtronics.... but have not heard much about anyone using their system yet.

Hi Don,

Why do you say not to run 4.8v packs with 2.4 systems. Just curious? been runnin 2 boats this summer

on 4.8v.

mark, futaba says 6 for reciever on 2.4 gig. why would you want to run 4.8 in a boat? 6 volt for more torque and speed, weight differance is minimal

mark, futaba says 6 for reciever on 2.4 gig. why would you want to run 4.8 in a boat? 6 volt for more torque and speed, weight differance is minimal
Just what fits well in my radio box, no problems with torque or speed, or otherwise. I remember the B boat used to be

4.8 not too long ago? You guys were using.

Hi Don,

Why do you say not to run 4.8v packs with 2.4 systems. Just curious? been runnin 2 boats this summer

on 4.8v.
Just what fits well in my radio box, no problems with torque or speed, or otherwise. I remember the B boat used to be

4.8 not too long ago? You guys were using.
Are you saying you are running Futaba 2.4 receivers on 4.8 volts? If so, it's against Futaba's published requirements for the receiver. From the 3PK manual, R603FS receiver: "Power requirement: 6V Nicd battery" and from the 3PM manual: "Always use R603FF under the following conditions:

Power supply: 6V NiCd battery"

Back