Radio Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellard

I am building a Whiplash Sport 40 as my first boat, and I need to buy a radio. I have a couple of old Futaba Magnum AM radios. Would these be reliable for a boat, or do they not have enough range?

I'm not going to spend the money on a Spread Spectrum system, so lets not go there. I've already read the other threads.

Are there any reliablity issues with the synthesized systems? These systems use radio channels, but allow you to easily select a channel, correct? Radios such as the Futaba 3 PKS, Hitec Aggressor CRX, and the JR XS3 fall into this category, correct? Are servos interchangeable between these brands?

I'm leaning toward the JR XS3 as it seems to be the best value. Aside from spread spectrum systems, any recommendations? I'm leaning toward a 3-channel radio, incase I want to use remote mixing in the future.

Thanks for the advice.

Josh

If money is a concern, you can get really good deals on systems like the 3PJS as people sell them off and convert to 2.4. I'm partial to Futaba so of the newer models, I like the 3PM and the 3PK. I recently switched from a 3PJS, which worked really well, to a 3PK on 2.4(which cost me less than $300 including a receiver). The big benefit I see with the 3PK is that the menus are way easier to navigate than they were on the 3PJS. You can get a synthesized transmitter module for the 3PK, but given the move to 2.4, frequency conflicts are becoming less of an issue for those who haven't converted. Also, since the systhesized transmitters and receivers cost more than the standard ones, the value of them given the availability of 2.4 is questionable.

Your old systems might work ok, but after you put all the time into your new boat, do you really want to have the radio be the weakest link? If you're going to try them, I would at a minimum send them in for service to make sure they're still ok.

Some synthesized RX's really don't like to get wet, even more so than any other one. The JR has a really slow 3rd channel and as I like to say, for a 3-channel radio it's a great 2-channel system.

Yes, the servos are interchangable.

If the 3rd channel does not have a rotary type dial isn't it useless for mixing?
not at all. a button or switch will work just as well, maybe better. a rotary dial could be turned too much or too little, while concentrating on driving. a switch or button, 1 push is 1 step (or click), more accurate & repeatable, imho. i use the jr xs-3, great range & adjustment. third channel works fine for me, it has a lot of options to set it up, ron. about the same as my son's futaba 3pk, as far as speed. be nice, rick, this ain't drew :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one for sale and it has been great for me. It is three channel FM radio. It comes with three crystals 61,65 and three of 64 and two recievers. Im asking 150 for all. Let me Know what you think. Thanks Joe

PC090001.JPG

PC090002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Futaba 3PM FASST you can get a proportional third channel by assigning it to one of the digital trims DT1 through DT4.

If the 3rd channel does not have a rotary type dial isn't it useless for mixing?
Useless for mixing what?

What do you plan to use the 3rd channel for?
I was referring to mixing fuel and air, but if you use it for other more creative mixes please tell. The next best mix that comes to mind would be Beam and Coke.
OK, Just wanted to make sure you were talking 3rd channel fuel mixture.

you can assign that function to a number of switches on the radio, we have assigned it to one of the switches that would be activated by your thumb while holding the radio. Convienent, and you don't have to take your eyes off your boat to adjust it.

And my mix is RUM & anything (VooDoo Juice comes to mind)

I was told by the local hobby shop that the 3rd channel on the Futaba 3PM was actuated by a single button. When the button was pressed the servo was fully actuated, and if the button was pressed again the servo went the other way. I couldn't see how this would be useful for fine tuning an air/fuel mix.

After downloading the owners manual for the 3PM, it appears that pressing the 3rd channel button allows you to make adjustments using the + and - buttons. I assume there is an option to adjust the rate at which the + and - buttons actuate the servo. Now I can understand how this would be useful for to adjust mix. Any 3PM users please tell me if this is how the 3rd channel functions?

I would prefer to stick with Futaba, and the 3 PM is an affordable option. I have an old Magnum Jr. that I've had since I was about 12 (18 years) and it still works flawlessly, although it is not used much. It is in an old Team Losi Jr - T if any one remembers those.

Thanks,

Josh

Look at page 55 of the 3PM manual. You can set the control of channel 3 to one of the DT "trims". It is set to SW2 by default and when using that setting is essebtially ON/OFF. Setting channel 3 to DT-1, DT-2, DT-3, or DT-4 will make it a fully proportional channel controlled by one of those DT levers.

The + & - adjustment you are talking about controls the total throw, like the EPA adjustment.

To use as a mixture adjustment simply assign channel three to one of the 4 above noted trims, and trim away.

Latest posts

Back