SPEKTRUM RADIO OWNERS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I understand that the Futaba is the way to go for some of you guys. I was inquiring about SPECTRUM RADIOS ONLY NOT FUTABA OR ANY OTHER BRAND. Thanks for all of the comments. Thanks Dan

Yup. It's like Jevoah's Witnesses knocking on your door at times.

Remember when there were a bunch of Futaba's where the battery covers wouldn't stay on? You'd see them all the time at races where they were rubber-banded or duct taped on. Gee, nobody talked about those!

You're going to buy what you want no matter what anyone in here says.

I've got the best of both worlds...my 3pk with the fasst module and the Spektrum module! Sure I can't run the marine receivers on that module, but that's why I got the fasst one lol

Guys... I KNOW that some of you are very old (age, in-spirit, body vs. mind, etc...
default_tongue.png
), but you REALLY need to stop clinging so much to the past...

Spektrum Marine compatible surface TX/RX systems haven't had reception issues since, well, since they became Marine compatible.

HI Dan,

I have used Spektrum radio DX3 and DX3.0 in tunnel boats when they first came out. Years ago, before most even had brushless outboards. The boats were using the rx's that came with the radio, non marine. Never a problem mounted properly with aeriel out the top. Not once did I have an issue on water like most every person says, even the SPEK people. NEVER. Never ever did the tunnel boat fail with a car esc Sr300, 3000.

I have updated to DX3C and DX4S with marine rx's over the years and they run great guns. Running the marine MR2's and 3's, friggen awesome.

I purchased Spek as it was at my lhs, well priced. I don't hate Futaba either. I think most of the people here have there nickers in a knot over brands mate. Mine is better than yours. Clowns.

I dont think it is a brand issue, i have tried many radios including JR but went back to Futaba and not because of the Brand name CLOWN

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased Spek as it was at my lhs, well priced. I don't hate Futaba either. I think most of the people here have there nickers in a knot over brands mate. Mine is better than yours. Clowns.
nah, it's a "my way is the only right way" mindset.

Even though I use Futaba myself, I'm not going to push it. Going back a few posts, I don't think it's so much a brand issue(agreeing to an extent with Mr Pickard) as much as it is a familiarity issue and reputation. All manufacturers set up their own operating system and menus so, once someone gets used to that system, it's harder to use another brand. It's not coincidence that if you go to a flying field, you will find one brand dominant. This is due, to a large extent, to what the instructor pilots tell their students to buy. Once the students solo, they have gotten used to the way their radio works and will replace/upgrade with the same brand and, as has been illustrated so prominently, will recommend that brand or even the model they use to others. When it comes to Futaba FASST users, they even push the transmission type above the brand or model. This was illustrated in another thread here in the forum where other Futaba users couldn't see that the FHSS systems were just as capable as the FASST systems and could be a better value for some people than the FASST.

As far as reputation, the Spektrum system is still fighting to overcome the "lost boat" issues from when it first came into the market. Having personally seen boats hit the bank due to radio issues that "vanished" back on the stand, I wouldn't buy one back them either, especially being used to a Futaba PCM system. Since the marine receivers have been developed, I've seen no one have the problems of losing a boat due to radio waves reflecting off the water

We had the antenna sticking out of our boat with the Spectrum DX3 and lost radio still. It's not a brand thing, it's a receiver issue. For a little bit more money you can get a radio and a receiver that come with the radio that won't do that. You don't have to spend extra money on marine receivers. It just works.

. Since the marine receivers have been developed, I've seen no one have the problems of losing a boat due to radio waves reflecting off the water
Just to be clear... the issue with the earlier Spektrum RX's wasn't a matter of the signals "reflecting" off the water. It was due to the fact that the surface RXs were a "low-power" protocol, making them legal for sale in both the USA and in European markets. I don't think that boating was high on the priority list. Attenuation over water was occurring (something about the properties of the water were pulling the signal waves "down" towards the water's surface).

The Marine RX's are a High-Powered protocol, essentially the same as used on the airplanes, so this issue was pretty much eliminated.

The newest RXs for surface have been designed to work better for both. (SRS4210, SR410, etc)

Specctrum had a nice attitude. When I had a problem with mine they offered to fix it by selling me another reciver at full price.

I will never buy another Spectrum product again.

I'm still wondering just how good can a product really be when they can't even spell "FAST" correctly?? I mean, for goodness sake, even the machine printing the decal skipped a beat when trying to print that word...
default_tongue.png

And, then, just last night... I opened up the radio box of a VS-1 Tunnel that I picked up from the estate of one of our founding members who passed away a couple of years ago, and for found THIS **** thing inside... (see attached pic)

What the HECK am I supposed to do with that thing?
default_blink.png
default_biggrin.png

And, in case you are concerned... I AM JUST KIDDING AROUND, Guys!!

20140728_193912.jpg

20141001_163454.jpg

I'm still wondering just how good can a product really be when they can't even spell "FAST" correctly?? I mean, for goodness sake, even the machine printing the decal skipped a beat when trying to print that word...
default_tongue.png

And, then, just last night... I opened up the radio box of a VS-1 Tunnel that I picked up from the estate of one of our founding members who passed away a couple of years ago, and for found THIS **** thing inside... (see attached pic)

What the HECK am I supposed to do with that thing?
default_blink.png
default_biggrin.png

And, in case you are concerned... I AM JUST KIDDING AROUND, Guys!!
Sell it to me for a real good price,,, or just give it to me!!!!

Just aquired a Futaba 3PMx and need an RX to complete the system

. Since the marine receivers have been developed, I've seen no one have the problems of losing a boat due to radio waves reflecting off the water
Just to be clear... the issue with the earlier Spektrum RX's wasn't a matter of the signals "reflecting" off the water. It was due to the fact that the surface RXs were a "low-power" protocol, making them legal for sale in both the USA and in European markets. I don't think that boating was high on the priority list. Attenuation over water was occurring (something about the properties of the water were pulling the signal waves "down" towards the water's surface).

The Marine RX's are a High-Powered protocol, essentially the same as used on the airplanes, so this issue was pretty much eliminated.

The newest RXs for surface have been designed to work better for both. (SRS4210, SR410, etc)

You are probably right Darin, it very well could have been a power protocol issue since I'm not an expert on Spektrum systems. What I do know, being a former Navy comnavradar tech, is that high frequency signals can be reflected by water. That is why some radar systems will register "ground clutter" over nothing but water. Water is known to attenuate high frequency signals which is why long range radios were tuned to run in the VLF band rather than the HF, VHF or UHF bands. I remember listening to an Astros game in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a VLF radio back in the 80s. No other system could pick it up and we were several hundred miles from shore at the time

You are probably right Darin, it very well could have been a power protocol issue since I'm not an expert on Spektrum systems.
I don't claim expertise. I'm just telling you what the Spektrum engineers told me when we were developing and testing the MR-series of receivers.

Well the question in my mind ( and I think it is very relevant) will the Marine receivers work in DSMR or DSM2???? Heck, maybe the new regular stock DSMR receiver will work great in boats. The waterproof conformal coating is a plus, too.

Say what you will about the old Spektrums, There is a reason Spektrum has gone to DSMX and DSMR, and the reason is they work better and people have come to expect near perfection from an expensive radio system.

Back