Radio box Switch?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter12195

What is your preference for radio box switch setups to avoid water entry and accidental switch offs??

Thanks,

Scott Norris

I've used a Du-Bro Kwik-Switch mount for ages. One small hole for installation, and its watertight. Position your switch so that "on" is pushed in, "off" is pulled out. This will help avoid the majority of switch-related accidents.. You want to put the switch in "plain sight" so that retrieve-boat crews can turn off your reciever.

I like to wire mine up with the below switch. To move the switch, it must be pulled out to move either way so it can not be turned off/on by mistake. It is also waterproof.

switch2.jpg

Mark.

OB Nut said:
I like to wire mine up with the below switch. To move the switch, it must be pulled out to move either way so it can not be turned off/on by mistake. It is also waterproof.
switch2.jpg

Mark.

97231[/snapback]

Where'd you get that Mark?

I got that off fleebay. Bought 10 later from the gent, but it was at a higher price than what Rossi Sales has them listed for. Plus, the least amount I could get were 10 at one time.

Mark.

What is the census on these Rossi switches shown in the picture? I recently bought one but have not used it yet. Are they really waterproof? I want to make sure before I install it.

Thanks, David

David,

The switch I posted is not from Rossi. I looked at the site and did not see a pic of the one there, might not have found it though. Mine is waterproof as many have been under water several times.

Mark.

Thanks Mark:

The switch from Rossi looks identical to the one posted above, just wondered if anyone had tried the Rossi switch to see if it is waterproof.

Thanks, David

david cox said:
Thanks Mark:
The switch from Rossi looks identical to the one posted above, just wondered if anyone had tried the Rossi switch to see if it is waterproof.

Thanks, David

97281[/snapback]

Yes, it's waterproof. Works great

Russell Bear said:
david cox said:
Thanks Mark:

Thanks, David

97281[/snapback]

Yes, it's waterproof. Works great

97282[/snapback]

Just a little heads up on the switch in question, the barrel which your fingers

touch to activate it will unscrew, take it off and loctite. I learned the hard way.

David the switch in the pic,you can buy it at electrosonic for $4.00 that is in toronto victoria park and steeles.and yes they are waterproof.back in the 80s we used that switch on all the boats.now i just use the du-bro

Nikos

Guys,

Have you ever considered a "bus-bar" type switch? Take a look at these pictures:

Radio ON

Radio OFF

Just take a couple of brass slotted pan head machine screws and solder your switch lead into the slot (you'll have to figure out the rest of the wiring on your own). Drill holes where you want the switch placed. With the head of the screw on the inside and a brass nut on the outside, glue the screws in to the holes (do NOT use silicone). After it sets up, silicone over the screw heads and wires so as to seal it and prevent breaking the wires off at the solder joint. Make up your bus-bar so that it hinges on one screw with a slot in the other end that slips over the other screws, and thread on a couple brass thumb nuts (lamp turn knobs).

Ever since I started using this approach, I have not had a single switch related radio problem. When you're ready to start the boat, just flip the bus bar into place and tighten BOTH thumb nuts. So far, I have never had it vibrate loose. In fact, I often have to take a pair of pliers to the thumb nuts to turn the radio off.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Hi Nick:

Were you really building boats way back in the 80's!!!?? I was knee high to a grasshopper back then!

-David

I've been using the Du-Bro switch mounts but have slowly been going over to ones similar to the one OB Nut showed except mine have 6 prongs on them. I saw the ones above used at the Internats on a lot of boats and I do like them much better with the positive on-off detents to prevent accidental turn-offs.

You learn a lot working in the pits and driving the retrieve boat at a big race. :)

Brad Christy said:
Guys,
Have you ever considered a "bus-bar" type switch? Take a look at these pictures:

Radio ON

Radio OFF

Just take a couple of brass slotted pan head machine screws and solder your switch lead into the slot (you'll have to figure out the rest of the wiring on your own). Drill holes where you want the switch placed. With the head of the screw on the inside and a brass nut on the outside, glue the screws in to the holes (do NOT use silicone). After it sets up, silicone over the screw heads and wires so as to seal it and prevent breaking the wires off at the solder joint. Make up your bus-bar so that it hinges on one screw with a slot in the other end that slips over the other screws, and thread on a couple brass thumb nuts (lamp turn knobs).

Ever since I started using this approach, I have not had a single switch related radio problem. When you're ready to start the boat, just flip the bus bar into place and tighten BOTH thumb nuts. So far, I have never had it vibrate loose. In fact, I often have to take a pair of pliers to the thumb nuts to turn the radio off.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

97291[/snapback]

Brad, Your right about that set-up on a switch, it is fail-safe. You just have to

rely on the wiring inside after installed, like any other switch. It takes the switch

out of the radio problem issues. I first saw that on John Browns boats, and I'll

bet he will tell ya he's never had a problem with that set-up.

Mark,

I talked to John about his set-up at the Charleston, SC race a couple years ago. They actually use ny-lock nuts instead of thumb nuts. They tighten them with a plug wrench. They started using this set-up for the same reason I did: they got tired of the switch going south while the boat was running.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad Christy said:
Mark,
I talked to John about his set-up at the Charleston, SC race a couple years ago. They actually use ny-lock nuts instead of thumb nuts. They tighten them with a plug wrench. They started using this set-up for the same reason I did: they got tired of the switch going south while the boat was running.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

97431[/snapback]

Nice to know, did nylocks loosen, or brass on brass better?

Mark,

I think the Brown Bros. were just making sure they didn't vibrate loose. Like I stated earlier, I've never had the thumb nuts vibrate loose while running.

One piece of advice, though: Don't get distracted talking to a couple of local hilljacks and forget to tighten the nuts up. <_< This sort of thing will bring a tear to your eye...... Don't ask........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back