Radio box Switch?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of using a magnetic reed switch on my next project. The reed switch is a small switch inclosed in a glass tube and is turned on and off when a magnet is placed near it. You can set it up so that the reed switch is inside your radio box and all you have to do is place a magnet by it to turn the radio off.

Just a thought!

Dale P.

rcboatlover said:
I'm thinking of using a magnetic reed switch on my next project.  The reed switch is a small switch inclosed in a glass tube and is turned on and off when a magnet is placed near it.  You can set it up so that the reed switch is inside your radio box and all you have to do is place a magnet by it to turn the radio off. 
Just a thought!

Dale P.

97462[/snapback]

Dale,

I hate reed switches - and I'm sure the other copier techs on this board will agree - they fail due to vibration in photocopiers and a boat would be a LOT worse. When they fail, they fail open circuit too - bad news.

Tim.

rcboatlover said:
I'm thinking of using a magnetic reed switch on my next project.  The reed switch is a small switch inclosed in a glass tube and is turned on and off when a magnet is placed near it.  You can set it up so that the reed switch is inside your radio box and all you have to do is place a magnet by it to turn the radio off. 
Just a thought!

Dale P.

97462[/snapback]

and on more thing.the motor on your servos will create a magnet. so maybe the radio box is just one big magnetic field :lol:

Nikos

With modern Digital servos the load on the switch is greater than ever before. The small waterproof switches are designed for 110 / 240 ac and the contacts jost spring together. I have seen boats in Europe using these and they have had glitches at full rudder and using the throttle at the same time. This after changing to a futaba new large switch was completely cured. I can only assume the loading was breaking down the contacts. If you speak to Futaba they are horrified when people use the small switches the ones designed for your radio are double pole switching and wipe clean the contacts each time. As you can gather I use the original switches and as I have a clear cover ovet the radio I use a 4mm bolt with a piece of silicon over it to block the hole where i use a small screwdriver to turn on and off the radio.

PS do not put the hole directly over the switch!!!!

http://www.iansboats.co.uk/hatch.JPG

The switches that SpeedMaster sells is a fine switch. I like to use a switch made like that but I use a double pole double throw or DPDT locking switch. Cut and soldier the postive lead from the battery to the receiver on both poles and allow the negtive lead to past thru without cutting. This is like have two switches in one package. It is very failsafe.

Mark Bullard

I also use the speedmaster switch, from rossisales.com they dont have it listed on the site, you have to call him, I solder the wires on with heat shrink on them then use shoogoo to form a seal around them, we have 6 or 8 of them & not a problem yet, & I run about every weekend.... I have done another 6 for another boater & no water or complaints...

like mark said blue locktite (sparingly) the end cap as it will come off!!

I also dont like the oring on the base of the switch as it will crack the plexiglas cover, I use a bit of silicone in place of it when I install it......

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
impba3548 said:
I also use the speedmaster switch, from rossisales.com they dont have it listed on the site, you have to call him, I solder the wires on with heat shrink on them then use shoogoo to form a seal around them, we have 6 or 8 of them & not a problem yet, & I run about every weekend.... I have done another 6 for another boater & no water or complaints...
like mark said blue locktite (sparingly) the end cap as it will come off!!

I also dont like the oring on the base of the switch as it will crack the plexiglas cover, I use a bit of silicone in place of it when I install it......

mike

98616[/snapback]

Mike, agree on all above, plus a little Corrosion X don't hurt.

The switch mentioned from Rossisales is identical to the one i use but i got it at Radioshack for 3.95. They come with or without the waterproof/dustproof boot to go over the toggle switch. I have used them for 5 years without any trouble. Make sure to use some shrink tubing over the solder joint to the switch to prevent vibration from breaking the wire( trust me on this ) and you will have a goode sealed switch that works for years to come.

Back