Racing scale Hydro's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonBoushard

I am getting back into racing after sea duty and getting ready for retirement. I love the scale boats but I am nervous about racing them. You put in all that work then it gets run over or what have you and its all lost or severely damaged. MLboatworks has a gas executone I really like but I am wondering how you guys deal with fixing them for a quick turn around . My understanding is they have to be painted and done very close to the real boat.

I am getting back into racing after sea duty and getting ready for retirement. I love the scale boats but I am nervous about racing them. You put in all that work then it gets run over or what have you and its all lost or severely damaged. MLboatworks has a gas executone I really like but I am wondering how you guys deal with fixing them for a quick turn around . My understanding is they have to be painted and done very close to the real boat.
It's just part of the grind man. Accidents happen and you gotta fix what gets tore up. Don't race something you don't want to get tore up.

I've gone threw 4 front canard wings on my T6 and 2 sets of rear wings on it. Just have to deal with it.

I get that I guess I am asking is it as common as it is in the other classes the last race I ran (only been to two because of work) was a beginner class with a big gas mono running everyone over.

when you fix it does it have to be painted to race again or is it something you can fix or paint as you get time?

There are several scale hydros I would like to build I plan on doing some in gas and some in electric.

The electric ones I will show with a local slow scale boat club the big hydros always draw a crowd but that club is elec only. the reason I don't just do them all in electric is I don't like dragging all the batts and charging gear to the lake for racing, a lazy day I don't mind there's no stress to be ready for the next heat.

Would you have spare wings and parts pre done up just incase? that seems the best bet to me but if you dont use it its a waste of money.

There really are no beginner class for gas scale. Just practice until you feel comfortable driving out there with 5 other people. In our district everyone is understanding of boats getting damaged at races. They will never look perfect so I would say if you have to make a repair just do the best you can. The other racers just want to see another boat on the water. I've seen boats ran with half a roll of duck tape on them. I ran with radio box tape on my wings for 6 months.

One of the tails on my Elam is held on with radio box tape and has been since last season. As long as it doesn't fall off and looks good from the beach, all is good in my opinion. As for damage, everyone in my area tries to keep from hitting other boats but, unfortunately, there are those time when you just have no where to go or way to avoid a crash. As for spare parts, they're a good idea. I actually have a spare tail and wing set for the Elam, just can't see putting them on with a replacement hull under construction. Just make sure you take four things when you go to the lake on race day:

Super Glue

Tape(radio box and clear packing tape don't show as much but duct tape still works)

Extra radio gear

A spare engine(when you can afford to have one)

ok that answers some of my questions I thought they got pre judged before each race I guess not. that takes allot of pressure off.

maybe I am confusing a show with scale hydro racing it was the last race of the year I saw, could have been 2 events that I thought were one somehow.

ok that answers some of my questions I thought they got pre judged before each race I guess not. that takes allot of pressure off.
You'll be fine. Just get with your local club and talk to the Scale Guys. 99 percent of the guys want to see you on the water not on the beach and will help out. That's not to say you can't follow the rules but just talk with them. Where are you located!

Last edited by a moderator:
Take lots of pics before the first race.that's my philosophy. If you want to race without the risk of tearing something up then stay out in lane 6.

I love the 1/6 scales. Only problem is the logistics of a really big boat.

If you want to race without the risk of tearing something up then stay out in lane 6.
Either that or stay behind the crowd until after the start. This not only protects your boat but also gives you a chance to learn how to drive on "racewater". As I was told by one of R/C Unlimiteds veteran drivers, "Don't plan on racing the others your first few times out. To do so will only upset the other guys and damage boats as they try to avoid the rookie in their midst. Just go out an run laps until you AND THEY are comfortable running together."

if you go out and run laps, stay clean, and finish 6 laps, you may just end up being the winner! been there done that. i hate lap one, corner one , 6 boats and a lot of confusion and usually crashes.

This was my first full season for Scale racing for me. I went out a practice to get used to running fast. Then I honestly stayed in the back of the pack of others or stay out of the racing lane...lane 6. And I won some heat just running clean and careful. I'm feeling more comfortable now that I will get closer to the race lanes and be competitive. It just a matter of getting it on the water, getting comfortable in a race and get better little at a time.

thanks guys I am going to probably buy a Executone kit from ML Boatworks. For one thing no front wing no rear wing lol. what size motor is the normal for the gas hydros? I plan on staying out of everyones way and not worry about being first just worry about finishing the race. I am just wanting to have a fun day at the lake and have a boat to take back home at the end of the day.

When you say gas, are you looking at "gas scale" or "nitro scale"?

As far as gas goes, it depends on what rulebook you look at:

PNWTA gas scale rule book says "The engine size shall be a maximum of 32.0 cc In total displacement."

IMPBA rule book says "Engine must not exceed a maximum displacement of 31.00cc utilizing a single gasoline fuel
engine with spark ignition and must comply with all IMPBA LSG engine and noise rules
"

NAMBA rule book says "G or GX Class engines from 15 to 31 cubic centimeters"

If you are looking at nitro scale, all boats must have engines no larger than .67cubic inches

I am IMPBA so 31cc is my limit, yes looking at gas scale but wondering if as a newbie I shouldn't start out with a smaller or stock engine and not a hopped up/ large one.

I am IMPBA so 31cc is my limit, yes looking at gas scale but wondering if as a newbie I shouldn't start out with a smaller or stock engine and not a hopped up/ large one.
Lets put it this way if your were buying a Plymouth cuda the 318 was an option but a hemi is better.

Built it right to start with.

My2cents

Ken

yeah Ken I guess I can just not get on it at the beginning. I do have a 1950 dodge pickup with a 360 v8 and 727 3speed wedged into it lol.

Back