Racing / Lets nail it down here...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Since I see we have some heavy hitters in the R/C world checkin in regular, So what ya think, Is it any of the following that wins the most races:

Preperation ?, Equipment ?, Red hot lava in the veins :eek:

Driver skill ?(Well that always helps!!!) Luck?

Sponsorship ?, Help from other racers?

Back at Cha ;)

Gene 8)

Re:Racin/ Lets nail it down here...

Well i think the big one should be consitency that's what wins races that and keeping your cool while running.

offcourse consistency with a really slow boat is also as good as nothing so the equipment should be high on the list as well.

Gene,

I would not call myself a heavy hitter, but from what I have seen you need a very reliable boat that handles very well, but doesn't need to be outstandingly fast (or driven outstandingly fast). That would be about 50%. The rest is a mix of driving skill and tactics! 8)

For example I have sold a couple of my gas boats to fairly new members in my club. For me these boats were quite succesful, I was probably never beaten to a finish (but would DNF my share). But since I have sold them I doubt they have won a race...... Driving is at least 50%!

Ian.

With a X hydro i would say driving is 50% luck is 20% and speed is 30%, with out one of these 3 you will not have much sucess at all,

you have to be able to hold the boat on the bouys and at good speed!

Dale

Great comments Guy's !!!!

I think of the hardest things to learn is holding your lane

when your boat disappears in the roost.

Mike Hoffmiester, a racer I have great respect for put it this way:

Throttle up, Feed in some rudder, Squint and hold on, Try not to shake too bad till you see your boat exit the spray.

One thing I might add is keep a log book of setup for different conditions, Needle settings, prop and pipe lengths, so on.

Gene ;D

Anyone else, Tips and Tricks, Etc........

I'd say a lot of it comes down to the driver - not just ability to drive a tight line - but to be able to nail the start, to drive to the conditions, to get off the throttle quick if the boat gets unsettled, and to cruize to victory if you get a decent lead. A good Pit man helps with most of these. I'd like to say preparation but that never works for me :p If I'm prepared things turn to S$#t in a hurry.

Equipment choice plays a big part and it also depends on your approach to how you use it - in other words - do I really need to use that prop or can I go down 1 size and still be competitive but finish the race no problem?

I try to remember the old saying " to finish 1st, 1st you have to finish."

All of the above pluss what I would I think is the most important

of all!

"THRASHING-THRASHING and more THRASHING"

Preparation and practice are 2 of the biggies. A well prepared with boat spare parts at race time. Practice time is for trying out changes, not race day. Having people helping you out especially when first starting out is important. I have learned so much in the past 2 years on the Internet than I did in almost 28 years of running different forms of R/C. It never hurts to have an experienced boater at the pond with you during those first runs. Sponsorship is not an issue, having fun and meeting new friends from all over is one of the things that I enjoy the most.

Latest posts

Back