*** R42 cat build Zenoah Powered with PICS & VIDS ***

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosta Pags

I have recently purchased and am the proud owner of the very first all "Happy Orange" R42 to be produced by AC Model Boats. I was lucky that an all orange one was available for immediate shipping as the themes in mind for it are either HEMI / DODGE based or Lamborghini Gallardo themed. I would like to thank Dom (ACLazer) for arranging all involved over there making for a very smooth and pleasant transaction. A big thanks needs to go out to Andrew (Faster) here in Melbourne for communicating with Dom and assisting me with the freight to get her here safley at a reasonable price.

Their service and advice has been first class, thanks guys and look forward to working with you to produce and build another fast oval racer cat here in Australia.

I will keep updating this thread as the build progresses with pictures and videos once she has hit the water.

Here are a few pics taken from Doms work bench, I think.

R42-1.jpg

R42-2.jpg

R42-3.jpg

Engine mounts,Coil Iso and Carb standoff arm from Bonzi.

Servos are new Ultra Premium HS-7950TH HV (overkill I know) from Power Hobbies.

Servo Trays, billet switch, a few other bits and pieces and Volt Watch from Horracing.

Futaba R614FF receiver and new 4PKS tx from Hobby Supplies Australia.

New Tacho from Dasboata, thanks once again mate.

SAM_0551.jpg

SAM_0548.jpg

SAM_0554.jpg

The engine mounts are black anodized and the edges are now all polished. They should look great on the new power plant when it arrives for a little added bling.

SAM_0556.jpg

Another day and another package arrives. This time it was the new power plant from Gismo and the new Victory pipe along with some extra hardware. This is a full mod race prepped Zen which should see this new cat at 65mph+. I cant get over just how much compression this motor has !!!! Thanks Bruce for the fast turn around on the motor and pipe and appreciate the great service and communication, not to mention the "free gifts". Took me a little while to assemble as a few custom fabrications had to be made due to the Ezy starter, Bonzi's coil relocator and the coil. Just a heads up to every one, that the Bonzi coil relocator will not fit over the Ezy start pull starter, they are designed for the original Zen pull starter only, hence my new custom coil mounts. Here are a few pictures on the assembled Zen ready for the test fit.

SAM_0560.jpg

SAM_0561.jpg

SAM_0565.jpg

SAM_0566.jpg

The new Victory pipe will be powder coated at the same place that did my M&D pipe. Great work and very reasonable prices for one off coating applications. Im leaning towards the HEMI MOPAR theme so I think so far the motor is resembling a mini big block Keith Black, LOL.

...and my new Cooper Cobra also got delivered today. Great service from Cooper Pipes and I have now three great pipes to try out on this new build. Steel VS Aluminium, looks like some serious time will be spent testing when she hits the water.

SAM_0569.jpg

SAM_0568.jpg

It has finally arrived. Thank you to Andrew (Faster) for arranging the freight for me!! Thanks mate. I received the phone call yesterday morning to let me know it had arrived. Was packed well enough for not to get damaged and I have to say love the colour.

...you will notice that the strut bracket is the wrong type, lucky we had a spare when it came time to install it.

...after unpacking, it was time to start marking her out, drilling the transom and mounting the hardware. I was lucky that Andrew offered to mark out and mount the hardware ensuring they where in the best position, lined up and levelled with me lending a helping hand.

DSC_7077.jpg

DSC_7078.jpg

DSC_7079.jpg

DSC_7080.jpg

DSC_7081.jpg

DSC_7082.jpg

DSC_7083.jpg

...next step was to prepare the radio box and make up some rails as Dom did not have an orange quick release one to sell me. Two thin strip of aluminium were used to make the rails as you can see in the pictures. While I waited for the radio box to cure I started to install the floatation and run the water lines. Once they had cured the assembly of the radio box started to take place.

SAM_0571.jpg

SAM_0573.jpg

SAM_0576.jpg

SAM_0577.jpg

SAM_0579.jpg

SAM_0581.jpg

...14 hours into the build and I find myself ready for the stuffing tube and stuffing box. 11/32 and 5/16ths were used. My fingers and thumbs are killing me, lol. Using a glass table I placed the engine and all the hardware in the hull to determine where the motor needed to be fixed to ensure that the 14 3/4 inch COG was achieved. I taped down on a glass table some dowel and started moving the motor around to find the COG as the radio box was already in its desired position . It took about ten minutes to find the sweet spot and then I marked where the holes needed to be made for the engine mounts. 30 minutes later the motor was mounted into position ready to mark out the hole for the stuffing box.

SAM_0583.jpg

SAM_0585.jpg

SAM_0586.jpg

SAM_0589.jpg

SAM_0590.jpg

SAM_0591.jpg

SAM_0592.jpg

Can't you ditch that ugly blue waterline .. and put decent and maching to orange , black waterline on it ? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Super nice and clean build.Let us know how it runs.I like the strut under the hull keeps the transom clean.

Back