Questions about E-RCU 1/10 Hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forresterace

I find myself becoming more and more interested in 1/10 scale hydro racing.

For those not familiar with this Westcoast club and their marvelous machines, here is a link to some pictures of their latest regatta/race.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v604/JimClar...plug%20Regatta/

Jim - Have you had any luck in finding an alternative motor to the venerable Astro 25?

Believe it or not, these 1/10 scale boats (Vintage Class) are powered by 12 cells only and a mandatory Astro 25 (5 turn) brushed motor.

Here is the link to the club website if you would like to learn more.

http://www.e-rcu.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Right here Doug. Some one of the other clubs in the Seattle Area are experimenting with the SS1 and it is showing some promise. But we in ERCU are sticking with the Astro 25/5 as we have talked to Bob and he is actually making them for us and now keeps a stock of them. We have had no problem in getting them from him. Also boats are traveling at 40 to 45 mph on 12 3300's. Also the Thingap motor I tested was a very nice motor indeed but it would sell for more than an astro so we stayed with the astro.

Jim

forresterace said:
I find myself becoming more and more interested in 1/10 scale hydro racing.
For those not familiar with this Westcoast club and their marvelous machines, here is a link to some pictures of their latest regatta/race.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v604/JimClar...plug%20Regatta/

Jim - Have you had any luck in finding an alternative motor to the venerable Astro 25?

Believe it or not, these 1/10 scale boats (Vintage Class) are powered by 12 cells only and a mandatory Astro 25 (5 turn) brushed motor.

Here is the link to the club website if you would like to learn more.

http://www.e-rcu.org/

95139[/snapback]

Jim

On the subject of potential motors, I was interested to see that Astro is now making a sensorless brushless 25 and 40. The 4 turn 25 has a Kv of 2044 which would put it right on the money for 12 cells. It sells (from Astro) for the same price as the brushed cobalt 25 (airplane version) - $119.00. The only difference in using that one would be the price of the esc. The Castle Barracuda 80 at $179 would be the one to use.

Something like that is probably what we would eventually have to go with but that is not happening soon.

Jim

forresterace said:
JimOn the subject of potential motors, I was interested to see that Astro is now making a sensorless brushless 25 and 40. The 4 turn 25 has a Kv of 2044 which would put it right on the money for 12 cells. It sells (from Astro) for the same price as the brushed cobalt 25 (airplane version) - $119.00. The only difference in using that one would be the price of the esc. The Castle Barracuda 80 at $179 would be the one to use.

95180[/snapback]

Some one of the other clubs in the Seattle Area are experimenting with the SS1 and it is showing some promise.
boats are traveling at 40 to 45 mph on 12 3300's
Boy, if you guys are getting 40-45 mph on the Astro 25/5, I don't think an SS1 will get you close to that, will it? How much current can you pull through the Astro?

All boats will run up to 12 cells.  Cells are sub-c type with a maH rating no higher than 2400.
I was reading through the rules. Oh my, talk about restrictions. I don't understand the battery limitation above. Can you even buy matched 2400s now?

Jeff Shriver said:
All boats will run up to 12 cells.  Cells are sub-c type with a maH rating no higher than 2400.
I was reading through the rules. Oh my, talk about restrictions. I don't understand the battery limitation above. Can you even buy matched 2400s now?

95234[/snapback]

There is a group of gentlemen who have started an 1/10th scale class with our club just this year... They wrote their own set of rules and it seems to be going pretty well to this point... They are running open motors and any battery they wish, currently 3300s... Cell count is up to 14. They are also allowing flexshafts and adjustable struts. I think the drive-dog can't extend beyond the transom, or there is some set limit to keep it close... And, they turn to the right, not the left...

From what I saw this weekend, these guys are going to FLY for boats that large... I was very impressed and I think they put on a heck of a show for their first time out... I'm looking forward to them getting them actually dialed in, because they are flying now... with some tuning, I think the class will REALLY be fun to watch... I think that two of them had brushless motors and the other was trying a 700BB SS1 motor... The two brushless boats really flew... (The Squire Shop LITERALLY flew... several times!! ;) )

I'm sorry, but I don't have a link to their rules, but if you are interested in hearing more about it, you might want to contact Scott or Jim Bickford with Puget Sound Fast Electrics and perhaps they can put you in touch with the guys running 1/10th scale...

Scott Bickford: [email protected]

Jim Bickford: [email protected]

Jeff I think you are reading the wrong clubs rules. There are two similar Clubs in Seattle. You need to read the rules at www.e-rcu.org to get the right rules. In the vintage we run 12 sub C cells of any MAH rating. In the modern 14 cells of any MAH rating.

Jim Clark

Jeff Shriver said:

95234[/snapback]

Jim, 45 MPH out of a Astro 25 5 turn is very impressive. You would give me all I could handle with my P Sport Hydro and Hacker! Have you verified this with Radar or GPS?

There are a few guys who have joind PSFEMBC this year with their 10th scales as Darin mentioned and they really do fly! I was particularly impressed with the SS1 on 14 cells!

If they made the SS1 in a reverse rotation for you guys it might be the ideal replacement. Perhaps a gearbox to reverse the rotation. Just like the real unlimiteds!!!!! You scale guys would be in heaven! Imagine, playing with gear and prop combinations just like the big boats! There are several nice gear systems out there. The Fine Design Turbo Trans it a nice beefy unit that would be more then up to the task!

Dick

Dick the speed was measured with a radar gun that Roger Newton used and the boats are owned and setup By Mike and Jeff Campbell. Mike even put a huge prop on his shovelnoes Miss US last year and made one pass at slightly over 50mph. I say only one pass as the motor was toast aftert he one pass but I think it was using 12 GP3300's. I will say only a couple of boats are capable of that speed most are in the 40 to 43mph range. Right now as the rules are written we could not use a gearbox but you are right an ss1 on a gearbox might be a great alternative if we could reverse it.

Jim

crowebar said:
Jim, 45 MPH out of a Astro 25 5 turn is very impressive. You would give me all I could handle with my P Sport Hydro and Hacker! Have you verified this with Radar or GPS?
There are a few guys who have joind PSFEMBC this year with their 10th scales as Darin mentioned and they really do fly! I was particularly impressed with the SS1 on 14 cells!

If they made the SS1 in a reverse rotation for you guys it might be the ideal replacement. Perhaps a gearbox to reverse the rotation. Just like the real unlimiteds!!!!! You scale guys would be in heaven! Imagine, playing with gear and prop combinations just like the big boats! There are several nice gear systems out there. The Fine Design Turbo Trans it a nice beefy unit that would be more then up to the task!

Dick

95264[/snapback]

Wow, those Cambell guys can really get those boats moving! 45 is still incredible for a Astro 25 - 5 turn let alone 50!!!!. I was never able to get a 5 turn to break into the 40's no matter what prop I tried on it! I could get a 25 - 4 Turn into the low/mid 40's but not a 5 turn and I was running an 11 ounce purpose built 12 cell sport hydro hull for SAW's. The deck was 1/32nd balsa!!! My hat is off to them.

Too bad about the gear box and SS1. That combo might just make that motor compete with the Astro 25. I can sure understand why you don't though. Parity is a real asset for you guys!

Keep up the good work!

Dick

I ran a X646 3 blade in a UL Kunz hull several years ago with a Astro 25, was deck to deck with Alan and Doug Twaits and I was using welded tab stick packs, it can be done. We had 2nd fast time at that event. I don't recall the year but 2400 cells were in than. But I guess it would not compete now.

thanks

Steve

crowebar said:
Wow, those Cambell guys can really get those boats moving! 45 is still incredible for a Astro 25 - 5 turn let alone 50!!!!. I was never able to get a 5 turn to break into the 40's no matter what prop I tried on it! I could get a 25 - 4 Turn into the low/mid 40's but not a 5 turn and I was running an 11 ounce purpose built 12 cell sport hydro hull for SAW's. The deck was 1/32nd balsa!!! My hat is off to them.
Too bad about the gear box and SS1. That combo might just make that motor compete with the Astro 25. I can sure understand why you don't though. Parity is a real asset for you guys!

Keep up the good work!

Dick

95280[/snapback]

I can remember running a 1750 on my 5 turn! You could put some pretty big wheels on that 5 turn. The 4 turn was a little pickier! I think I was running 1400's with mine, but those old 1400's were still pretty good cells. Nothing like the 3300's, but until now what has? I used to think every generation of cell was a little better then the last, but the 3300's have been one giant step forward comparred to the others. The future looks bright.....if we can stay away from Trinity!

Dick

sjslhill said:
I ran a X646 3 blade in a UL Kunz hull several years ago with a Astro 25, was deck to deck with Alan and Doug Twaits and I was using welded tab stick packs, it can be done.  We had 2nd fast time at that event.  I don't recall the year but 2400 cells were in than.  But I guess it would not compete now.
thanks

Steve

crowebar said:

Keep up the good work!

Dick

95280[/snapback]

95337[/snapback]

Back