pulling the plug element in a 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

What would you guys say the most common thing is that pulls the element out of the glow plug and usually mangels it.I head that when you have your pipe set correctly it will pull the element slightly and if it is too lean it will pull it.

The engine is a 7 port from glenn and the pipe is a woods cooper set at 7.5" and the plugs are KB 1L and 50 % nitro in a JAE 21

When i lean on it to get the cackel out of it it runs pretty well but when i check the plug the element is mangeled.

Thanks

sound like bad bearing , bad O ring pipe( air leak) , bad needle value or bad fuel ( pick up) will you look problem solve Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to burn fuel to go fast Terry. They always sound the coolest when they are taking out parts/plugs. When they smooth out they also slow down.

Ron

sounds like the pipe & mixture is close, maybe just a little too much compression.........i've had a couple of engines do this, adding a shim or opening the bowl cured it ;) .

Sounds perfect to me! If the plugs still lights then it is PERFECT! Put it back in and run again. I always PRE-PULL my elements. A "speed secret" I learned from one of the fastest Pylon racers back in the early 1970's. And yes, it makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power.

What would you guys say the most common thing is that pulls the element out of the glow plug and usually mangels it.I head that when you have your pipe set correctly it will pull the element slightly and if it is too lean it will pull it.

The engine is a 7 port from glenn and the pipe is a woods cooper set at 7.5" and the plugs are KB 1L and 50 % nitro in a JAE 21

When i lean on it to get the cackel out of it it runs pretty well but when i check the plug the element is mangeled.

Thanks
"The most common thing" head clearence...add at least 2000 shim

Sounds perfect to me! If the plugs still lights then it is PERFECT! Put it back in and run again. I always PRE-PULL my elements. A "speed secret" I learned from one of the fastest Pylon racers back in the early 1970's. And yes, it makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power.
not doubting, andy just wanting to learn.....pulled or pre pulling i understand, but you feel the mangled part is ok?

not doubting, andy just wanting to learn.....pulled or pre pulling i understand, but you feel the mangled part is ok?
If it is stretched out and not broke it is good. I don't know what he means by mangled. Pushed up in the hole is not good. That is my veiw of mangled. If it is stretch out and pulled toward the exhaust port then that is really good. Just mark the exhaust side of the plug with a sharpie which it's in the engine. Then pull it out and you can see which way the element was being "sucked". Out the exhaust port means the scavenging is working properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah, pushed up in the hole is way bad! i'm thinking of mangled as flattened/squished coils or "mashed" around. pulled, but with the coils still being fairly round & symetrical is good to me. most times i see a plug that looks "hammered", it seems to be a compression issue. not always, i've seen water getting in the chamber do it also.........

My OD Blues get sucked out slightly from scavenging too. I thought that this was a sign of a well tuned setup.

Sounds perfect to me! If the plugs still lights then it is PERFECT! Put it back in and run again. I always PRE-PULL my elements. A "speed secret" I learned from one of the fastest Pylon racers back in the early 1970's. And yes, it makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power.andy , what tool do you use to pull out element....thanks....bob

Sounds perfect to me! If the plugs still lights then it is PERFECT! Put it back in and run again. I always PRE-PULL my elements. A "speed secret" I learned from one of the fastest Pylon racers back in the early 1970's. And yes, it makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power.andy , what tool do you use to pull out element....thanks....bob
bob, i use a thin safety pin or thin pins for clothes (hemming pins), mike.

Thanks guys .i do not know the head volume or clearance .I have tried the HP's terry and it seemed to run colder but i will give it another try later when i am testing.

What i mean by mangled is the element is pulled out and kinda bunched up not always broken and not sucked up in the cavity or missing.

It has been my experience with bad bearing that it will suck the element right out of the plug.This is not the case and all my fittings and couplers and exh gasket seem fine.

I think i am pretty close just had to ask.I also was shown the pull the element trick buy an experienced but young boater...

Andy... in theory, (or whatever).... does pulling the coil achieve gettting the flame front closer to the "bubble" and would it advance the timing ever so slightly?... inherently, i've pulled, and not... and seemed to find it shortens plug life by far?..... Granted i'd not want to be a glowplug in our higher compression engines today. I'm a religious plug watcher, and they do tell the story of whats happening in there, from pulled and good scavenging to black hole stupid mike on the needle..... Steve and Andy both... WHY, was the first question from you guys on what the bowl volume was?... Whats the relationship there?.... inquiring minds.... thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back