proof that its not wise to run boats when the retrieve boat is out

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look closely at bottom left of the second retrieve boat picture, it appears that the retrieve boat has already been repaired once from perhaps another similar occurence.

crazy...

~James

i'm not sure i would go out in the water in what looks like a overgrown styrophome cooler even without the boats running

jim

Just saw this on RCU.... how dumb can you be? (refering to the two pictures at the bottom of the post.)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5733372/tm.htm

~James
Hi Topfuel,

The boats you are referring to in the pictures are FSR-V boats. They run 20 to 30 min enduro heats and if the engine dies in the heat, the pick up boat will go out. When back in the driver is allowed to restart and continue the heat.

Basically the pickup boat is out all the time to pick up boats. As we arranged the WC2006 in Norway last year, the requirement from NAVIGA was that we had to have 2 pick up boats for FSR-V (New for us in Norway as we only run Hydro and Offshore classes). Both were in action most of the time. The drivers are used to it and most of the time this is no problem, but as the picture shows, sometimes...bang! The guys manning the pick up boats at the WC last year had to wear protection gear...

As you are in Germany currently like me, you have plenty of chances to see FSR-V boats in action.

Are you coming to race Hydro at the German Championship race in Nuremberg in May?

Regards,

Stein

Just saw this on RCU.... how dumb can you be? (refering to the two pictures at the bottom of the post.) ~James
Not everyone does it the US way. "They" are even stupid enough to have 12 boats on the water at one time and race for more than 6 laps the "wrong" way :blink: Maybe with the concentration required to race for 20 minute heats and 30 minute finals and turn both ways :huh: "they" can also 99.999% of the time avoid the collection boat......

Hitting the collection boat means DQ, not actively throttling back and steering clear means warnings.......

You are in Europe now, go and watch a race and then comment....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this on RCU.... how dumb can you be? (refering to the two pictures at the bottom of the post.) ~James
Not everyone does it the US way. "They" are even stupid enough to have 12 boats on the water at one time and race for more than 6 laps the "wrong" way :blink: Maybe with the concentration required to race for 20 minute heats and 30 minute finals and turn both ways :huh: "they" can also 99.999% of the time avoid the collection boat......

Hitting the collection boat means DQ, not actively throttling back and steering clear means warnings.......

You are in Europe now, go and watch a race and then comment....

It's just that the Lawyer jerks and insurance bozos in the US would have a heyday if we tried this!!!!!

Brian

James,

Are you referring to rcunlimiteds.org as RCU. I'm part of RCU and I must be blind. I don't see this link there. We're pretty much Scale Hydro and that's it, other than our sister site ERCU for scale electric. Maybe I'm just missing something.

I was refering to RC universe...sorry bout that.

I will be in Nuremberg and the upcoming Stuttgart race.

Those two pictures show me a few things, we are human and humans arent perfect. Your 99.999% probability numbers are way off. The only way to be certain it doesnt happen, is to take the possibility out of the equation. Leave the retrieve boat on the bank till the race is over. I am a paid member of NAVIGA, a European resident, and my opinion stands. (yeah yeah, you know what they say about opinions...) Whether its the way "they" do it or not, I still think its stupid. Its asking for a serious accident. When the ".001%" happens, NAVIGA will be paying BIG TIME.

Boat goes dead in the water, then it sits there until the race is over, period.

~James

We can agree to disagree, I do not think it is stupid. I believe the US "sue everyone" attitude is stupid, it's always someone else's fault but that's my opinion.

(yeah yeah, you know what they say about opinions...)
:D The two pictures show me that we are human, that accidents can happen and when they do we should have insurance to cover the cost, according to the terms agreed when we accepted the insurance coverage and voluntarily and knowingly accepted the risk of taking part in the sport.

I hope you enjoy the Nuremberg and Stuttgart race weekends.

I respect your opinion Ian, and indeed we can agree to disagree. No need in arguing with someone elses perception.

Will you be in attendance at either of the races?

~James

Here's the cruncher, I don't race FSR-V :rolleyes: but the majority of my club do. So no, I won't be at Stuttgart or Nuremberg. On the Nuremberg dates I will be running the first race of the Swedish Championship. We normally have a few friends from Germany and Europe that race but with this years clash of dates it will most probably be a totally Swedish affair (around 25 people and 50/60 boats). I have been meaning to visit a German race just for the experience but I don't think it will be this year.

Hi James ,

Everything been said is true , this is indeed an FSR V boat and yep , we do have a rescue boat during the race .

You'll see in Stuttgart how and what we call RACING ;) .

I have hit the rescueboat 1 time and this happened during my qualification of the WC in Norway ON MY BIRTHDAY !!! . This in 11 years of racing FSR V . ( oh yea , i got DQ too :( )

It doesn't happen that much that the rescueboat get hit , i think on the WC you can count it on your left/right hand , knowing that there were 300 boats says a lot .

I do have to say one thing , those rescue boats are no rescueboats in my eyes , we have a FULL metal ( i think 2MM ) boat and thats a rescue boat , what you see on those pics are fun boats used as a rescueboat .

Our rescueboat has stopped 35CC boats with ease , the rescueguys however were obviously pissed off .

B

topfuel443 said:
I will be in Nuremberg and the upcoming Stuttgart race.
James .. when you're in Stuttgart , you're welcome to a good discussion .

There will be only one RV on the race-site ........ and that's mine. :lol:

Latest posts

Back