Problem with engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SColby

I was wondering if anyone has an answer to why my engine dies.

The problem I am encountering is that when I get the thing started it idles well and runs ok when I start out. Once I get going and start to get on the pipe it dies. Do I need to go richer? I am running 65% with a modded 3.5 and a magic muffler for a pipe. I think I am at about 4 turns with the needle valve. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I suggest opening the needle-valve until the engine runs rich on the water and then begin to needle it in.

You didn't mention the size propeller you were running. Too large a prop will not allow the motor to unwind.

JD

Sorry,I am running an octura x437/3.

Thanks Jerry, I plan on heading to the lake again this weekend so I will give it a try.

It is a used motor. I bought this boat used quite awile ago and it was used as a race boat. I did have it running pretty decent last year running on 35% but have changed this year to the 65%. Thanks again.

If it ran pretty good last year with 35% and you are running 65%, You need to open up the needle a good 1-2 turns.

You want them bubbery rich on the beach, and when you throw it in, with the load on engine it will lean out some as well.

Tom

Thanks Jerry and Tom. That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to see if there was something else i should do. I will have to open the needle up another whole turn from where I was with the 35%. So I will be around 5 turns out. Does this seem like a lot? Even so i will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks for the help so far.

Scolby,

Start at 6 turns open and lean it down from there. This way you won't have to worry about it die-ing on you on the back stretch. :eek:

Snowdog

Sounds good. Thanks all I will let you know how it went after the weekend. Heading to the lake to try and finish tweaking things before the Fun Run.

Jerry, Tom, Snowdog.........

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up opening the needle to 7 turns. Ran none sto but would not lean out. So I started to turn it in slowly until it did. I am now setting at about 6 1/2 turns and it is running really well. Almost as good as it did when I first bought the boat almost 10 years ago. It actaully wants to blow off which I have not seen since then either. Now i just need to work on the trim a fuzz and everything will be all set. Thanks again for all the help.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Back