Powering Doug Campbell Vintage shovelnose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

I just recieved a Nemisis 9XL and a Hacker speed control for my Campbell vintage shovel nose hydro the hull is 24'' in length and beam is 12''. How many cells would be best suited for this set up 8 or12 cell ? What size prop would i start with? Any info would be helpfull.

I've run an 8XL on 8 cells in a silimar sized boat and it ran okay, but a 9XL is pretty mild for 8. Paul's recommendations are great; if the boat runs free of the water then you might be able to go up in prop size to an m445 or perhaps an x645, but start with the smaller prop and check the cell and ESC heat. The 9XL is a good sport motor for 12 cell hydros and isn't unheard of for club racing. B)

I just recieved a Nemisis 9XL and a Hacker speed control for my Campbell vintage shovel nose hydro the hull is 24'' in length and beam is 12''. How many cells would be best suited for this set up 8 or12 cell ? What size prop would i start with? Any info would be helpfull.
Hi riggerman.

I want to make sure you got the latest version. Much improved from before. Where did you get the kit?

Remember the bigger the prop the more instability.

When running x445 and larger...(I used to run an M447 on my old shovel) a hull that size starts to become flighty.

Remember the bigger the prop the more instability.

When running x445 and larger...(I used to run an M447 on my old shovel) a hull that size starts to become flighty.
Just to throw out some other setup ideas too:

This hull also likes an N2 setup such as a 9S and a 435.

Just to throw out some other setup ideas too:
I use this very hull for O Sport Hydro - 8 cells. I use a Hacker 7L and around a X440 prop. It's a good boat. I need to dial it in a little more, but have made improvements each run.

Doug and I am going to try a setup using a lipo and Neu 1110 or 1107 motor should be fun - power to weight at 40 amps 4S setup looks better than a regular 12 cell sport hydro

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug and I am going to try a setup using a lipo and Neu 1110 or 1107 motor should be fun - power to weight at 40 amps 4S setup looks better than a regular 12 cell sport hydro
Andrew,

Which 1110 are you thinking? The NAMBA N2 O/S record I set in 2004 was running a prototype 1110/1Y. In a MHZ micro iceberg it ran a detongued y535 for 4 minutes on 6 gp3300s, 43 mph with that setup at the SAWs with no changes but prop depth. Nothing even got warm, setup was under 50 amps. That should go like crazy in a light shovel.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian B

Back