Port Width Calculator

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to Brian Callahan about this and he said that there was some discussion among people there under Dr Blair. What was decided was that if you look into the port from a distance (look at the liner directly at the port) the width of the opening is the controlling factor and not the outer curve of the liner either inside or outside. The effective area of the port is the openning that you can see if looked at directly.

Marty.......if you can find a Polar Planimeter (made by K&E), you can trace the port on paper and use the Planimeter to calculate the area. You were asking for the math and I will look to see if I can find the algorithym(s).

Rick

Marty.......if you can find a Polar Planimeter (made by K&E), you can trace the port on paper and use the Planimeter to calculate the area. You were asking for the math and I will look to see if I can find the algorithym(s).

Rick
Rick:

Thanks for the offer, but I have it worked out.

Tom and I have decided to make the Time/Area Sheet totally seperate from the area sheet. The area sheet might have to be updated once in a while when a new port shape comes out on one of our engines and the basic Time/Angle/Area calculations will not change.

Marty, Port height is not difficult to measure and port width can easily be measured with inside calipers. If you follow what B. Callaghan says then you don't need to calculate arc width. You then need to be able to measure the horizontal and vertical angles of each side of the port to arrive at the effective port area but I'm sure Tom VD Brink has this covered.

Dave

Latest posts

Back