Pipe Length - Wild Thing Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Beaumont

I am just finishing up my Wild Thing plans build. I have an OS VZ-M motor and am thinking about starting with an X440/3. I have the OPS 3260 pipe, can you tell me what length I should start with? Also, can you tell me what that length means? Is that the length from the inlet end to where the outlet tube starts (not the entire length?)

Thanks in advance

Curtis

Start at 8.25 and go from their. That is measured from the plug to the weld. I have a pipe I will give to you next time I see you. It's awesome on an OS

Later. Bill Wachtler

Thanks Bill,

So running from the glow plug through the U-pipe to the weld where the pipe goes from divergent to convergent?

Thanks again,

C

BTW, I misspoke. I have an OPS 3280. Not sure if there is a 3260, and it is would make a difference if there was. Is 8.25 still correct on the VZ-M? It looks like I would be cutting the entire straight section off the pipe and then some.

Thanks,
Curtis

From the plug, around the header, to the widest part of the pipe is your pipe length. Yes you will have to cut the pipe and possibly the header. Make sure you leave enough straight section on the header to hold the coupler and the same goes with the pipe, don't cut so much off that the coupler wants slide off the cone. 8-1/4" is probably ok but its best to start long and shorten up from there, you can always make it shorter... I haven't run that motor but typically I end up between 7-7/8 and 8-1/4. I would recommend starting at 8-1/2" or even a little longer and go from there. 440/3 is a good prop, the 437/3 is also one of my favorites.

Brian

Set as explained above which is not all that easy to measure around the bend and hold the tape measure. Once you get it close and start testing, measure from the plug to the weld. That will be a straight line and easier to measure accurately

Adjust as necessary and have fun

Curtis,
Below is a link to a pipe measuring tool that makes it easier to measure the length
Of the pipe from plug to weld with a wrap around header. I run that same pipe on my
.21 rigger with novarossi at 8 inches so 8.5 is probably a good starting point on a mono.
http://www.woodrcboatproducts.com/pipe_measuring_tool.html

You may need to trim both the header and pipe to make sure the coupler will hold

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Curtis

I have a measuring tool Grim Racer that I will give you along with the pipe. Give me a call and maybe we can meet someplace half way. 715 308 1613

Later. Bill

Thanks you guys.

I think I have it figured out, but I may need to look for a tighter header. I cut all but 3/4" off the straight part of the pipe and the header has no straight part left and I am at about 9.75". Is there such a thing as a header that has a tighter radius? If so, where would you recommend me going to find it? Bill, I really appreciate your help. I actually do make it out to Eau Claire every couple of weeks and could stop by if you are around. I'll keep your number and get ahold of you.

Regards,
Curtis

Not going to work at 9.75. Not sure what header you have but you shoul be able to make it work with a nova rossi

Bill

Guys,

The NR header seems to work. I shortened it up a bunch, but still have about 3/4" left of the straight that I can cut. I am at 8.5" and I was able to bend it up a bit so that the pipe comes up over the radio box and the flange still sits square on the exhaust outlet of the motor. Take a look. Thanks for your help. I need to make a mount that will hold the rear tip in place, but I am super excited to fire this baby up.

C

This is how I am measuring. I use a nice length of small diameter SS cable which is easy to bend, but doesn't kink like string would.

Pipe Lengh B.jpg

I have a mount for you to if you want it. Their is no charge for any of this stuff. Pipe, measuring tool and mount.

Bill

Bill,

That is very generous of you. I'm going to try to make my own bracket for it in the mean time, but thank you very much. There is a slim chance I might be out your way tomorrow morning and if I am, will give you a call. It would be around 10.

thanks again,

Curtis

Back