Paper on Nitro & the Environment

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar_Huff

Hey Gang,

I have been contacted by a local hobby shop. He is approaching the city counsil about running boats on some city owned ponds. They are concerned about the environmental impact of the fuel. I seem to remember someone mentioning a study that was done on this very issue. Was the study published? Can it be found on line?

Thanks,

Lamar

John Equi sent me what I was looking for. It was a letter from Byron Fuels long with some MSDS sheets.

Thanks,

Lamar

John Equi sent me what I was looking for. It was a letter from Byron Fuels long with some MSDS sheets.
Thanks,

Lamar

Oops, I had it for you too, but I see you got it from John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

Lamar

Oops, I had it for you too, but I see you got it from John.

Could someone please post this document? or email it to me?

I am in the same situation and need something for the city's risk management dept.

[email protected]
Posting, or providing a link would be great. Someone who lives near me is also looking for such info.

Guys... I am on the road today. If soeone doesn't beat me to it I will upload it tonight from the motel.

Lamar

Unfortunately this will not ultimately be up to the City Council to determine. Every single state in the US and the Federal government have set water quality standards and sadly the letter from Byron will mean very little in that regard. The emissions of the burnt fuel are one thing and the possibility of a release of raw fuel is also a consideration. Plus, if you plan to allow gasoline powered boats that is an entirely different situation. The way to address this is to look at what measures will be taken to avoid a spill, rather than try to convince them that a spill or release is OK.

The particular body of water will also play into it since where it goes and what it is used for will have a considerable influence on how much tolerance there is for the possibility of a negative impact from a release of hydrocarbons.

At some point I am certain that the City will have their staff look into what environmental regulations govern the use of the lake or ponds that you want to use. I do not what state you live in, but almost all states have their regulations online if you know where to look and what to look for.

In California we have the State Water Resources Control Board which oversees environmental and water use regulations for all the waters of the state. Other states call it the Department of Natural Resources, or the Department of Environmental Quality, and so on.

I would urge you to find out what regulations apply and to be prepared to address those regulations and the possible concerns of the City.

BTW - this is what I do for a living and I am basing my comments on the experiences I have had working with a wide variety of regulatory agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back