RC boats a gateway drug?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Brumfield

A little history- I have a fair amount of experience in small watercraft, up to about 27 foot cabin cruiser. It's been years since I did any real boating, years since I have considered it.

I got into RC boats mostly to try to maintain interest in the RC hobby after having burned out on off road racing.. I spend 6 days a week most weeks between announcing races, working in the hobby shop, etc, and no matter how much you like pizza, if you are around it all the time you crave something else after awhile..

Boats are that to me, a new aspect of a familiar hobby..

But an unintended consequence has arisen from my casual RC boat use.. I think it started when I was looking at small retrieval boats, but somewhere along the line, I became interested in buying a boat.. but boats are expensive to buy, and expensive to operate..especially with fuel creeping up in price almost by the minute..

So, a sailboat then..

In investigating sail boats, I found alot of info regarding live aboards.. that piqued my interest a bit.. maybe not something I want to do full time, but how cool would it be to check out for 3-6 mos, and sail the great loop..

I've spent the last week or so looking at 25'-30' sailboats, most in my price range are either too small, too delapidated, or too far away.. hope to find the right deal somewhere.. its a long term project, I don't even know how to sail yet though I have looked into lessons and I can get that taken care of within 20 minutes of my apartment.. currently studying a book on navigating and reading charts, I want to do this 'old school' with a compass, pencil and paper charts.. I worked as a land surveyor for several years so I should have at least a little bit of a head start there.

In my minds eye I imagine having at least a couple RC boats with me, to rip up a quiet cove once in a while.. at least a couple FE boats..

Its just a dream at this point, and part of its appeal is escaping the tedium of everyday life and having another great adventure, I wandered a bit as a kid and have never regretted it.. not even the hard parts.

But i do think that playing around with the toy boats awoke the interest in a 'real' boat.. and I would be all about a full size hydro if I was made of money, but free wind power sounds like the way, these days..

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Back