Painters Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark McCray

Painters,

I'm repairing a boat that the hull flexed and the paint below the clear cracked. Inorder to get the spider cracks out can you lightly sand and clear the spot or do you need to remove the paint, repaint and then clear?

Your help would be appreicated.

Painters,

I'm repairing a boat that the hull flexed and the paint below the clear cracked. Inorder to get the spider cracks out can you lightly sand and clear the spot or do you need to remove the paint, repaint and then clear?

Hey Mark-

It depends on how deep the cracking is in the color. Wet sand off the clear in the affected area(s) & then clean real well. Then very lightly wet sand the color & clean. If the crack "disappears" when it's wet with the cleaner you will probably get away with just re-clearing. ;)

Hopefully the person who painted it did it in even layers. I tried to repair a boat in the same state as yours but the paint had a lot of hi - low spots that made it a complete overhaul.

Painters,

Sounds like you answered your own question. If the "paint" is cracked you will have to go through the crack and feather it back. Use a rubber pad, not foam or else you will see valleys in the clear when you are done.

Back