Outboards stock class....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hey Guy's

Was just over at Marty's listbot on their new outboard forum and they were talkin about the stock class in NAMBA. Rod G. had some interesting things to say but one thing kinda puzzled me, No more OS outboards, when existing supply is gone thats it? No more from K and B in the near future that is? So where does this leave everybody? NR, Greenheads or Andy's new one? Stock or Mod?

Hmmmmmmmmm ???

Gene ;D

Hi Geneo!

I read the same thing. Unless Andy Brown comes out with a lower unit of his own and offers a complete engine, there is nothing that will fit the rules description of "STOCK". When parts run out on the K&B's and OS motors, that will be the end of the stockers. I have no idea if the Thunder Tiger exists. There is some talk about an AMPS motor, but no promises, just like K&Boom. So what is the answer to a stock class? Sounds like its time for a rule change to run any powerhead. Our club for its race offers an "OUTBOARD" class. Meaning run what you got, be it stock or other.

Grimracer, jump in here anytime. Since you are the IMPBA outboard director, lets get the IMPBA's outlook on this.

Later!

Ed Radz

Later!

Ed Radz

Hi Ed and Gang

Yea this is ugly.. I still hold faith that K+B will some day join in on the fun and start to make motors again.

As for OS.. This comes right from GP. They have no intentions of discontinuing the OB. The TT is still available.

IMPBA is strong right now and dont let anybody tell you different.

I think the question is do we think that OB is the place for the new comer to join our hobby? Not sure, i think it is but this is not for sure. Most members believe that OBs are the way in.

If it is then we have done a $hitty job of helping them out. I mean that me myself has done and others a crappy job of this.

It use to be that the Villain was a one off. This did not help and at the time it was national champ. Bummer for the other guys..

We need to look at where it is that the new guys are coming from and then decide if this is OB style boats. If it is FE then make FE available to them. If it is Monos then make monos available to them. If its OBs then make OBs available to them. MOTORS, HULLS, PARTS.

It sucks that you have to know or b]ow someone to get the fast stuff. Get this stuff in the LHS, E- commerce and the like. Stop the one off or " your boat should be done in a year or so" stuff we have seen in the past.

I say that if we try to continue stock class OB racing then we need to speck a hull, make it available from at least 3 distributors and have the thing to the masses 180 days prior to the nats. I also think we should leave our motor rules alone. They work..

If you want the one off, super fast hard to get hull, that is made of space age, ultra light weight, super elastic plastic then we have a place for you and it is called MOD tunnel. I dont care if you have one of Andy’s piston and liners in one of CMB cases, with a Titan rod and a Rod G built crank, atop a home made PTO that makes sparks as the motor hits 40,000 rpm. We still have a place for you and it is called MOD tunnel.

Bottom line is tunnel the place for new comers to enter our hobby. If so then we need to GET MOTORS AND HULLS IN TO THE HANDS OF THE PEOPLE THAT ARE SELLING THE STUFF TO THE NEW GUYS. If this is the LHS then so be it. If it is E-commerce then so be it.

I hope that more of you guys have ideas on this as im out of good ideas and would like to see your points of veiw.

Mike

Hey Ed,

I have talked to Tony the dude that bought all the AMPS tooling and rights to manufacture, we had a good discussion about tunnels and how and why they blow off at speed at Jim's forum, I honestly dont know where he is as far as manufacturing goes, he had a couple prototypes runnin.

As far as the TT, I have seen them on Ebay from time to time. Tim D. might have a comment on them,

Gene ;D

Gotta agree with Mike too, need to get the message out ;)

The statement that just because an engine is no longer in production makes the engine illegal is FALSE.

Read the rule book.

Hi Richard,

The way I took the statement was if the engine is no longer in production and there are no replacement parts....

Not that it would be illegal,

Gene ;D

Hey Rich!

In no way did I mean motors as K&B should be made illegal. I think motors that are now considered MODIFIED should allowed in STOCK outboard racing. Of course something like no tuned pipes would be mandatory. Until somone else other than K&B steps up and starts building a true STOCK complete motor assembly STOCK OB is nearly extinct.

As far as a NOVICE type class, Randall Garrett has a great idea of using a 20 size mono hull with .12/.15 pull start motor. There is a ton of mono / engine combinations that would work. Then you are ready to step and run with the big boys a .21 IB is a drop in proposition.

Keep the thoughts coming, guys. Stuff like this is what gets the IMPBA moving to solve a situation.

Later!

Ed Radz

The NAMBA rule book requires that an engine be "available for purchase through retail dealers for national distribution." Currently there are NO complete outboards of any size that meet this rule.

My testing would indicate that any powerhead with the same carb and same pipe put out nearly the same power. I assume this would be true for mufflers as well. Therefore, a rule that specifies carburetor area and muffler design will allow new engines and old engines to race together equally.

Lohring Miller

The NAMBA rule book requires that an engine be "available for purchase through retail dealers for national distribution." Currently there are NO complete outboards of any size that meet this rule.
??? Now I'm confused. Tower has the OS .21 (part # LXBY98) in stock for immediate shipping, anywhere. Does this not meet the rule requirements? ???

BTW--Tower will have the Thunder Tiger .21 Pro (part # LXKG04) available in early Jan.

Latest posts

Back