Outboard brushless conversion coupler setup question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Michael

The coupler that joins the brushless motor shaft to the flex on 3.5 K&B, how much of a gap do you leave between the coupler and where the flex exits the top of the outboard. Obvious you need to have some space so the coupler doesn't rub on the outboard top plate, but what are people setting that gap distance to.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure that the tolerance is that critical as long as the coupler does not rub and you get enough of the shaft in the coupler. What is more critical is the clearance between the coupler and the motor. Make sure you have adequate clearance so that when you press inward on the coupler (towards the motor) that it does not rub the face of the motor.

D

I am not sure that the tolerance is that critical as long as the coupler does not rub and you get enough of the shaft in the coupler. What is more critical is the clearance between the coupler and the motor. Make sure you have adequate clearance so that when you press inward on the coupler (towards the motor) that it does not rub the face of the motor.

D
Thanks mate, the reason I ask is I have to cut the shaft of the motor as its too long so was trying to gauge the right length. Just trying to get it right the first time lol.

Funny because the coversion kit I got from High Performance products apparently comes in a long shaft and short shaft version. They send me the long shaft spacer the first time and my flex cable would not reach. So they sent me another spare for the short shaft. It may be that simple.

D

Cutting the shaft on a spec motor makes it ilegal for organized competion racing. The motor has to be run as shipped from the manufactuer. Just letting you know.

Funny because the coversion kit I got from High Performance products apparently comes in a long shaft and short shaft version. They send me the long shaft spacer the first time and my flex cable would not reach. So they sent me another spare for the short shaft. It may be that simple.

D
Didn't know that, but it wouldn't help as the shaft has a tapered shoulder that extends about 4 mm from the front of the can. It has a 8 mm shaft that is milled to 5 mm as exits the can. All good now, cut it down to the right length and it fits together perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back