Outboard hinge pin play

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertDoak

This is more of a "How To" article but we have no actual "How to" area....

Ok...so your outboard lower has some slop or wobble in it....in my case a lot...its a new K&B lower I bought from MECOA and converted to electric....
I removed the k&b mount and used an Octura 3.5 outboard mount for my preference only because the transom mount is the O.S. mount width...and is adjustable up and down with tilt trim...and this is where the problem starts...
The Octura mount was used on many different models so the bushings were kinda shot...i ordered new bushings from OSE and installed them...but had more wobble than I had before...so what to do...several suggested to get some bronze and a reamer to get a perfect hole....well a reamer is expensive...and thats not happening...so I improvised...
I removed the new bushings and there is a seam on them....i took a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and cut the seam...that gave me more room for the bushing to squeeze around the Hinge pin shaft....this helped a lot...but still not perfect....
Plan #2....all I needed was like .00001"
So how about in large the outside diameter ?....ok...so I needed something super thin.....aluminum foil....i cleaned the bushing....and took a small piece of aluminum foil and with some CA made a line on the foil and very carefully rolled the bushing on the foil with CA....allowed to setup then trim any excess on the top and bottom and also remove the foil from the bushing slot.....
Carefully use a pair of pliers to insert the bushing back into the mount...use a couple drops of oil ...reassemble and now....its tight....and with zero play but still my 100oz servo is able to operate with no problem...
Whole process about 30 minutes...

Last edited:
This is more of a "How To" article but we have no actual "How to" area....

Ok...so your outboard lower has some slop or wobble in it....in my case a lot...its a new K&B lower I bought from MECOA and converted to electric....
I removed the k&b mount and used an Octura 3.5 outboard mount for my preference only because the transom mount is the O.S. mount width...and is adjustable up and down with tilt trim...and this is where the problem starts...
The Octura mount was used on many different models so the bushings were kinda shot...i ordered new bushings from OSE and installed them...but had more wobble than I had before...so what to do...several suggested to get some bronze and a reamer to get a perfect hole....well a reamer is expensive...and thats not happening...so I improvised...
I removed the new bushings and there is a seam on them....i took a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and cut the seam...that gave me more room for the bushing to squeeze around the Hinge pin shaft....this helped a lot...but still not perfect....
Plan #2....all I needed was like .00001"
So how about in large the outside diameter ?....ok...so I needed something super thin.....aluminum foil....i cleaned the bushing....and took a small piece of aluminum foil and with some CA made a line on the foil and very carefully rolled the bushing on the foil with CA....allowed to setup then trim any excess on the top and bottom and also remove the foil from the bushing slot.....
Carefully use a pair of pliers to insert the bushing back into the mount...use a couple drops of oil ...reassemble and now....its tight....and with zero play but still my 100oz servo is able to operate with no problem...
Whole process about 30 minutes...
.00001" clearance?

Back