OT - need mechanical advise for a full size Johnson outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foolwitools

Hi Guys,

Need to replace the bearings and seals in the lower end of my 1966 Johnson 40hp outboard.

can I do this with automotive type tools or does it require special tools??

Bob the Fool :blink:

Hi Bob,

I dont know for certain about Johnsons but I've had a couple of larger Mercs where I've had no problems getting into the lower unit ....the bearings would have been easy to replace, but I didn't need to. I dont own any specialty tools.

I'm guessing the setups are similar between both lowers...but I'm just not certain.

Hope this helps,

KB

Last edited by a moderator:
A 1966 40hp would have the "split" style lower gearcase I believe. Those are a breeze because the lower skeg half of the gearcase is removeable. Now, if it has been in saltwater it could be a challenge getting some of the bolts out. The only special tool you would need would be a small threaded shaft and driver to remove the vertical driveshaft bearing. You can make one of those yourself. Many dealers have ran out of parts for those older motors but parts can still be found online and at some second and third generation family marine dealerships.

Mark

You might need an "H" frame press and pilot shafts to get at some of the bearings.

Here is a Johnson Outboard forum where you can ask and probably get exact advice

http://forums.iboats.com/

Sometimes there are overhaul kits which you can look at and determine what parts are involved with the rebuild, which helps you to see what tools you'll need.

You can maybe strip it down as far as you can and then take it to a repair marina for the bearing work.

A 1966 40hp would have the "split" style lower gearcase I believe. Those are a breeze because the lower skeg half of the gearcase is removeable. Now, if it has been in saltwater it could be a challenge getting some of the bolts out. The only special tool you would need would be a small threaded shaft and driver to remove the vertical driveshaft bearing. You can make one of those yourself. Many dealers have ran out of parts for those older motors but parts can still be found online and at some second and third generation family marine dealerships.
Mark
Mark,

You forgot to tell him a hammerhead impact screw driver to break those screws loose...especially if they are salty!

I run mine always in salt water....I didnt want to say that I've even had problems with stainless bolts in aluminum after just a couple-three years :unsure: . I am usually pretty good about keeping fresh zinks and Ive always use a lift and boathouse.

virginia beach saltwater is the pitts (no pun intended)

If his motor is still in turning over after 41 years....I automatically assumed it was a freshie

Mike Byer who will read this next time he logs on, is a restorer & collector of vintage outboards and will no doubt chime in with some good advice and parts sources. Be patient.

Thanks Guys,
anyone have a good parts source?

Bob the Fool :blink:
Contact HTBboats Mark hopper ownes a large Marine sales & service Business in Jax Tn & Is a dealer for Several brands...... GOLDEN CIRCLE MARINE JACKSON TN

check out screamand fly.com, great full size ob boat forum. lots of really helpful people there, who do ob's for a living. a lot like this site-good people, good info. they also have just started an rc forum-i've seen a few of us over there- me too, i was a member there first. i've always done all my own work, and didn't need anything that a decent shop or auto tech wouldn't already have. the very few special tools that were required for what i did, i could improvise easily. i've done full rebuilds, both top end and lower units. not familiar with yours, a little before my time. my first trip to omc school wasn't until 1970. if i can help, let me know, i do have access to tech info.

Latest posts

Back