• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts For Sale Orlic prop pitch gage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, I'm a little slow...what the Hêll is a
"pitch gauge in a can" ??
Don't believe I've ever seen or heard of one of those before!?!?

@Davidkrienke
Oh heck i cant remember where I saw it now . it was a hughey guage or something .It looked like a round cardboard cylinder that the degrees was listed around the outside. I just wanted a small one to use when were out there that was small and quick to check pitch .prop gauge 2.JPG

I hope someone might chime in. I Would like to find a handy fast small tool to check out in the field . I wonder what is the best and easiest to use fast.
That’s a Hughey pitch gage, designed and sold by Ed Hughey. I may have a new one. The Steve Wood gage is by far the easiest in field to use. It’s based off the same principle as the Hughey only with and expanded scale. It’s larger and more costly for sure but worth it. The Orlic style is small and is easy to use in the field as well.

Best thing to do is mark the prop as to what it is as soon as you get it! My good props go into a craft type plastic box that has felt lining each compartment. I use to buy used props all the time. Some may not be in a "stock" form of course. Some balanced and/or sharpened wrong. Most of these used props can be used to give an idea how your boat will work with that pitch and cup. All good candidates for modifying. I recently moved. Happened to look at one box that had used props that was not lined with felt. Noticed a burr that was kicked up on one from being jostled during the move. That was a surprise! My good props were ALWAYS protected with felt! I also keep each prop when possible in a small plastic bag. The bag gets marked as to who prepped it. Brand of prop. And all the numbers for cup, size, etc. I also mark inside of the lid of the box as to what that prop is. For testing or racing I take only a small box with the props that I might test. That box gets marked and is lined as well. May seem a bit redundant. But after a weekend of racing if you have a doubt as to what that prop is... You only have to look for that empty spot. Ken

Best thing to do is mark the prop as to what it is as soon as you get it! My good props go into a craft type plastic box that has felt lining each compartment. I use to buy used props all the time. Some may not be in a "stock" form of course. Some balanced and/or sharpened wrong. Most of these used props can be used to give an idea how your boat will work with that pitch and cup. All good candidates for modifying. I recently moved. Happened to look at one box that had used props that was not lined with felt. Noticed a burr that was kicked up on one from being jostled during the move. That was a surprise! My good props were ALWAYS protected with felt! I also keep each prop when possible in a small plastic bag. The bag gets marked as to who prepped it. Brand of prop. And all the numbers for cup, size, etc. I also mark inside of the lid of the box as to what that prop is. For testing or racing I take only a small box with the props that I might test. That box gets marked and is lined as well. May seem a bit redundant. But after a weekend of racing if you have a doubt as to what that prop is... You only have to look for that empty spot. Ken
That’s a Hughey pitch gage, designed and sold by Ed Hughey. I may have a new one. The Steve Wood gage is by far the easiest in field to use. It’s based off the same principle as the Hughey only with and expanded scale. It’s larger and more costly for sure but worth it. The Orlic style is small and is easy to use in the field as well.
I was looking at the Steve Woods and the Speedmaster pitch gauges . I really need to find one of those . If anyone reads this and has one I would like to have one and the instructions. I think one of those is the ticket for us.

David, VooDoo props makes a quite simple device that may work for you. Once you set up the device you simply move the arm and read the dial indicator number which will show the pitch of each blade. There are no charts or calculations to be made. I have one and when I got it I used it compare known pitches from prop charts and cards from Mark Sholund and it was spot on. Good luck

I'll spring for it. $75 plus shipping. How much for shipping to 48892? And your PP addy? Ken Wheeler

sorry, I didn’t see your post till just now. Let’s say shipping is $12.00. That makes $87.00. If shopping is more than $12.00, I’ll cover the difference, if it’s less, I’ll refund the difference.

Email your address to [email protected]

My PayPal is [email protected] And I won’t take your payment from PayPal till the post office says it’s been delivered.

sorry, I didn’t see your post till just now. Let’s say shipping is $12.00. That makes $87.00. If shopping is more than $12.00, I’ll cover the difference, if it’s less, I’ll refund the difference.

Email your address to [email protected]

My PayPal is [email protected] And I won’t take your payment from PayPal till the post office says it’s been delivered.
My mistake, I apologize. My actual PayPal is [email protected]

Please forgive me, I have what’s called ESSENTIAL TREMOR in my hands and feet. It’s gotten to a point where sometimes I can’t write with a pen or pencil because my hands shake too much. I can be sitting on my butt in my recliner and my feet will start to shake, and my hands have reached the point where I have a hard time using an ATM.

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried it first (I think...) as [email protected], because I had noticed the extra "S" but it wouldn't accept it. Long story short, after trying several times BOTH ways, it finally took it as "[email protected]". I will try and get it straightened out. May take a few hours... Detroit Edison has notified me that the power will be out until 2 pm. to work on "THE BOX"... I'll start trying now though... Price you pay when you live in the sticks!!! Nice and quiet though! No crime!! Ken

Back