OPS engines back in the U.S.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something needs to happen.. The Euro Vs. Dollar and the low number of Engine Manufacturers are driving the cost of Nitro engines through the roof. Sure makes gas look attractive to some.
I paid $235 for a Rossi 65 in 1977. They could be had for about $175 if you had connections. So the price of a .67 has doubled or tripled, (what hasn't ?) but the performance and durabilty out of the box is far better.

Engines are cheap for what we get today.

Talk to the Fedral Reserve chairmmen about the rising cost...they are they ones causing the price problems, not CMB, Picco, Novarossi, OPS!

Just a quick question to you guys here. How many people here would like to hear that OPS may be coming back into the U.S.
Post replies good or bad so we know.
Jerry, Are you (yourself) going to become the actual U.S. dealer for OPS Engines? If so will you have direct input/communication with the OPS factory? Or only with Mantua? Where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question to you guys here. How many people here would like to hear that OPS may be coming back into the U.S.
Jerry, Are you (yourself) going to become the actual U.S. dealer for OPS Engines? If so will you have direct input/communication with the OPS factory? Or only with Mantua? Where are you located?

Yes I am myself, Yes I will be the importer. And yes I have direct contact. What has happened from what I as explained was OPS which was model power went out of business. Mantua is now the owner of the line and also the name. So Mantua is the manufacture of the engines.

We are in South Florida.

Jerry

I'd love to see OPS back on the market, however $600 or $700 for a motor is not very sexy at all. Now if they could set a plant up in North America, create some jobs, maybe the cost for 65-67 engine would be around $400. Good deal. I know .... I'm dreaming.

Yes I am myself, Yes I will be the importer. And yes I have direct contact. What has happened from what I as explained was OPS which was model power went out of business. Mantua is now the owner of the line and also the name. So Mantua is the manufacture of the engines.

We are in South Florida.

Jerry
Interesting, thanks. So Mantua owns the whole operation/plant in Italy? Or do they (Mantua) own all equipment and manufactures product elsewhere? (as Mantua is in U.K.)

We are in South Florida.

Jerry
Interesting, thanks. So Mantua owns the whole operation/plant in Italy? Or do they (Mantua) own all equipment and manufactures product elsewhere? (as Mantua is in U.K.)
They own Mantua UK as well the engines are made in Italy

Jerry

I will be getting my OPS 91 saterday morning or just as soon as Jerry stops by the shop with it Can't wait to see it. . I will post some pics of the motor. I hope to have it in my boat running in a few days. Will let all you guys know how it runs.

So what eng is this the bi metal ,square head or somthing totaly new?

David
The 91 Bi Metal is new based on a 80 size. Not square head. I will have pics up soon. Though the square head engine is still made and still a good engine. All the engines now with the exception of the side exhaust supermarine are drum indction. They still make the disc but no real reason to bring it in unless requested

The 67 and 80 where availible with the roller rod. We ran a pair of the roller rod 80's in a twin Mongoose for awhile. The crank pin was small, but we never broke a crank or a rod. Ran them hard on 60%. Any one else here have extended experience with the roller rod 67/80? John Finch?

The 67 and 80 where availible with the roller rod. We ran a pair of the roller rod 80's in a twin Mongoose for awhile. The crank pin was small, but we never broke a crank or a rod. Ran them hard on 60%. Any one else here have extended experience with the roller rod 67/80? John Finch?
I tried them. Hard to remember but I think there was an issue with rubbing against the rotor. Maybe a spacing issue, I can't fully recall. I used the RPM rod and had no issues after that. The original rods would break easily. I even used 22 percent oil trying to use the stock rod, but they did not last long. The bottom end would oval out and then break.

John

Ran an OPS 80 with needles and a RPM rod in a A/S Cobra rigger. Brian Charney drilled the case for an 8 bolt custom cooling jacket he made. Had an RPM .470 carb. Boat was fast for back in the day. B) I tried them. Hard to remember but I think there was an issue with rubbing against the rotor. Maybe a spacing issue, I can't fully recall. I used the RPM rod and had no issues after that. The original rods would break easily. I even used 22 percent oil trying to use the stock rod, but they did not last long. The bottom end would oval out and then break.

JohnB
Your right John, the spacing on the rotor was an issue, the slot would wear and the intake timing would be all over the place. Still we had lots of fun, Shamrock had plenty of parts and they where cheap. B) ==={} Some how I screwed up the quotes, answer to your question Andy is in there. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back