OPS engines back in the U.S.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks John and Ray. The clearence problem was easy enough to fix. I wonder if anyone had a problem with shearing off the crank pin. It was really small.I think 6mm to make room for the needles. The pin for the bushed rod was 7mm, same a Picco. CMB was always about 8mm. I have seen some 7mm Picco pins break, but never a 7mm OPS pin. I never saw the OPS 6mm pin break in the 80's but my exposure was only to a few of those engines, but they were modified with high compression heads and run on 60% nitro. I'm thinking OPS used better steel than Picco or CMB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks John and Ray. The clearence problem was easy enough to fix. I wonder if anyone had a problem with shearing off the crank pin. It was really small.I think 6mm to make room for the needles. The pin for the bushed rod was 7mm, same a Picco. CMB was always about 8mm. I have seen some 7mm Picco pins break, but never a 7mm OPS pin. I never saw the OPS 6mm pin break in the 80's but my exposure was only to a few of those engines, but they were modified with high copression heads and run on 60% nitro. I'm thinking OPS used better steel than Picco or CMB?
Andy,

At 22,500 rpm the pins held up fine but at higher rpm I broke off the crank pins. I just ran the engines to OPS specs. 22,500 rpm max. I only ran 25 percent nitro back in the 70s and 80s in those engines. Head clearance 12 to 15 thous.

John

The K-90 uses a 7mm pin. I never heard of one break. I've seen broken steel rods in them and pins that were chipped and beat to death, but never broken. I even ran two tanks of 60% through one with -.002" ( yes negitive 2) head clearence and didn't hurt anything. Proves the proper material can definately make a difference.

Thanks John and Ray. The clearence problem was easy enough to fix. I wonder if anyone had a problem with shearing off the crank pin. It was really small.I think 6mm to make room for the needles. The pin for the bushed rod was 7mm, same a Picco. CMB was always about 8mm. I have seen some 7mm Picco pins break, but never a 7mm OPS pin. I never saw the OPS 6mm pin break in the 80's but my exposure was only to a few of those engines, but they were modified with high compression heads and run on 60% nitro. I'm thinking OPS used better steel than Picco or CMB?
The K-90 uses a 7mm pin. I never heard of one break. I've seen broken steel rods in them and pins that were chipped and beat to death, but never broken. I even ran two tanks of 60% through one with -.002" ( yes negitive 2) head clearence and didn't hurt anything. Proves the proper material can definately make a difference.
Your correct Andy, I never ran the disc rotors on the 67-80 motors. Aeromarine had the aftermarket drum rotors, the steel in the drum was different then the crank pin. If remember right the crank pin was stepped down again to fit in the slot of the drum, not a good design, like a hole would be.Crankpin would square in the drum slot. Hey they we cheap, came with a pipe and plenty of parts. They would need a total redesign to run today, means higher price. B) ==={}

They have had alot of changes the engines since they started the drums. But also as Andy said the right material makes all the difference in the world. So steps on a crank that is properly hardened to the drum that is machined from the proper material yields a trouble free issue. We speak about wear like it is not going to happen. Nitro engines we feed 60+ % nitro running in water with all kinds of different fuel brands and other variables. There most definitely are factors to think of that influence reliability. Not always but sometimes design errors. The question I guess becomes price,parts,and reliabilty.

OPS in the time that I ran them always used quality materials and their machining was usually very good as well , as so many have said it's the out dated design thats the problem.

I can think of at least three things that need to be changed before I would even think of looking at them.

One piece case is a must as well as a bolt on carb for 45 and up and a header set up similar to the CMB design.

Tim K

OPS in the time that I ran them always used quality materials and their machining was usually very good as well , as so many have said it's the out dated design thats the problem.

I can think of at least three things that need to be changed before I would even think of looking at them.

One piece case is a must as well as a bolt on carb for 45 and up and a header set up similar to the CMB design.

Tim K
Amen to that Tim, and then it would only be a good sport motor. B) ==={}

Tim K
Amen to that Tim, and then it would only be a good sport motor. B) ==={}

I do not think that they would be only a good sport motor. I think that the engines that are produced are good both with CMB and OPS. I think that OPS wanting to move forward with the line shows alot of good faith. All engine manufactures seem to have a rotation of good and bad. And it seems to be a revolving wheel. So with that being said I think that with the new idea's that are already planned as well as the ones that are made they can become a very good engine. Here is the other side. There are many reasons that people goto gas. One is the not knowing how to tune a engine The second issue that I see is that for the price of one CMB the guy can buy 2 gas engines. Pull start spark plug pump gas. Price scares people into other avenues as well.

I know ill be glad they are here. if i ever do another nitro it will definately be a bi metal or big block 90 hands down.

Last edited:
I will be the importer. And yes I have direct contact. What has happened from what I as explained was OPS which was model power went out of business. Mantua is now the owner of the line and also the name. So Mantua is the manufacture of the engines
I think that OPS wanting to move forward with the line shows alot of good faith. So with that being said I think that with the new idea's that are already planned as well as the ones that are made they can become a very good engine
so when you are referring to the "new" OPS company (which is wholey owned by Mantua, but still physically located and operated in Italy): are all product design concepts and implementation carried out by much of the original Italy-based OPS staff engineers and technicians? Or has Mantua brought in a complete new group? I'm just trying to get a picture of the make-up of the current OPS company. Who is actually making the new engine design decisions? Are they investing, or upgrading, into new equipment and fabrication technologies?
Do you know, is the OPS operation physically housed under the same roof as the "Mantua Model group of Italy" (where many other model products are manufactured)? Or are they (OPS) separate? I assume "Mantua Model UK Ltd" is the primary international sales operation?

Appreciate your input here...........

I am not sure all is under the same roof that would be large but I do know Max is very involved in the operation and control. I will inquire location as you know Mantua is quite possibly the largest model manufacture of wood ships.

I have only bought from Mantua in Italy. The uk side I only know that they will sell at this time to all over nut they will not sell OPS here.

The machines I assume you are referring to is the CNC, mold injection?? That is a question that I will answer I know that the tooling is still modern. To make cases all that needs to change is the mold to make parts all that needs to be changed is the cad files.

I know some individuals that are involved are "new" so to speak

I am not sure all is under the same roof that would be large but I do know Max is very involved in the operation and control. I will inquire location as you know Mantua is quite possibly the largest model manufacture of wood ships.

I have only bought from Mantua in Italy. The uk side I only know that they will sell at this time to all over nut they will not sell OPS here.

The machines I assume you are referring to is the CNC, mold injection?? That is a question that I will answer I know that the tooling is still modern. To make cases all that needs to change is the mold to make parts all that needs to be changed is the cad files.

I know some individuals that are involved are "new" so to speak
ah I see, thanks. Who is "Max"? Is he original member/partner of OPS group?

Jerry,

Another good point worth mentioning about OPS is the fact that their engines progressed and were not simply replaced. The first OPS I owned was a 60 car motor. We put Octura Kool Clamps, 45 steel flywheels and universals on them and went racing. I believe we were using the K&B carbs at the time. Then cme the 65s and finally the 67s. The parts were pretty much interchangable between the 65 and 67, and there were always parts available either from Shamrock, then Tower, and finally Aeromarine.

People started buying Piccos because they were cheaper than OPS as I recall. "Planned obsolescense" seemed to be their product idea. I still have a couple 67 EXRs I run in Scale and have been great engines. We tried to run the Picco blue heads but found that no parts were available so we went to CMBs and have been there since.

Here's a price list for Piccos in 1979 from Tidewater. Read and weep. CHEERS !!! Bob

I am all for another engine choice. OPS would have to make drastic improvements for me to consider. Steel/Needle bearing rod (no cage) for starters. 1 piece block with a header flange like the others and an improved drum rotor housing with a bolt on carb.

The engine needs to be modernized and redesigned that my opinion. Quality of materials and Parts availability and they have to perform just as good like CMB or any other manufactures before I even consider to buy one.

Back