Opinions Needed On Peeling Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

I have been rebuilding a scale 68 Bardahl all winter and at the stage now where I'm ready to start painting. All this is new to me, even painting. The problem I'm having is with the original paint. The clear coat comes off real easy. One area that is causing me the biggest problem is on the decals. When the clear comes off it takes some of the color of the decal with it. The clear around the edges of the deck peels off also. Once it starts to peel it's hard to stop. I would hate to strip the whole boat and start over. I'm real close to putting it in the water. This is my first boat and can't wait to get her going. If I was to do it over again I would have just built a new one and saved alot of time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been rebuilding a scale 68 Bardahl all winter and at the stage now where I'm ready to start painting. All this is new to me, even painting. The problem I'm having is with the original paint. The clear coat comes off real easy. One area that is causing me the biggest problem is on the decals. When clear comes off it takes some of the color of the decal with it. The clear around the edges of the deck peels off also. Once it starts to peel it's hard to stop. I would hate to strip the whole boat and start over. I'm real close to putting it in the water. This is my first boat and can't wait to get her going. If I was to do it over again I would have just built a new one and saved alot of time and money.
It sounds like u need to strip and repaint or you will be asking for trouble.

good luck,

Rusty

Thanks Rusty, Do you know of a way to remove the paint using some type of stripper. It's a fiberglass/resin boat and I don't want ruin the glass. I stripped the bottom sanding by hand it took forever. Looks like I will have to order some decals also. looks like it's going to be along time before she sees water. :(

Thanks Rusty, Do you know of a way to remove the paint using some type of stripper. It's a fiberglass/resin boat and I don't want ruin the glass. I stripped the bottom sanding by hand it took forever. Looks like I will have to order some decals also. looks like it's going to be along time before she sees water. :(

I stripped my Phil Thomas Sport 40 one time w/ an aircraft stripper that I believe was formulated for fiberglass. I got it at an automotive store. The funny thing about it was that it bubbled up the paint on about 3/4 of the boat but there were some areas that just wouldn't budge. Had to sand those. Regardless, it did save work. You just have to make sure you thoroughly wash the boat after you are done and use heavy duty gloves when using the product. Also, DONT do it in the house. Garage or outside. I recoated w/ PPG products and had no issues w/ adhesion, etc...

They do make a special stripper for glass and plastic...do a search under klean strip...I have used regular auto paint strippers but just don't leave them on long.

Rusty

Back