OPC anyone?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike,

What materials and their thickness did you cut the frames and skins from?

You should be able to bring that down to 1 pound no problem, eh? lol Heck, my new Sport 40 only weighs 2.5 pounds. ;D

Paul, (The Skull Man)

Gang

Lets see.

Jeffster is right, the nitro verson for next year is 1 lb 14oz with 2oz of lead built into the sponsons. Im sure the lead is not going to be needed in the FE hull.

Paul, The sponson bottom sheeting is 1/16" but all other sheeting is 1/32".

My race hull from last year weighs 3lbs 14oz rtr. It can run down 50mph in a heart beat and that is with my water cooled Kick Butt on the back.

Crowbar..that is cool, i can dig it..did you read the interview that Tom did here at I waters on me...lol talk about the past..lol

I remember when...............man get me started and im all wet..

Grim ;D

Iam not sure which Mike you are refering to, but here is my stats.

The frames/bulkheads/stringers are 1/8 balsa. The sheeting is 1/32 under the tunnel. It will be sheeted with 1/64. I have not desided about the pads yet. I would like them to be 1/16 at the working end and I might taper them down to the front. We will see. I am shooting to get the weight at 3/4lbs. I will have to do a light glass cowl as the Dumas cowl is to heavy.

Mike

Hello Guys,

Mike H, I was referring to Mike Z (Grim) but thank you for posting your info.

Grim, you know, the first time I looked at your rigger with all the lead stuck too it I thought "No Way" but 40 plus off the Chameleon is pretty **** respectable. I gotta tell you though, when you see it run the way I've changed it your gonna like it. I really have to build one and send it too you so you can check it out. We need too to get back on that project.

TTYL, Paul.

Ok

Boat is done and it came in better than expected. 10 oz. I was shooting for 12 0z. Took 6 hours to build. Still need to build the cowl. This will take some time as I don't have a mold. Have a plug. For those of you that don't know 16 oz. = 1 lb.

Later

Mike

If you have ever seen a 3.5 Hot Shot Sprint, it is identical. Just a whole bunch lighter. I don't have a camera.

Mike

I have a question for some of you guys that ran OPC when the Plett was the popular motor. I'll be running a Plett 30 5t, can anyone give me a good starting place for prop size and pitch?

Mike Z. Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I'll be pretty happy to stay on the same lap as the hot dogs on this thread! ;)

Paul

Your right i need to tickle one.. and now that i have a guy working with me in the shop im geting more time for R+D.

Lets begin again.

Grim

This is cool! It's been a long time since I've run OPC's but they are a eral blast!

I talked to Mike Hughes tonight and will get the boat soon, When I do I'll post some pics. He built me the sister ship about 10 years ago that would run by 3.5's with an Astro 25. But that was the older K&B 3.5. Maybe I'll have to find a grudge match once I get it dialed in!!!!!

Dick

Mike, or anyone...

Wouldnt using thin balsa wood on the deck and sides make the boat even lighter again? or would the sacrifice in strength, not be worth the little bit of weight?

I think the Hot Shot looks real nice from the front and on a little angle...even thought it is soo old of a design, i still think it looks nicer than some of the more recent ones like the Leecrafts...but not the BVillain :p

If you took a piece 12"x12" of each 1/64 ply and 1/16 balsa you would only see a difference of 5 grams. You would be sacrifcing to much hull integrity. You would have to stiffen the balsa with expoxy and fiberglass. This adds weight and you would be right back or more than the 1/64. Plus you would be doing a lot more work. I got the boat to 10oz. This is .625 lbs. I can get it lighter but it needs to survive oval racing condtions. I don't care what it looks like as long as you guys are behind it!!!! It is not a beauty contest.

Mike

Yep i thought it would end up like that...just thought i would get it clarified ;D

Looks are half the decision for me, if it doesnt look like a 'Real' boat, then how do people know what it is? they could just think its a stick, with a motor and some stabilisers on it ;) whoops, forgot i was describing one of the styles of boats most people like, sorry : :)

Kris

OK next question...if i was to convert my Sprint hull (wood) to FE, can you still get the right CoG with the radio box up the front of the hull? or should it be at the back for best performance/and adjustments? or should it be moved to the back of the hull? and battery up front?

Kris

Chris

I know with my tunnel 27" it is easier to move the radio box to the rear of the hull and shorten it .

I shelved mined so the cells can slide in under it - this created a shelf on which I put the esc - as far as possible from the reciever.

hope this helps

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.com

When I built my original tunnel, I found that the cells had to go as far forward as possible and the radio components were at the back. This still only got the CG just barely forward enough.

Incidently, I now have this hull back in my possession (after ten years) and I will be posting pictures of it probably on Wed. nite.

Doug, is it still in a respectrable condition, or is it in need of some repairs/paint job?

Andrew, have you got any pictures of your setup? hows it all looks...

Guess i will have to strip the boat down and mock up a setup to see how it will balance out...

Thanks for the post's

Kris

Latest posts

Back