OPC anyone?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kris,

The test was marginal at best. Not sure the 700 has enough ponies to make the DPI get with the program, but I ain't done yet. The smart move would be to go with Mikes boat! That thing looks great!

See ya,

Dick

OPC Tunnel what a great class and one of my favorites!! Sure would like to see some more interested stirred in this class. Fun to watch and even more fun to run. I personally would like to see the class stay as a 12 cell open motor class. They are not the fastest boats in the world with that configuration and I think by going to a 700 size motor they are just going to become too slow to perform properly. At least that would probably be the case with the present hulls that are available. Maybe with something designed and built for the purpose of the slower motors they could perform better. At present the 12 cell OPC record is only a couple of miles an hour off the 3.5 record. With that thought why would we want to change something that is working so well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Larry

In your extensive experience, what is your recommendation for handling waterproofing a BL motor hanging out back there :eek:

Do you mount the ESC just inside the transom to keep the wire length at a minimum and the ESC totally dry.

Doug, I do put my ESC just inside the transom. As far as the motor waterproofing it's almost impossible to get the motor waterproof. I seal the extra screw holes in the base with silicone. I put a piece of tape over the exposed bearing and between heats I flush the motor out with contact cleaner to dry it out. Then you have to tear it down after the race and make sure it's completely cleaned out so it doesn't get all rusted up. Recently though I heard of a very interesting idea to do with the motor to help keep it from rusting. Before you start to use a motor on an OPC tear it down make sure it is free of all oil and then spray a couple of coats of clear coat on the inside parts of the motor. I'm told this will help keep everything from rusting up even when it get's wet. That makes good sense to me and I am going to give it a try and see if it works. By the way the clear coat brain storm comes from one of the most innovative guys I have ever met in this hobby and that's my friend Dennis Whitt. Through the years Dennis has come up with some of the greatest ideas I have ever seen. If you want to know about water proofing stuff for an OPC just ask Dennis he had one of the neatest OPC setups I ever saw a couple of years back at the Seattle Spring Splash. Step in here Dennis.

Gosh Larry Im blushing!

I just sent some motors out to Aveox to have them up dated and decided to open up my out board 1412 1.5y.

The stacks were almost spotless.And the rotor was Mint ,No rusty magnets.I havent even looked at this motor sence last year.

I am working on a low profile 3 part scale out board cover that can be sandwiched in between the motor and the mounting plate.The lower portion of the cover will slide up or down over this plate so you can adjust it to your set up once you adjust it to were you want you can run a little ca in there to fix it at that point and seal the lower portion of the cover.The upper portion of the cover will simply tape down over the lip of the lower half making a good tape down seal with eazy access.

My next problem was that I noticed that although my sealed cover stayed dry there would be a tiny amount of water in the motor.

So the new one will have a vent tube.This tube will vent into the hull.I found that as the motor got warm it would create a vacume in the cover and suck water up through the lower end up through the spacer ring and into the lower bearing and into the motor.

The venting into the hull should cure this problem.Allthough the batteries get warm there should be seficient volume not to create the same problem.

I feel that the only way to entice new boaters into this class we must be able to offer some protection to theese expensive motors other than hanging it out in the spray.The first key component to its succes is the light weight Brushless motor.I tried running the bigger heavier Pletts but found that the brushes wore down too quickly and gummed up the com in the middle of a heat.This is absolutly my favorite class and I also would like to see it get more popular.Heres a thought! because of the added weight of a good lower end and the fact that any good hull is 26" or better would going to a Q opc instead of P along with a method of protecting your motor help bring FE OPC around?Just a thought,,,No lobbying hehehe.Thanks again Larry for the kind words.I do have loooong coold winters to think about this stuff.

8) I'm getting pumped with the resurgence in OPC, I think it's the class I'm most looking forward to at the Nats! I have a Villain S1 sitting on the bench, thanks to Mike Z for the setup pics & advice! I think it could be a rocket, I'm falling back to a Plett 20 5t for power and a BIG thanks to Greg for the 2 GS machined lowers! I was a little concerned about doing my own maching and coming back with all 11 fingers and thumbs I started with! :p

Thanks, Tom, for one more place for us FE guys to hang out!

Hey Dennis and Larry, good to see you here :) i hope i am allowed to pick your brains on this (non wigning) board/site aswell ;)

Does anyone know of anyone who has a Villain already setup for 12 cell OPC and has done some testing with it? Would be nice to see what they think of it...

Mike, what do you think could be done to lighten this hull up even further? Formers made from balsa, thinner ply on deck and sides, stuff like that?

Dick, i know it looks great!!! i am just plain ANNOYED that the boat is a little more difficult to get out to me, but i am working o getting one for my next investment ;)

Kris

Hey Dennis and Larry, good to see you here :) i hope i am allowed to pick your brains on this (non wigning) board/site aswell ;)

Does anyone know of anyone who has a Villain already setup for 12 cell OPC and has done some testing with it? Would be nice to see what they think of it...

Mike, what do you think could be done to lighten this hull up even further? Formers made from balsa, thinner ply on deck and sides, stuff like that?

Dick, i know it looks great!!! i am just plain ANNOYED that the boat is a little more difficult to get out to me, but i am working o getting one for my next investment ;)

Kris

I'll also second Dennis's contibution to FE. Everytime I see his stuff I think, why didn't I think of that!

I remember Dennis's all in one outboard. Sounds like there is a new improved design!

Kris, I haven't given up on the DPI yet. I've got a few things I'm going to try but I still think the SS1 may be a little soft for this Hull. I'd like to do more, but I'm still waiting on the twins, that and I've got to finish Larry's Crumbgrabber.

See ya,

Dick

Yes it is a DPI. I had one like it years ago but gave it away.

The leg is a K&B that I made for an elec. tunnel I built about 11 years ago. It was a balsa Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5.

I'll probably change to the leg Fuller is making as soon as I can get one.

See ya,

Dick
WWWHHHOOOAAA

Flashback city. I seem to remember framing that boat up for you Dick. It has been a long time since the balsa tunnel days. I remember the day that boat died. Ripped the left sponson clean off at Shady lake.

Mike

Hey Hippie!

That was the best elec tunnel I ever had. It might still be the best for a 700 motor, which is what I was trying to do with the DPI.

Want to frame another!

See ya,

Dick

Sure

I still got the patterns somewhere in the garage. Those where good running tunnels even with the motors we where running back then. I hope you don't need this ASAP. As I am loaded with work. Average of 64 hours a week for last three weeks. Maybe you could come over one day and will cut one out.

Mike

Mike, That sounds like a blast! I'd love to.

I'm not in a big hurry either. Beth hasn't had the twins yet although it should be any day!

See ya,

Dick

Hey

You know what I have in the garage. I have a wood XTR 21. I mapped the bottom and cut the frames all out. Fittted them together in the jig and lost interest. That was five years ago. You could finish it and try that too. It is a 27" tunnel. I believe the hot shot where 24". This tunnel will handle 50 mph no problem and they drive so nice.

Mike

Opps

Forgot about the twins. You ain't never getting over here. You going to be so busing with the two bundles. One for you and one for Beth. There will be a steady flow of diapers coming from those two.

I will see ya in 2 years

Mike

Now that sounds like a challange! I'll just bundle mine up and take him with me! Nothing like poopy diapers in your shop right?

See ya,

Dick

Gang

After looking at the Villain S1 such as it is, it looks like 5 to 7 oz could be shaved off the boat. However some of this would need to happen up front during the kit building. Seems to me that after thinking about it we might be able to lighten the center section. the formers, the bottom sheeting, and the transom. I have some weight numbers of some different woods and the outcome is quite interesting.

The boat as it is now i have a feeling will be quick and possibly make a great FE tunnel. However great is not goodenuff..

Dan let us know how the FE Villain Works. We will use your input to refine a FE version of the hull. When all is done and you have provided us will information we can put to use on the boat. I will send you an updated version of the boat kit just for FE.. You can not get better information then (UID) User Input Design..

Thats IT! the Villain UID.. ;D

Grim

Disclamer: Dan is not a member of the Power Surge Design Team but he is a cool guy, however he is to fast and a danger to all that want to win a boat race. On that note we will milk his brain untill he can no longer operate a motor powerd anything. Ha ha ha my evel plan at work..

My nitro powerd brain is shrinking and i need help...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..

Grimagain

There is no more room at the inn. My boy already fills the can we have in the garage. I went looking for my jig and low and behold I found a set of bulkheads already done. This is getting even easier as the days fly by.

Mike

Shoot Mike, I might be able to swing in and out of there before Jr 1 or 2 even load one up!

Hey, we just got back from the Hospital. False alarm, but it's close!

So, what's it gonna take to get those frames off of your hands?

Hey Grim, I'd be with the Villain in a heartbeat, but this is a nostalgia trip I've got to take!

Not many FE guys know it, but Mike was one of the first FE guys around and as fast as they get. Now he's all nitro but I still like him!

See ya,

Dick

I been thinking hard on this one. I learned a few things since those days. I have some ideas on how to make it even lighter still and stronger. Cure the sponson leaving problem. I am getting kind of excited about this project. I wish I had some 1/64 ply. This is going to be fun. I have been building planes lately that weight only 6oz. I think I can get the boat to come in at 12oz and still take a beating. My hybrid nitro tunnel weighs in at 1.5 lbs with servos. The electric ones that I built years ago are probably around 1.1 lbs. I charge you what ever the materials cost. I am going to start on it this weekend after I get the garage some what clean.

Mike

Grim

What does the nitro villian weight? Just curious. The old Hot Shot weights in at 2 lbs plus, if you build it to the plans and with the wood they send.

Latest posts

Back