OPC anyone?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowebar

Just finished this one up. It's got an SS1 on it now, but I'd like to find a Plet 290/30 4 turn for it.

The Hull still needs a coat of red paint.

DPI12cellopcSS1.jpg

See ya,

Dick

Hey Dick

I designed and built a 12 cell WOF OPC tunnel about eight years ago. It used a K&B lower leg. Now that it sounds like Ray is going to machine a new aluminum lower leg for electric, it has caught my interest again.

I will have to drag out the old plans and see what needs updating - maybe put it in the line-up of future projects.

Yes it is a DPI. I had one like it years ago but gave it away.

The leg is a K&B that I made for an elec. tunnel I built about 11 years ago. It was a balsa Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5.

I'll probably change to the leg Fuller is making as soon as I can get one.

See ya,

Dick

Hey Dick

I designed and built a 12 cell WOF OPC tunnel about eight years ago. It used a K&B lower leg. Now that it sounds like Ray is going to machine a new aluminum lower leg for electric, it has caught my interest again.

I will have to drag out the old plans and see what needs updating - maybe put it in the line-up of future projects.
I'd like to see that.

My hope would be that the 3.5 class would evolve the way that LSH has with the 700 motor. The DPI might be a little too much boat for that class though. Something lighter would probably be the ticket.

See ya,

Dick

Dick

For a class where the motor has to sit out exposed to the elements, so to speak, the 700 motor would seem to be the ticket. That's a large hunk of weight to hang out way back there but I suppose if one were to start from scratch designing for that, it could be made to work.

Personally, I also think that we have only scratched the surface with the grassroots racing potential of today's sealed can motors. Once again England/Europe has proved that they are way ahead of us in sensible racing classes (personal opinion :D ). These inexpensive, powerful motors are the great legacy of the cordless tool revolution and we mustn't let the blazing performance of the new brushless motors blind us to them.

Ooooohhhh! Ahhhhhh! I would LOVE to have an outboard electric. Maybe someday when I get some "extra" money, I'll convert a Villain S1 into electric. Electric is so simple and clean. Just batteries. (sigh)

Yer lucky, crowebar

Jeff

Dick,

I've got a brand new, still in the original box (5 yr old) Dumas Hot Shot ABS, too heavy for electric?

Thanks,

Ray

Doug, The LSH class got me thinking the same way you are, but the other reason I went with the SS1 is that I'd rather dunk a 700 motor then a Hacker!

Ray, The Dumas boat was very good and may be the best for the 700 motor IF you lightened it up a little.

When I built mine I used the parts as templates then bought lightweight balsa and 1/32nd and 1/64th ply to build it with. It was feather light and very fast. I could run away from the 3.5 nitro's when I was running an Astro 25 on mine. But that was a long time ago. I doubt I'd fair so well with the Astro against the K&B SS. With a Hacker???? Maybe.

elecob2.jpg

See ya,

Dick

Hey Dick,

Nice looking boat you got there...did you lighten up the hull at all?

The cowl on the DPI tunnels look pretty nice...at first i did not thoink they were to much to scale, but as time goes on they seem to get better ;)

I am planning on cutting up a lower much like yours and putting a DPI cover on it (Thanks JD for that!!!) but the boat i am not sure about yet...

One more thing...i understand guys like Larry and Dennis (and Scott) all say that they get or would get the glass versions of tunnels layed up lighter...but does that make them weaker and more prone to warping? or do they just mean the deck and cowl layed up lighter?

Kris

Kris,

Mine is a stock hull. All I did was cut the belly out for to get the batteries as low as possible.

Lighter is usually better in electric boats. I think understanding your goal will help dictate what you do. If you're going to run a SS1 or 700 sized motor I'd keep it as light as possible. However, a BL powerplant will push the limits of a lightweight hull, maybe too far. I really haven't run Electric tunnels enough to be a real authority.

I'm going to run mine tomorrow with the SS1 on it. My fingers are crossed.

Good luck,

Dick

Dick, Sounds good...I remeber you mentioned you ran one of them (DPI Tunnel) on nitro...but have you an one before with electric, 12 cells and +?

Please do let us know how it goes...anything to do with Tunnels, I'm interested :) Any chance of getting a spectator to take a video and some pictures of it running? :p

Kris

Hi Kris,

I used to work with DPI and was involved in the electric conversion of this boat. And yes, I did run nitro versions too. I had a 3.5 stock and 3.5 mod. I still have the 3.5 stock boat. It was awesome in both cases. It's only down fall was that it was a plastic boat and not as durrable over time as glass boats. But for the price!!!!! Not a bad way to go.

It's raining right now so I'm not sure when I'll go out but I'm sure I'll run it some time today.

See ya,

Dick

Hey Dick

I just found out that I am getting that OPC tunnel that I told you about, back again (yes, it's still around, intact). I should have it next weekend. I'll get some shots of it and post them.

Hey Dick,

How did the testing go, if it went at all?

Doug, which sort/brand of tunnel will you be getting? or are you refering to the WOF tunnel you mentioned earlier in this thread?

Kris

Hi,I am looking forward to this years OPC racing.Any thoughts on the Villian converted to electric??

Kris

Yes, it is the boat that I mentioned in the earlier post. I haven't seen it in years, but I'm getting it back from its latest owner. If memory serves me correctly. I think it is a little small for use with a 700 motor (which I think is the future of an OPC 12 cell class). I think it is 24" long and there are some other things that I would redesign for today's use of a 700 motor. I'll post pictures when I get it back. :)

Dennis

I'll be going up to Peter's (Climate) shop this week and I'm pretty sure he has one of Grim's Villain kits in stock. I'm going to have a good look at it for precisely what you proposed. I'll let you know what I think.

Also, maybe Grim (Mike) will tell us what he thinks. I also know that there is a revised S2 version on the way.

Doug

The Villain S1 with rocking paint job less motor and radio comes in at a feather light 1 lb 14oz. This is bone kit stock will no attempt to lighten any further.

A 700 and 12 cells would make this thing rock.

Grim

Wow nice to see OPC getting a little attention.Nice boat Dick.

I raely think that Im going to get a would kit now that my building is getting better.Im trying to trade for a Villian.But its not looking good.

I guess il have to spring for a new one.After seeing that building party Im a player!!!

Latest posts

Back