onboard video Miss Bud gas scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott williamson

Hi everyone here is a link to one of the videos i took with one of my scale hydros .it has a modified 26 zenoah

Thanks Hugh ,im having more fun with the gas scale hydros than 1/8 scales,you just throw them in and they keep goin.

Scott,boat looks and runs great.For those who want to get a look in more detail of Scott's fleet,go to the Hydroplane Museum site.

Scott,is your gas scale the same as ours,1/6667 or 20% over 1/8 scale?

Are you using rear exhaust engines in your Bud and Timex,or are your decks high enough to hide a side exhaust?If the decks are high enough,are they scale?Did you use a belly pan to lower your engine enough to hide it under the dummy engine?How modded are your engines,and do you use the same spec. in all your boats?

Are your boats wood or glass?

What are their weights?

If it's not your secret weapon,could you share your choice in props?

How does the gas scale speed compare to your 1/8 scales?

As I'm sure you know, we are just getting started in gas scale in the US,and any info will help to get us jump started.If there are more tidbits that you would share,please chime in.

Thanks

Harvey

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Harvey, my gas scale boats i have scaled up 25% from newtons plans,i made molds for the bottom half with bellypans in them ,both engines are Omen side exhaust zenoahs and the Timex has a 3 inch offset 90 degree header.The other has a 110 degree header which makes getting to the pipe easier.I havent changed the scale measurements at all apart from the belly pan as i want them to look as scale as possible . The decks and cowls i shaped out of urethane foam and glassed them, and the dummy merlins i whittled out of balsa and pine on the front porch.The Timex is about 22 pounds and the Bud i made a bit lighter at 20 pounds .Im new to the gas engines and the only thing i know about zenoahs is how to pull the string. Both props are 2716s from memory.Someone gave me one to try and it worked so at this point i havent tried any other props or made any pipe adjustments. When i stop building hulls i will spend more time on props and pipe length just to see if there is any improvement ,both rudders are offset 3 inches to the left ,The Bud turns tighter ,im not sure if this is design or because it has a new digital servo on the rudder,although i did have to reduce the airtrap on this one because it was constantly airborne. Its hard to say how the speed compares with my 1/8 scales ,usually by the time i get them running i have to go home or they are motionless in the middle of the lake. At this stage there isnt a class running for gas scale in Australia so i have to run with the sport hydros. Scott

Woo! you got that big guy plane-ing nicely. Awesome! gas has really come along way. Its just high as hell. By the time there done it will cost like nitro! 20-40 bucks a gallon :lol: . Thats a seriously clean and quick Boat you have there B) .

Hugh

Nice boat there,Wow wish i could get 50 % nitro for 30 a gall.I pay 60 ,But i get get for free a couple gal at a time any how.

Woo! you got that big guy plane-ing nicely. Awesome! gas has really come along way. Its just high as hell. By the time there done it will cost like nitro! 20-40 bucks a gallon :lol: . Thats a seriously clean and quick Boat you have there B) .

Hugh. Thanks Hugh, the way things are going in Australia at the moment with the fun police running the place i m sure it won't be long before we are forced to run our boats on 50% renewable energy.ie. solar panels or wind turbines
g

Latest posts

Back