Olympia 1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the vertical fin is shaped properly at the top, it should be legal for any NAMBA or IMPBA scale race AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC DOCUMENTATION

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn check with the Scale Chairman for your district and present info and ask what his/her decision would be. If needed have a pow wow with the National and the District Scale Chairmen to make sure you have approval to run without the wing.

Mike, since Marty Shallenberger is the NAMBA Unlimited Chairman, wouldn't he be the one to talk to about this? I'm sure he would be very interested in this subject since he's built a gas scale Olympia. Steve Peterson would be the one to talk to at IMPBA as well

Bill- If I'm not mistaken, the Notre Dame ran in both configurations, flat transom and the "cut out" I suspect the cut out was filled in at some point so they could move the strut closer to the rear of the boat. So I think you are good... Fred

I don't believe most 1/8th Scale boaters are that particular about a recess in a 7207 transom, or whether or not the mount of the wing on an Olympia is as configured on the real boat. When I saw that the R/C Unlimiteds group is allowing the 1986 U-100 Boat to race without the tail feathers - I think we can safely say: "That ship has sailed".

Most of the boats entered in Scale events are commercially available hulls that have been painted to look like a picture the owner has of the Scale boat he's trying to model. Many are built and painted by someone other than the particular owner. They are not 1/8th Scale "one off" builds of a particular real hull. Once you get beyond ensuring the measurements are within the range limits of +/- 1" of Master Hull Roster length, and +/- 10% of Beam, Maximum Depth, Afterplane length, and Tunnel width - - the rest just has to be close, not exact.

The specifications for R/C Unlimited is certainly more stringent than IMPBA or NAMBA. Their Rule Book is available on line - all 35 pages of it. Scale Unlimited Hydroplane rules in the NAMBA Rule Book( available from (www.namba.com) are four pages. Don F. has posted IMPBA Rules for Unlimited Scale Hydro. They may be 4 pages when available.

• NAMBA Rule Book states: "Photographs of the boat are an acceptable form of documentation"
  • Section F. Scale Concours Judging 1. All boats are to be judged from six feet off (stand off scale). A picture must be supplied to the contest director for each boat entered in the concours judging

IMPBA and NAMBA Scale boats are - at the best - Stand Off Scale and will never be come 1/8th exact models of a particular real Unlimited. In most cases, scale three view, or engineering drawings are not available from any source. They are generally colorful, look like a boat a spectator can associate with, and have provided a lot of entertainment to competators and spectators over the years. There are "Race Boats" and there are "Concours boats" and each fills a place within Unlimited Scale Hydroplane modeling , no matter what their scale. CHEERS !!! Bob

Keep in mind that pic without the wing was because the boat got damaged and they took the wing off during that race weekend. I was considering doing the Oly a few years ago because I heard she ran without the wing but once I learned it was due to damage and not a planned race configuration I decided against it.
If the boat ran in competition without a wing-it would make a legal 1/8 scale-am I wrong?????
I just didn't want to hear any BS if someone decided to bust my chops for replicating a "broken boat" (which has happened to others in the past). Just be sure you cut the top of the vertical like the wing shape so it's "correct" . :lol: :lol: :D ;)

When I raced in Southern California, Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association (SCSTA) checked all boats at the first race of the season for measurements, and had to run them to meet a minimum lap time. The Registrar this partucular year told one of the San Diego racers that ran an Ira Cotton shovel nose MHR 7221 hull, that he needed to add the louvered vent on the after deck to either side of the vertical fin ( see attached pic and the vent just beyond the scrub brush, and the after deck of the Kawaguchi Travel Service boats). I thought we were going to have an all out brawl that day. I'm thinking someone turned a fire hose loose on the participants there at Prado Dam.

I don't think any one had this feature on their 7221 hulls, and there were lots of them running back then. Har, Har !!! OOPS !!! Ira's did.

OK Don, Just for you, so the vertical fin will be properly shaped on top - - Har, Har, Har !!! Oh, Gawd - - It's not the Olympia.

CHEERS !!! Bob

I thought it was cool to look for the boats that ran Odd things to make as models. Wasn't there a Miller boat red that ran the gold boats wing or something along them lines. same team 2 hulls sharing wings. I don't think it was a planned thing but the boat did race that way so a 1/8 scale model should be allowed. or should I say they where allowed in our district at the time.

someone help me on what boat did this...

Are you referring to 1988? Both of Fran Muncey's hulls (Miller and Circus Circus) got beat up pretty bad throughout the day. Chip jumped in the Circus hull, which had the Miller verticals.

Rick

88 Circus Circus w Miller Wings.jpg

Brent, Rick is right it was the Circus that ran with the Miller verts and no airscoop af the 1988 Gold Cup. Both were damaged and Chip moved into the seat of the Circus so he could continue his streak of Gold Cup wins.

Bob, NAMBA's procedure on this has wavered a bit over the years. In my first go round as a district Scale Chairman I was told I could be as strict or loose within the rules as I wanted. Same when I was the National Scale Chairman. I am assuming it is still the same as I am in my second go round as the District Scale Chair for D9.

HJ as far as Marty's gas scale is concerned you would have to ask him. I do not know how the rules for gas scale are being interpreted.

Keep in mind that pic without the wing was because the boat got damaged and they took the wing off during that race weekend. I was considering doing the Oly a few years ago because I heard she ran without the wing but once I learned it was due to damage and not a planned race configuration I decided against it.
If the boat ran in competition without a wing-it would make a legal 1/8 scale-am I wrong?????
I just didn't want to hear any BS if someone decided to bust my chops for replicating a "broken boat" (which has happened to others in the past). Just be sure you cut the top of the vertical like the wing shape so it's "correct" . :lol: :lol: :D ;)
:lol: can of worm successfully opened! I do not know if the hull will be used as a Olympia or not- I'm in the process of packing up for a move back to Nor-Cal. When I get there I'll find out who is running what. No scale racing in UT or CO. Hope it's still alive in CA. Don's ol Eagle Electric needs some exersize.

Glenn

HJ as far as Marty's gas scale is concerned you would have to ask him. I do not know how the rules for gas scale are being interpreted.
Mike, I wasn't refering to the scale or gas scale class per se'. What I was talking about is since Marty is the Unlimited Chairman, he needs to be consistant in what he does. It wouldn't look good if he said that the 7207 and 7474 have to run a wing in the scale class but not in gas scale. At best some would be slightly upset, at worst he could be attacked for making rulings that looked like they were made to benefit him and his boat over the advancement of both the scale and gas scale classes.

Well Glenn we run at least 1 heat of scale at every race. Sometimes as many as three. Depends on the race. Not sure about SoCal. Guys tell me it's kinda spotty.

HJ I know Marty has different rules for Gas Scale in the NW as it is still just a regional class and is not a NAMBA class yet so the NAMBA Scale Rules wouldn't apply yet. They are still making adjustments with engines and such before a set of rules can be submitted for NAMBA as a full fledged class. I would think that they would mirror the 1/8 scale rules in a lot of ways but again you would need to consult him on this.

Well I started typing and it hit me,so I just shut up.Key word INTENT..... I have a perfect 73 Red Man scale just looking at me. Dont want to tear it up so here it sits 1/4 on garage dust on it. Then I race a less than perfect boat U-64-U-65 exhaust missing a few battle scars.And soon to have a pair of Bud boats again One near perfect other as close as I can with possibly my own paint<that will make it way less than perfect...... I guess my point is do as good as you can get some good pics and try to duplicate to the best of your ability and lets go race replicas of real racing boats....

The main problem I have with this entire debate is the fact stuff like this turns many boaters away from scale :unsure:

Find a picture, build and paint it as close a your abilities and facilities allow and go to the pond and have fun!!!!!

gh

My thought on the subject is there are too many that can't do just that, Greg. I feel that if your boat looks like the real boat, great. If it is close, no problem. if it's so far off that anyone can tell at 10 feet, we have an issue. I personally go for as close to exact as I can get. That way, if I'm off on some detail or whatever, no one will be screaming at me, I hope anyway ;)

Don - When I built my Gas Scale version of the Oly Beer Boat I checked into the history of the boat because as a general rule we do not allow replicas of broken boats to be registered in any of the NAMBA District eight family of Scale Racing clubs, PNWTA- UNW - RCU- ERCU and Electric Scale Unlimiteds. What I found out from the local Hydroplane and Race-Boat Museum historian is that the boat was purposely run with out the wing at the Dayton race due to the short course. I also confirmed that with the owner of the 1/8 scale version that runs without the wing in the UNW club and he told me that he spoke with Billy directly about the wing issue and he confirmed it was by choice. So as far as I'm concerned we have done the research on the wing question and as the current NAMBA scale chairman I rule that it can run with or with out the wing within NAMBA. If anyone has any proof that the information that I have is not correct please let me know

Mike, I wasn't refering to the scale or gas scale class per se'. What I was talking about is since Marty is the Unlimited Chairman, he needs to be consistant in what he does. It wouldn't look good if he said that the 7207 and 7474 have to run a wing in the scale class but not in gas scale. At best some would be slightly upset, at worst he could be attacked for making rulings that looked like they were made to benefit him and his boat over the advancement of both the scale and gas scale classes.
Hydro Junkie- I wanted to thank you for letting me eat steak this Saturday for dinner instead of some heart healthy meal - please let me explain why.

When this thread first started I made a bet with my wife that you wouldn't be able to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself and she said no he must have learned from all his past issues so the bet was steak or a heart healthy dinner on Saturday night. Well I won and I get to eat steak.

On another note when I run the NW Scale Championship race in October I would prefer you did not bother the racers this year so I am asking that you watch the race with the rest of the spectators from the viewing area and do not enter the pits... Thank you in advance for following my request.

Back