old fuel disposal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Cousin

Where are your city dwellers disposing of your old fuel? I have a half gallon of 65% that I ruined by leaving the cap off overnight. I figure the methenol has soaked up a bunch of humidity by now (Houston humidity at that) and the nitro is long gone.

Dan,

If you live out in the country it starts a great woodpile fire. My last one had 20 foot flames

dancing up in ther air. :D Needless to say the pile burn down real well.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Do you have a lawn mower that is a pain in the ass to start ??? :blink: :lol:

Tim K

I use old fuel to get rid of old boats. Fill the hull full of fuel, light it off, give it a good shove out into the lake, say a few choice words and have a Viking Funeral. :D :D :D It really makes you feel better.

I heard of a technique that can get the moisture out of methanol but I have never tried it...

If you put the jug of fuel in a freezer overnight, the moisture in the fuel will freeze and precipitate out in tiny droplets. Both methanol and nitro have a much lower freezing point so the fuel remain liquid.

You can then use a filter paper and a funnel to filter out the moisture.

Kez

Where are your city dwellers disposing of your old fuel? I have a half gallon of 65% that I ruined by leaving the cap off overnight. I figure the methenol has soaked up a bunch of humidity by now (Houston humidity at that) and the nitro is long gone.
Dan:

Get some Silica Jell and put it in the fuel. Strain it through a paint filter and your fuel is better than new. We always did that before a record trial to get the moisture out completely.

Marty Davis

Dan:

Get some Silica Jell and put it in the fuel. Strain it through a paint filter and your fuel is better than new. We always did that before a record trial to get the moisture out completely.

Marty Davis
Problem is that I don't know how much nitro, methanol is left after all night with the cap off. I do know it is much thicker than a fresh bottle.

Any way to tell. Evaporation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back