Old Dominion Model Boat Association SAW

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston_Hall

It's almost here. Looks like there will be decent temperatures but about a 10mph NNE wind.

A few of the records I know to be attemted will be

B Mono (if time allows) - Kentley Porter

B Hydro - Kentley Porter, he wants to get over 100mph

A Mono - myself, like to get over 50mph

A Hydro - myself, like to get over 80mph with the new Orlic power plant

D Hydro - Don Ferrette

Preston_Hall said:
It's almost here. Looks like there will be decent temperatures but about a 10mph NNE wind.
A few of the records I know to be attempted will be

B Mono (if time allows) - Kentley Porter

B Hydro - Kentley Porter, he wants to get over 100mph

A Mono - myself, like to get over 50mph

A Hydro - myself, like to get over 80mph with the new Orlic power plant

D Hydro - Don Ferrette

69537[/snapback]

John Finch will be attempting the E hydro record.

I will also try to up my 108mph F hydro mark if time permits. Target is to get over 115. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday was a blowout for most of us but W.T., Todd and Justin Anderson showed up from Wilmington with a few LS 36 Monos that seemed to like the wind. Todd's boat was hung out for all it was worth. The back end would slide to the side going down the straights. That was cool. Todd showed how a 30cc Homelite with a canister muffler is indeed capable of turning respectable rpm. Todd set a record at 4.739sec (47.478mph) only to have his dad come back Sunday and up it to 4.636sec (48.533mph). Nothing like having Pop take you back to school. :) It was nice to meet them and I hope to see them again.

Sunday, well, it was perfect.

Kentley Porter had a new 21 boat with the latest Orlic power plant. You could say we saw it all or you could say we saw nothing at all since the boat came off the water and landed on the rudder bending it at 90 degrees and ripping off the transom. That was a tough break as that design has weathered many hits without failure. So what did we see? Nothing. But what we heard was the engine fourth stage! That was awsome! Practically unbelievable!

Don Ferrette had his D hydro out and after many attempts he just could not get the record. However, he made multiple passes well over 100mph. His fastest passes were 109.971mph and 107.244mph. The record is 109.863mph. It was a tough break and ceertainly very teasing and ultimately disappointing.

Mike Saleeby brought a new Seaducer and Quickdraw combination. He had done his homework and made his fastest passes at the begining. He established a new XLS 27 Mono record of 3.285sec (68.493mph).

Myself, I could not figure out my A hydro. I had a new motor from Frank Orlic that seemed to have a lot of promise. I could pull any of my props very easily but the boat just didn't have the speed. I had a new ABC prop that looked promising since it was almost big enough for a 21 but I lost the shaft. :angry: To sum it up, same boat, same and better props, better motor and slower speeds. Must have been something in the boat. Go figure. :unsure: I was able to get a few runs with the Xtreme Thing A Mono which nailed a record of 4.579sec (49.137mph). Neat! The boat looked good going across the water.

All-in-all it was a good event. Some had tough breaks and some needed more homework.

Thanks for the update! Ya, when I saw the weather reports for Sunday I knew you guys were having fun!

Gonna have to come down and play with y'all one of these times. Any idea how big the pond is? What direction is it situated, ie: north/south etc.?

Did John Finch make it out?

Terry Keeley said:
Thanks for the update!  Ya, when I saw the weather reports for Sunday I knew you guys were having fun!
Gonna have to come down and play with y'all one of these times.  Any idea how big the pond is?  What direction is it situated, ie: north/south etc.?

70079[/snapback]

How big! I have a pic to post but let's just say you won't go that far. It is sometimes used as a slalom water ski course.

John was there and ended up driving Don's boat. Nothing like a veteran. I left him out of the report because I was being nice. ;)

Preston_Hall said:
John was there and ended up driving Don's boat. Nothing like a veteran. I left him out of the report because I was being nice. ;)
70081[/snapback]

Yup, after frustration began to set in I turned the radio over to John. When you get that close & can't get it you start to wonder ........ well I thought maybe John would do better. It didn't matter, we got soooo close, even bettering the mark but just could not get over the hump far enough.

The conditions were about perfect Sunday, except for the off & on (mostly on) rain all day. As John & I talked about it on the 3+ hour ride home we pondered if perhaps it was a little too wet. I ran without a cowl & we theorized (one of many) that maybe the motor was taking in just a little too much moisture. That big MAC carb sitting way up there in front might have been creating it's own water injection. Well I've got all winter to think about it..... :unsure:

Preston_Hall said:
Terry Keeley said:
Thanks for the update!  Ya, when I saw the weather reports for Sunday I knew you guys were having fun!
Gonna have to come down and play with y'all one of these times.  Any idea how big the pond is?  What direction is it situated, ie: north/south etc.?

70079[/snapback]

How big! I have a pic to post but let's just say you won't go that far. It is sometimes used as a slalom water ski course.

70081[/snapback]

Thanks, maybe next fall, sea level's gotta be better than the 800' of Flint or Huntsville... ;)

Terry,

Here is a pic of the lake. I have got to get my own camera.

Back