OK, I have an FE question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
(I posted this in the OB forum, then remembered this section... :D )

I am in the process of completing my Q tunnel. I am running a Seaking 180 speedo, a leopard 4082 motor, and a 6S 5000mah pack. My question is with programming the speedo.

Should I leave it in its default state? The default settings (if I am reading the horribly translated Chinese to English manual correctly) is as follows:

Forward only

Auto Calculate (number of cells)

Low Voltage Cutoff 3.2V/cell

Timing 15 degrees.

I have many options, but have no clue....primarily about the timing. It seems I have around 8 preset parameters I can choose from, but they all have different timings (from 0 up to 26.25 degrees)

I know I want forward only, and I know I want it to auto calculate the number of cells (I think?) and I know I want a low voltage cutoff for the lipos (is 3.2volts ok?)

I DONT know about timing.

HELLLLP!

~ James

James, I would set the timing at 11...you should be fine...

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
The timing could be dropped to maybe 5 degrees.How much does a 4082 weight?Higher timings are for polypole outrunners.More poles more timing less poles less timing. Consider 2 - 6 pole inrunner motors low timing motor 0-10 degrees. Higher than six pole outrunners mid to high timings 10 to 20 plus degrees timing. Under timing heats the motor over timing heats the esc I think :huh: . I gotta think on than one for a minute. to low a timing and the motor will cog and lose sync.

Nothings wrong with 11 degrees but i dont think it will be the best timing for a 4 pole motor. that motor shouldnt require that much timing . if its more than is needed it will put uneccessary stress on the esc. im not sure how many stator arms a leo has

Hugh

Last edited:
My timing options are 0*, 3.75*, 7.50*, 11.25*, 15.00*, 18.75*, 22.50*, and 26.50*

What difference does changing the timing make? Im out of my realm here... anybody got a dummies guide to brushless motor timing?

Any timing lower than 7.5 will be fine for that motor . It is a D-wind motor so between 5 and zero is where you should be as I advised.advancing it will give "seemingly" more power but it will be at the expense of the esc- something you dont wanna do.

degrees correlate to the angle between the poles and the stator arm as the motor rotates and the esc wants to fire the coil closet to the next appropriate pole. Thats why the esc has to know where the motor is it has to "TIME the firing of the fet bridge" appropriately. crudely speaking changing the timing changes the speed of the bridge the more poles the more events per rotation thus more speed is needed to commutate the motor correctly. Laymans you need more timing for high speed outrunners when the speed gets to high you get to fast for the esc mcu speed or incorrect timing setting you get the hi and low side of the bride firing agaainst each other creating a dead short and the infamous smoke fe boaters dred :( - another toasted esc! Run an inrunner to fast on an esc or have the timing to slow and you WILL lose that esc.

higher pole motors make more torque and are more efficient but are harder on esc's - a pros and con no one ever really speaks of

Hugh

Last edited:
if it is a D Wind motor (the 1450 and 2000KVmotors) good rule of thumb is 3-5 desrees.

if it is a wye (Y) Wind motor (the 1000, 1250 and 1600KV motors) good rull of thumb is around 7.5 to maybe 15 degrees.

(D and Y type of wind info from Leopard site)

Outrunner motors are in sort of league of their own. They like HIGH timing.

Like Hotwater said, start at 7.5 degrees.

as for cell count DO NOT USE the auto selection on the ESC. program it in to the actual number of cells you are going to use.

You can set the cut off to around 3.0-3.2. (personally, I turn it off and watch battery volts) (at times SOME of the T-180 esc's low voltage cut offs

pop on WAY too early that is why I turn mine off.)

First and foremost is to CALIBRATE your transmitter to the ESC.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF you are using a Futaba radio or one of the Flysky radios, REVERSE the throttle FIRST.

also one very important thing to do is set up your radio using a SEPREATE battery pack. (I know I will get flack

on this one.) SOME of the T-180 esc's do not like to be run using the on board BEC using 6S power. Just remove the red lead from the

esc lead going to the receiver and tape it back onto itself to get it out of the way.

If you have not done so already, GET THE PROGRAM BOX. best thing you can do believe me.

Thats about it on the T-180. It is a work horse of an ESC and it is kind of like a Timex watch, it take a licking and keeps on ticking.

:D

I have 2 of those in the twin 47" Insane mono that is in my avatar.

Good advice Carl. definately use a seperate pack for the rx...anything above 4S!

"if it is a D Wind motor (the 1450 and 2000KVmotors) good rule of thumb is 3-5 desrees."

"Like Hotwater said, start at 7.5 degrees"

if its a d wind which i dont know whether it is or not why would he start at the hottest setting :huh:

Top best thing to do is make sure whether its a d or Y then start appropriately there . The hottest setting is not the most efficient. T180's are okay but you cant go doing anything you want with one and expect it to hold. That motor can pull over 180 amps propped wrong. Take your time please ive seen your exact motor burn a t180 up coz it was timed to high.

also one very important thing to do is set up your radio using a SEPREATE battery pack. (I know I will get flack

on this one.) SOME of the T-180 esc's do not like to be run using the on board BEC using 6S power. Just remove the red lead from the

esc lead going to the receiver and tape it back onto itself to get it out of the way.

SOME OR ALL? what would make the difference? THE USER of course.

in the sake of not confusing you more ill leave it alone but i wouldnt start at the highest setting for the motor it doesnt make sense. Your boat and set up are unique to you. Id lay on the side of being conservative and gradually go up. Up to you ultimately .

Pm me if you need anything

Hugh

Thanks for the info guys, thats definitely the type of stuff I was looking for. After doing this hobby for 16 years now, I realize there may be differing opinions on things. I appreciate all the info you put out there, and I will do a little research on my own now. I have no intentions of letting the smoke out on this thing, so the conservative side is definitely where I will be.

Had no idea the BEC on the ESC wasnt up to the task. Hope I saved enough room in the radio box for another pack....

Its definitely a D wind motor, so I think I will start at the 3.75* timing setting, manually program the number of cells, forward only and set the cutoff at 3.0 v/cell

I was planning on starting with a M445 (I actually run this on my P-Limited setup) or M447 prop, any thoughts on propping for a similar set-up?

Thanks!

A m445 seems to do fine on limited tunnels a 4082 will chew up an m445 ;) . you may end up with a larger 4 or 6 series props when done.

cant wait to see it run.

hugh :)

Last edited:
Cool, I have plenty of props to play with, but will likely end up with a smaller prop anyway, just to keep the thing on the water. My limited tunnel is fast enough to keep me on my toes in that respect, so I know this will be 'fun'.

I also just ordered a programming box for the speedo, to make my life a little easier.

~ James

yepper, 3.75 deg timing is good.

the 7deg I mentiond Hugh was for the WYE (Y) series motors. (put it in the wrong portion of the sentence.) :(

Yeah, had I known then what I know now, I would have included that pertinent information (KV/pole/wind info) in the original question. :D

Either way, thanks for helping this new FE'er out, I have definitely got the bug...

I now officially have more FE race boats, than I do Nitro race boats. Ok, its only 2:1, but still. That P-limited boat is FUN!

Yeah, had I known then what I know now, I would have included that pertinent information (KV/pole/wind info) in the original question. :D

Either way, thanks for helping this new FE'er out, I have definitely got the bug...

I now officially have more FE race boats, than I do Nitro race boats. Ok, its only 2:1, but still. That P-limited boat is FUN!
Hey James! I'm not gonna let you have all the fun! I'm building a P limited rigger! :D :)

Back