OK Gent's I have enough input/ Can an admin lock this one please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to the nature of this hobby a boat can run perfect one day and fail the next day,

If this wasn't true we would have 8 boats heats every round.]

Plastic tanks splits,metal tanks pickup tubes crack, fuel lines fail, bearings do go bad, gaskets fail,cases crack at no fault of anybody's and so on..............

Sounds like the entire deal started with BAD fuel then no maintainance to follow..Not Ricks fault, I have seen his stuff and it is "tip top"

Yup.. I have wasted hours of my time and seen even the best boaters play "duck duck goose" to find a problem and later had the light bulb go off and forgot to go after the fuel first. IF the fuel had moisture in it, plugs would be taken, the engine will not make more that a lap if lucky and if the engine was not flushed out corrosion would follow,, and follow FAST...... like overnight. Also if someone used HOT plugs they would go even faster and trash the engine with elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Football's John Madden has a saying: There are three types of people on earth:

1: People that make things happen;

2: People that watch things happen;

3: People that don't know what's hapening.

Obviously, the guy that bought the boat is in the third groupe.

It sounds like wrong fuel, dirty fuel and/or NO maintance of the motor after his getting the boat.

This sort of situation finally was a big factor in my retiring from my parts business (RPM Inc.) after 20+ years.

Most guys in this hobby that race are stand up guys & understand there are no standard garrentees on performance parts & motors.

If the boat ran fine before leaving your hands, you are done with it beyond what I suggested above-

If possible when somebody had a problem like this, I would spend some time with them in my shop or at the lake & make the boat run again & sign off on it.

You think John Madden was right? I do....

Derret

Football's John Madden has a saying: There are three types of people on earth:

1: People that make things happen;

2: People that watch things happen;

3: People that don't know what's hapening.

Obviously, the guy that bought the boat is in the third groupe.
Derret,

There is also a 4th type of person and you are representing them well.....

As Tim K pointed out... Try and help the guy out from a knowledge and experience standpoint. Depending on the buyer's level of knowledge, he may not know the sequence of things to check in order to identify the problem and solve it. Having a good process of elimination to work through will likely help him to identify the problem.

I had a similar problem and determined that it was a fuel delivery issue. There was a piece of debri in the needle valve. It took awhile to locate this. I swapped tanks,fuel lines, fuel, etc before swapping the valve. The new valve worked... problem identified.

Having noticed some corrosion in his engine suggests that he needs advice. Advice is what keeps the new comers interested in staying in the hobby. The choice on how to proceed is yours alone.

Was it my old boat, doesnt matter Rick stuff is top notch you have done everything you can for him now lets see if he tell you if he has messed with the engine. Robert

Rick I've been working with model boats for long time here in Brazil and I do perfectly know what you are facing with this situation.Two weeks ago during a pond tests with my brand new Jae 21 with a brand new engine that was haulin'asses a guy came to me and said he would like to buy my boat. I let him drove the boat and ,explained the step by step of maintainance to then have the sale done.

Last saturday I met him again with the same model and .I was curious to know how he will deal with the equipment.After half an hour trying to fire the engine up I decided to give him a help and figure out that his glow igniter had no charge,he had changed the glowplug for a bad one and the fuel was white showing high percentage of moisture in it.Well as Tim K pointed out we have to motivate people to enter and keep the hobby alive but in your case no way to make a repair that is not your responsability.

Gill

www.grsboats.com.br

So I can put this one to bed,,, I have decided to get a new set of bearings, and replace them.

New owner has stated he has replaced all of the "O"-Rings in the engine & needle valve, so a set of bearings should get him on his way.

Will also have a chat about after run

Thanks all

Latest posts

Back