OK Gent's I have enough input/ Can an admin lock this one please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK,

Those of you that know me, know how I take care of my equipment, IE: my after run routine, of cleaning & oiling my engines.

Now onward,,, awhile back I sold a boat & engine package, last time it was run, was at the Fall Nat's in October. Boat ran at that race,, had to of (I was accused of hitting a dead boat) but I really didn't,, came close though!!!!!

Sold the boat shortly after that, About a month, month and a half later, I'm asked to contact the buyer,, I do.

Buyer states he can not make the boat run, more that a lap or so,, we talk about a few things, and possable suggestions to look at.

I did find out, the buyer had changed the fuel lines, guess the color wasn't good??

again, another month goes by, and I get a message stating, everything he has tried, makes no difference.

and if he has to replace the piston & sleeve, and bearings,, that the cost of them would make the buy not so good, what do I intend to do, to correct the problem.

I offered to have the buyer send the engine back to me, I'd go through it, and see what I could see. and replace the bearings, if needed.

I get the engine back today, so I head to the garage to dis-assemble it. I pull the head off first, Found that it looks like glow plugs wire has "peppered" the head, and top of piston (I did notice that a different glow plug is being used, I use the O'Donnell Blue plugs, and sent one with the engine. The engine now has an OD88)

Don't know the difference in this plug, seems to be a smaller wire than the Blue's.?

So, now I pull off the back plate, I see there is like NO oil in the engine, and the rod has the "tell-Tail" dark spots from water being left in the engine.

Pull the flywheel, and the crank out, I find rust spots all around the outer race of the big bearing.

OK, Now for your opinions,,, What would YOU do for this gent?

No names have been mentioned (cept mine) and won't,, by me!

Tell me your thoughts please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick,

In my business dealings I have always considered it fair that if someone buys something from me and then changes it in anyway then I can no longer be expected to repair or replace the item. Certainly if someone does not properly maintain the equipment then the responsibility is completely on them. In this case the time frame seems a little long, the engine was not properly maintained then I think you are a really nice guy to take a look at it and see if there is anything you can do. After that I would think he is on his own.

My two cents.

D

Rick,

In my business dealings I have always considered it fair that if someone buys something from me and then changes it in anyway then I can no longer be expected to repair or replace the item. Certainly if someone does not properly maintain the equipment then the responsibility is completely on them. In this case the time frame seems a little long, the engine was not properly maintained then I think you are a really nice guy to take a look at it and see if there is anything you can do. After that I would think he is on his own.

My two cents.

D
So, would it be unreasonable to agree to replace the (buyers supplied bearings) and re-assemble for him?

Thanks for your insight.

I would feel 100 perc confident in anything I purchased from you Rick - I know how well you take care of your stuff. That said- do what you feel is right- IMHO - you owe the purchaser nothing other than maybe a maint lesson and a second chance/parts and shipping at his cost. And NO not unreasonable at all.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
First I must say you have more than done your part. Beyond what would be expected.

To much time has past for starters.

This person bought something that was used. Regaurdless of the previous owners diligent care taking. That being said. The current owner must not have taken proper care of the engine if it is showing signs of rust or corosion. It doe not take much time or oil to eliminate water/nitro damage.

Do what ever you feel you should, he could have screwed the engine up past the bearing end of it though could be a never ending headache, bad part about selling used nitro engines (or new ones) is other peoples lack of tuning abilitys (and trust me they think cause they run offroad they are pro tuner's and its not the same)---GOOD LUCK

You have to do what feels right and fair for you but I definately don't see how any reasonable person could expect you to put bearings in that motor.

rick,, did you ask him what fuel he was using?? who knows could be some 6 yr old car fuel..... could be the reason for the dropped elements... or heck he could just be running that thing insanely lean....... tough one man.... again the time period,,,its gone on way to long.... as far as im concerned,,,lack of care,, and time lapse sets the issue in his lap...... if its apart,,and you have the bearings,,toss it together for him and tell him it is what it is....if it needs a piston and sleeve its his issue,,and if it does,,then he cooked it....

again the fuel he is using could be a huge factor here.......

i have seen that boat run there was nothing wrong with it. rick just put that motor back together and send it back.

i would have liked to have it . now that i drive a suburban i have more room for more boats B)

rick,, did you ask him what fuel he was using?? who knows could be some 6 yr old car fuel..... could be the reason for the dropped elements... or heck he could just be running that thing insanely lean....... tough one man.... again the time period,,,its gone on way to long.... as far as im concerned,,,lack of care,, and time lapse sets the issue in his lap...... if its apart,,and you have the bearings,,toss it together for him and tell him it is what it is....if it needs a piston and sleeve its his issue,,and if it does,,then he cooked it....

again the fuel he is using could be a huge factor here.......
Someone once gave me a stearn talking to about engine care...... I took from that and have learned and now have clean engines with nice bearings!!!! Thanks Alden!!!! Thank god I didn't send that engine to Jerry for mods he would have sent me a 2 page report on how I neglected the engine!!!

I personally would send them the same talk about engine care that Alden gave me on how to properly care for a nitro engine and when they admit they are in the wrong and take the lesson maybe replace the bearings for them if they say please.

A stupid isa as a stupid does. You arnt liable for dumb people. Send it back tell them if they want a warranty to go to walmart. Dont get me wrong if some thing i ever sold was wrong due to me i would gladly fix it no quesfions asked but common this guy is just takinv advantage of the whole situation

A stupid isa as a stupid does. You arnt liable for dumb people. Send it back tell them if they want a warranty to go to walmart. Dont get me wrong if some thing i ever sold was wrong due to me i would gladly fix it no quesfions asked but common this guy is just takinv advantage of the whole situation
I agree with Chris in the above statement

Walt Barney

its left your hand in all good condition , well maintained and loved, you then sell it to another buyer assuming they have knowledge of running them,or give them advise on looking after it.

my opinion is there lack of knowledge has caused **** so they wear fair and square laying with there mess up's and bad managment of the engine.

answer is tell em to take it to someone who cares not your problem

lol...well kevin your not the only one my friend..bill gibson will attest to that...lol...thing is,,,now you know,,and your engines are spotless,,every time you pull them down...you know...i got my fair share of reaming from j dubs when i started out...mainly about my bolt torque habits...moral here is everyone needs a little direction now and then... from the sounds of it rick,,,this guy surely does need the lesson....

alden

hi rick

sounds like you wana help this person out, i would get some more info on what fuel he is using and his after run care and storage procedure, then base your assistance on that wheather he pays for parts and up install for him, but best of all you can educate him in the after run and storage method so this does not happen again to him and im sure he can pass what he has lernt to others in the future

cheers rick from

down under

If this person is new to the hobby your help may be what keeps him in the hobby , not that you are required to help .

Personally I think we all need to help the new guy as much as possible to get over that very expensive learning curve.

That being said you would not have posted this if you didn't care so do what you feel is right .

Tim K

Slip some bearings in and oil the crap out of it,include a note saying poor care is the blame. Ive bought motors from some guys id swear were good about taking care of them. Not always true

I put the OD-88 in it to try and help the man get his boat running, even made him take his fuel out and I put some fresh Techno in the boat out of my jug. I have no idea of the motors internal condition prior to or after my assistance. But I know for a fact that something was wrong with the motor/fuel delivery system when I was trying to help. I don't know who's at fault or what the exact issue(s) where/are but I'm not taking either person's side as both of you are a friend.

P.S. Rick, you should try the OD-88's in your small motors! They are rock solid!!

Back