ODMBA Invitational race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to some results. Only thing Ive heard so far is that its hot there....

~James

Yes it was hot but it was fun and we finished right before the storm came in. Before I forget, during my thank you to our club volunteers speech, I neglected to thank the folks that were Contest Directors the whole weekend - Steve Sutton, Preston Hall, John Finch, Don Ferrette, and I think John Bonanno jumped in there as well. They stood in the sun doing a thankless job for 2 days - thanks guys! And to everyone - thank you for participating this year!

Results (1st, 2nd and 3rd in order)

NOVICE: CHRISTEN HEFFNER; JOE GRIMSTEAD; CODY GRIMSTEAD

B MONO: TOMMY CRANDALL; JOHN ATWOOD; GAVIN HIRT

B HYDRO: FRANK SECHREST; RAY SAMETZ; KENTLEY PORTER

LSG MONO: MIKE TYSON; CHARLES RAKES; MIKE HART

D MONO: CHUCK GARDINER; ERIC THOMPSON; SCOTT NORRIS

D HYDRO: RAY SAMETZ; FRANK SECHREST; DANNY WEIMER

LSG OUTRIGGER: DON FERRETTE; MIKE HART; EARL EBER

E MONO: KYLE KILBER; JIM SQUIRES; POP WEIMER

E HYDRO: JOHN FINCH; BRIAN JAMES; SCOTT NORRIS

LSG CAT: JOHN FINCH; EARL EBER; IVAN PLACE

OPEN MONO: STEVE SPEAR; BRIAN JAMES; JIM GEIGER

F HYDRO: JOHN BONANNO; DON FERRETTE; DANNY WEIMER

B TUNNEL: DERYL NESBITT; CHUCK GARDINER; TIM CLARK

STOCK GAS: JIM SQUIRES; MIKE TYSON; DON MCGURN

D TUNNEL: DERYL NESBIT; BUDDY LOWE; POP WEIMER

1/8 SCALE: JOHN FINCH; DON FERRETTE; GREG HEFNER

OPEN CAT: EARL EBER; STEVE SPEAS; JOHN FINCH

SPORT 40: CHUCK GARDINER; TIM CLARK; BUDDY LOWE

LSG SPORT HYDRO: MIKE BUTLER; DON MCGURN; JIM GEIGER

LSG SKIFF/CRACKERBOX: EARL EBER; TOMMY CRANDALL; MIKE BUTLER

OPEN OFFSHORE: STEVE SPEAS; JUSTIN WRAY; MIKE TYSON

.18 RTR: DERYL NESBIT; CHUCK GARDINER; CHRISTEN HEFFNER

Cool, looks like ole Deryl had a good weekend in the tunnel classes, and RTR also...

Congrats to everyone, and thanks for the update!

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, the heat and humidity were BRUTAL!! Just got everything unloaded & I'm toast. :wacko:

I do want to point one thing out I think is worth mentioning- B(20) mono had 9 entries with no frequency conflicts & at the Saturday driver's meeting the drivers were asked if they would combine into one & the majority agreed. The class winner Tommy Crandall, who is Christy's (Henrietta) son, drove like a champ against some long time racers and won the class running 9 boat heats. BTW- he is 12 years old. B)

Had a great time, in spite of the heat. Thanks to all the ODMBA members for the hospitality and hard work. Congrats to all!

and i swear to god, john finch better not buy any raffles tickets next year ;)

other than that i had a good time..

Yup, the heat and humidity were BRUTAL!! Just got everything unloaded & I'm toast. :wacko:
I do want to point one thing out I think is worth mentioning- B(20) mono had 9 entries with no frequency conflicts & at the Saturday driver's meeting the drivers were asked if they would combine into one & the majority agreed. The class winner Tommy Crandall, who is Christy's (Henrietta) son, drove like a champ against some long time racers and won the class running 9 boat heats. BTW- he is 12 years old. B)
I was very nervous about the 9 boat race but could not possibly be a prouder Mom at this moment. Tom has never finished a race at the invitational - his nerves usually get the best of him. This was simply amazing to be able to see. We weren't even done unloading the van and he was asking me to hang his trophies in his room :lol:

Now that Tommy has his first big win under his belt............LOOK OUT!

I saw the bottle of water come down over his head from his mentor....Preston, when he got the first place trophy. That's a lot better alternative to throwing someone in the water. I think that should be the new tradition for first time winners of the big race. Congratulations Tommy. You have worked hard for it and you deserve it.

and i swear to god, john finch better not buy any raffles tickets next year ;) other than that i had a good time..
I think Areomarine should just donate a boat to me every year and forget the raffle!

Ha Ha. Hey, I wasn't there last year, so I did not win it last year. It was the year before that I won the sport boat.

Had a Blast Again! Great Turnout for the Nitro Classes This Year!! Many Thanks to all that helped put this event on and to all the Sponsors!

Went down the street to Debbies R/C World several times this past weekend and I must say, WOW! That is the Biggest, Nicest, Most Complete Hobby Store I have Ever Seen! Very Nice People!! Keep them in mind for your future needs!!!

Thanks again ODMBA!

I had some doubts of handling 200 boats but it went over without a hitch. The weather was hot but as for racing I will take it any day. The divers all did a very good job. We never replaced a bouy and wrecks were few and far between. The cleanup crew was leaving just as it started raining. Another 5 minutes and we would have been soaked. Excellent timing.

Tommy did very well, exceptional considering it was his first time out with the boat and not to mention the other 8 drivers he left behind.

There was an impressive amount of door prizes. I hope our sponsors know how much we appreciate them and also that everybody enjoys.

Is it not enogh that Finch gets a couple 1st place trophies and hi points? Does he have to get the raffle boat too? That makes 3 from our races and there are some from others. John, you should really play the lottery.

Just got in. Left this morning. Big thanks to the ODMBA club, great race. Tommy you the man, 9 boats an that glare first thing in the morning, great job son. Made some new friends an saw some old ones. Hell Scott Norris pitman Gavin said I ain't a bad guy for a Yankee from up north. :p :p We tried to not put John's raffle tickets in the can, but he caught Tommy. :lol: :lol: Remember what happens under the Red tent, stays under the Red Tent. :ph34r: :ph34r: Be back next year, had a blast. Ray B) B) B)

Just got in. Left this morning. Big thanks to the ODMBA club, great race. Tommy you the man, 9 boats an that glare first thing in the morning, great job son. Made some new friends an saw some old ones. Hell Scott Norris pitman Gavin said I ain't a bad guy for a Yankee from up north. :p :p We tried to not put John's raffle tickets in the can, but he caught Tommy. :lol: :lol: Remember what happens under the Red tent, stays under the Red Tent. :ph34r: :ph34r: Be back next year, had a blast. Ray B) B) B)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ray you are a nice guy!! You shoulda Back Slapped Gavin all the way back to the hole he crawled out of !!

Nice spending time with you!!

:lol: ALL RIGHT Tommy is standing here reading all the kudos - I'm going to have to shrink the grin so his face will fit through the door :p

This race weekend is the most fun I've had at a boat race in a long time - hope to see you all back next year!

Great Job Tom :)

I hope you keep on making the magic ;)

The rest will soon figure out that Va Beach Rocks.....the rest Blah Blah Blah .... "Rhyms with ocks"

Sukkazz :p

Back