OB Pipe stinger relocating questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Moore

Have seen a few times including a pipe that i bought off a guy that has the stinger end of the pipe taken off. Then the hole pluged where the stinger was and the stinger relocated in the middle of the band of the pipe. (hope that makes sense) Anyway what is the benefit or the draw back if any to the performance of the pipe.

good question, I'm also interested in the feedback on this topic.

Alot of the car pipes are designed like this(novarossi etc).

good glad i asked then. I have seen many from the Canadian (quebec) side . They seem to work ok but if i have nothing to compare it to its hard to tell. I think the idea behind is to cu tback on noise with out a baffle on the end of the pipe.

Jeff

Guys, I have built several pipes with the stinger coming out of the side...they seem to work as good as the pipes with the normal rear stinger. Here is a picture of the ones I built for my twin .12.

Glenn

twin 12 1.jpg

Guys, I have built several pipes with the stinger coming out of the side...they seem to work as good as the pipes with the normal rear stinger. Here is a picture of the ones I built for my twin .12.

Glenn
Really nice looking work! Are the sponson mounting tubes solid carbon fiber or high modulus carbon fiber tubes? What is their diameter in either case? It looks as though the pipes are made of stainless steel. If yes, what is the alloy number?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at a steel gas pipe to try on my gas tunnel that looks very similar to the nitro ones that Glenn made above. I have posted a pic below. I am not that familiar with Arrowshark but this pipe looks very intriguing for sure...... ;)

F1pipeT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, and the hull looks pretty similar to others as well. But they are a cheap alternative that will attract new people to the hobby which is a good thing I suppose.

Glenn
Really nice looking work! Are the sponson mounting tubes solid carbon fiber or high modulus carbon fiber tubes? What is their diameter in either case? It looks as though the pipes are made of stainless steel. If yes, what is the alloy number?
Thanks Jim! The booms are 5/16 solid carbon. The pipes are actually made of mild steel...they do look like stainless with the way the finish comes out with the wheel I use.

Glenn

Glenn
Thanks Jim! The booms are 5/16 solid carbon. The pipes are actually made of mild steel...they do look like stainless with the way the finish comes out with the wheel I use.

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

If you access to a hard chrome platter, you might consider having them flashed with 50 millionth hard chrome - just enough to keep them from rusting. Most all my precision tools are done that way and some have 40 plus years on them. Sweet looking little twin!!!

Thanks, John

Guys, I have built several pipes with the stinger coming out of the side...they seem to work as good as the pipes with the normal rear stinger. Here is a picture of the ones I built for my twin .12. Glenn
Thanks Jim! The booms are 5/16 solid carbon. The pipes are actually made of mild steel...they do look like stainless with the way the finish comes out with the wheel I use. Glenn
Hi Glenn, If you access to a hard chrome platter, you might consider having them flashed with 50 millionth hard chrome - just enough to keep them from rusting. Most all my precision tools are done that way and some have 40 plus years on them. Sweet looking little twin!!! Thanks, John
John, that is a good idea! I don't have access to any chrome guys around here though...

Actually they don't really rust too bad. I keep them wiped down with WD 40 and i guess the oil in the fuel help protect them also. I am still using pipes I built years ago and they still look pretty good.

GQ

I did an ops 3280 pipe that way. It was a suggestion from Rod Gereghty when the quiet pipe deal started. I capped off the end and inserted a same size stinger in the side of the pipe aiming slightly forward like a car pipe. The pipe performed exactly the same as the original configuration and was a bunch quieter. Got bummed when Dan Kramer told me it wouldn't due at his Celina race as the flyer stated you need a quiet pipe or stinger muffler. Decided not to attend his race that year and got no flack anywhere else I ran the pipe.

Back in the day, a racer named Mark Blackburn (Steve Speas) partner ran a car pipe with side stinger. It was on a 21 Mongoose, boat was nicknamed SBD (Silent but deadly). This was long before the noise issues, maybe some of the Old Timers in D-12 know what pipe it was. Won a lot of races. B)

Latest posts

Back