o/t interesting e-bay find

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definately not a Bud hull and no way is it from 1995. Did some research and found it to be a responsoned 8710 hull, which was the Vantage Ultra, Cellular One, Competition Specialties and several others. It is possible that this is either the 8401 or 8700 hull as well, but I doublt it. The cowling was a reworked Cellular One/Comp Specialties cowl, not sure if it's the original since the original had the back of the scoop opened and this one was closed. Trailer looks like it was reworked as well, with the fifth wheel arangement and onboard front storage

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Larry it probably is just a display boat, The engine bay has no mounting hardware, but who knows what has been done to her over the years. If you read the add he says it is "This Unlimited Hydroplane is ready to go back into full time racing once the new Turbine is installed along with new safety hatch and roll bar. " Plus it is made up of T5 and T6 parts. I don't think he has any idea what he has.

Would this be something the HARM be interested in? I'm guessing that they get most of there boats donated.

I have to agree with you on that one Larry, since I didn't originally look at the inside of the engine bay. No mounting holes, everything clean and unblemished makes it look that way. Might be the 8710 rebuilt, just not set up to mount an engine yet

I have to agree with you on that one Larry, since I didn't originally look at the inside of the engine bay. No mounting holes, everything clean and unblemished makes it look that way. Might be the 8710 rebuilt, just not set up to mount an engine yet
One yeck of a yard ornament,do you think my neighbors would complain :lol:

One yeck of a yard ornament,do you think my neighbors would complain :lol:

LMAO!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!

yeah , give something for the neightbors to talk about.

It would be cool to put a V-8 in and go terrorize the nearby water ways.

Just got a e-mail from the The Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum , and they believe that it was a Winston Eagle display boat.

If anyone would know, it would be Dave Williams. The guy knows his stuff. Anyone want to call the guy on his Fleabay add and see if he want's to recant his claim?

This is what i e-mailed to the seller.I don't think they change their add , but at least i tried.

Hello

I think your description is incorrect, From what I can tell this boat was used as a display boat and was really the Winston Eagle display boat and was never intended to be put on the water. Also it couldn't have been made from a T5 or T6 the front canard is completely wrong. Also please note I'm sending this note not to wreck your day but prevent someone from getting injured or bring legal action against you for misrepresentation. Just trying to help.

I like it, not accusing and polite. I'll bet he either pulls it or leaves it as is
Ya I saw that yesterday.kind of got a slite chuckel out of it,because that was not a bud hull.all the Buds hulls have a front spoiler with rear triples till 2000,I think when they cut them off.Plus the bud cockpit doesnt look like a birds beak.I'd thought it might of been the winston hull..that cowl scoop was a give away,man that scoop was ugly.. I do have it in my watch tower to see how much it would sell for,just for the giggles of it. Guys isnt that hull the same config as the 99 miss madisons hull&Go Navy? But with different windows and cowl..

I'm not that knowledgeable but it looks like the 91-93 winston eagle 8700 hull minus the tiplets with the cowling from the 89-90 winston eagle on it.

From another site:

"I went to this guy's house and climbed all over and under this boat. I tried to talk some logic into this guy but he was so convinced that the T6 stamped on the underside of the aluminum hatch was the boat type and that my two must be T7 & T8...Ha! This is a Winston display that can NEVER be raced. He bought it off of a guy in B.C. after it didn't sell on eBay. I'm pretty sure he paid less than $30k for it but he's had it on offshore only for $350k+. It would make an ok display boat but I think there are much better deals out there. Thanks for exposing this bum...

Looking forward to 2009!

Ted Porter

U-5/U-7 Racing"

Guess we know the seller is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....I mean if Ted couldn't get through to him then.... might as well "forgetaboutit"

Dan

It's defintely not the 8700 hull as that was still running until a couple of years ago with the U-10 team then Dave Bartush bought it from Kim Gregory. The sponsons of that hull are still on the Spirit of Detroit. They cut the center section out and rebuilt it becuase it was trapping too much water and they had no top speed and couldn't plane at a crawl like everyone else. It's defintely not the 8401 either. It never had a recessed transom until it was retired in 99. Good possibility it could be the 8710. Good person to ask would be Ken Muscatel. He was the last to have that hull and he last ran it in 95. The ad claims it is a 1995 hull. Funny that Villwock's name it on it since Chip was actually the driver if the real Bud in 1995.

i tied to be nice about it and still no respone, seller hasn't e-mailed me or changed the add. I guess i go to e-bay and inform them maybe they will pull the add. I can't believe that just becasue it is stamped T-5 and T-6 that it has to be a Bud T-5 and T-6.

Check out the picture of the back of the boat, it looks like it they is no linkage to the rudder, or water pick up . and you can see where the boat is bolted to the frame

Hey Mike did you sell all your boat stuff?

Back