Novarossi motors and castor fuel!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, over the last few weeks, I have seen enough examples that lead me to tell you to run some amount of castor oil in your fuel!!! I have only seen the problems with the .46 motors, but I feel certain enough now that the chance of hurting your motor is very real if you only run synthetic!

I do not know what the minimum required is, but I talked to one manufacture that uses as low as 2oz per gallon and I have not heard of any problems. I use 18% total oil with a good percentage of that castor. One of the guys that had a problem has been adding 7oz of castor and all of the problems have gone away.

I am not going to talk bad about any brand of fuel...I only recommend adding castor to your fuel if it is pure synthetic.

No spears or drama...just trying to help guys get the most out of their motors!

GQ

Hi Glenn,

I know 18% total oil works well - as long as its a blend of both oils - 13% synthetic and 5% caster works well - for long engine life - this may not break a speed record but will make the engine last

Friends, over the last few weeks, I have seen enough examples that lead me to tell you to run some amount of castor oil in your fuel!!! I have only seen the problems with the .46 motors, but I feel certain enough now that the chance of hurting your motor is very real if you only run synthetic!

I do not know what the minimum required is, but I talked to one manufacture that uses as low as 2oz per gallon and I have not heard of any problems. I use 18% total oil with a good percentage of that castor. One of the guys that had a problem has been adding 7oz of castor and all of the problems have gone away.

I am not going to talk bad about any brand of fuel...I only recommend adding castor to your fuel if it is pure synthetic.

No spears or drama...just trying to help guys get the most out of their motors!Glen; What part of the engine have you seen to be a problem by not using some castor oil in the fuel. J.

GQ

I am one of the people that has experienced an issue with running straight synthetic oil. The 46 motor is a special beast and when running fuel with castor in it I have had zero problems. I love these motors and will continue to run them and the fuel that I run because they have been good to me, I will just be adding some castor to it from now on.

Jack, if you (or anyone) would like to call me and talk about what has been happening please feel free.

Kelly Gruol.

425*754_1504

Glen I run 20 o/o oil with 18 o/o synthetic 2 o/o castor .Plus I add 2 oz.castor. to make sure it is in there.

Jack, the piston/sleeve fit goes away real quick (within a few tanks it seems) and the bearings either get rough or develop excessive play very quickly.

Any insight?

GQ

Jack, the piston/sleeve fit goes away real quick (within a few tanks it seems) and the bearings either get rough or develop excessive play very quickly.

Any insight?

GQ
Glen; That is exactly what happend to my engine. The fit went away with only four tanks of fuel. I did not see any problem with the bearings.The fuel iwas using was 50% nit,14% synthetic,2% castor. Have not seen a problem like this with the CMB or Picco. May be a piston problem ? J.O'Donnell

Hey guys, Glenn contacted me on this and I sent an email straight away to Torco. Glenn has not said any brand names, but Torco is one of them. I have not heard anything back from Torco yet. Appears to only be a problem so far in the Nova 46 motors as far as I have heard of. Ive ran over 2 cases of fuel through my .21 Novarossi 35+ motors, and still have a nip at TDC, and just this past weekend replaced the bearings for the first time. There are a few guys here locally that have gallons of fuel through there 45 CMB motors, running Torco and have no issues to date. I also have heard from one person in particular that has ran the fuel through .80 and .90 engines as well, with no issues.

BUT PLEASE TAKE GLENN'S ADVISE IF YOUR RUNNING A .46 NOVA AND 100% SYNTHETIC OIL IN YOUR FUELS. You can get castor oil at almost any local hobby shop through SIG Manufacturing. 3% castor oil should be plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any insight?

GQ
Glen; That is exactly what happend to my engine. The fit went away with only four tanks of fuel. I did not see any problem with the bearings.The fuel iwas using was 50% nit,14% synthetic,2% castor. Have not seen a problem like this with the CMB or Picco. May be a piston problem ? J.O'Donnell
Jack, yeah I have seen a couple of the motors where the bump at the top goes away fairly quickly, but the seal is still very good and the motors run great. And then I have seen the ones we are talking about where they just simply wear out and the seal is not good and the motors don't run so good.

I have been talking with Nova about this and the first solution is a new water cooling system and head button that will let the case and sleeve get up to temp better so we don't run the piston in a cold sleeve and accelerate the wear. I will have some of these new parts in a couple of weeks.

GQ

I also just got an email back from Torco today. They are going to talk about it with there head mixer and get back to me. Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks again Glenn for getting in touch with me.

I also just got an email back from Torco today. They are going to talk about it with there head mixer and get back to me. Ill keep everyone posted.

Rodney, no, THANK you for being so proactive with this! I know a lot of folks who love the Torco fuel and even if they don't want to change it, it will still be great...just need to add some castor for the .46 motors.

GQ

I have talked to my local Torco dealer and he is going to contact them also. Either way, the Torco fuel works great in all of my motors and adding some castor to it does not hurt.

Rodney, no, THANK you for being so proactive with this! I know a lot of folks who love the Torco fuel and even if they don't want to change it, it will still be great...just need to add some castor for the .46 motors.

GQ
B)

Alright everyone. I just got an email back from Larry at Torco. He informed me that they are changing the formula to include 2% castor oil in all RC Boat Fuel blends. So there will always be 2% castor in the mix on all boat fuels going forward. :)

IE: 66% nitro has 17% oil (2% castor/15% synthetic)

Alright everyone. I just got an email back from Larry at Torco. He informed me that they are changing the formula to include 2% castor oil in all RC Boat Fuel blends. So there will always be 2% castor in the mix on all boat fuels going forward. :)

IE: 66% nitro has 17% oil (2% castor/15% synthetic)
Good Job Rodney!

GQ

Any insight?

GQ
I had this very issue with my OS outboard also running 100% synthetic at 22% oil and still lost the pinch very quickly... I know amains fuel here in oz is using a synthetic oil which acts like a castor and after using this fuel myself, I can say the residual oil coming from the pipe has a nice thick viscosity resembling castor ;)

Back