Novarossi carb/header/pipe combination

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Ward

First time i have asked a question but i have lurked around for a while finding some exceptional knowledge on the forums! I built a JAE 21 a few year's back and never got it in the water in the last few weeks i have purchased parts to run a Novarossi engine in it with a 180 deg header and pipe and a marine carb with on board mixture. The problem is the headers tight turn and the carbs width has the silicone joiner shutting the carbie closed and pushing the pipe to a problematic angle! I was assured by the new Novarossi agency in Australia OZ Engines that this combination would work. But after contacting him i have not had a reply!! I thought some of the gurus on here may know if there's a 180deg header available with a wide angle that would fix the problem? I have considered cutting up a long buggy header but thought better of it and thought I would ask the boat guys! Thanks

I am a bit confused.....post a photo of your problem...... I am sure there is answer ......

Actually the header is really soft and if you will place something in the opening, you an bend it slightly to the angle you need.

Hi Bradley,

We have all been using the same tight turn 180 headers for the past 30 years. Inference issues can normally be solved without bending the header.

Firstly, it sounds like the pipe/header is way too long. The coupler silicone should not be near the carb. It should be more forward adjacent to the cylinder.

This means you will need to cut some length off the stock180 header. The high point on your pipe should be 3" past the cylinder center line. 3.5" max.

If you have the stock Nova marine carb, the control arm is a bit far out off the barrel. A little bending of the steel arm will solve this.

The swing of the arm should be on the low side of the carb. This will put it under the pipe. A little thoughtful tinkering will get it all working properly.

Good boating,

Andy Brown

Thanks for the replies (any ideas on how i post a picture?) I have considered bending the header and that was suggested by the Novarossi agency here in Australia!(I tried that years ago and snapped the flange clean off)I have also tried to twist the carb and header to try and fix the problem with no luck!I was told that the buggy head was the problem but i don't believe that! as if it was a problem there is no way the header would be seated properly over the engine flange (tell me if im wrong as i was under the impression that the Novarossi engines be it marine or buggy use the same engine block?) Any suggestions for posting pictures would be grateful as i have 3 boats that I'm trying to setup at the moment and i have hit a wall on 2 of them! Thanks again for your replies they are appreciated and i will do some homework on the picture posting

Hello Brad,

The best way for the experts to help you with this problem is to defiantly post pics of your set up.

Try and take very close shots of top view of troubled area.

They need to be as sharp as possible(light is everything when taking your pics).

Also,if you can, be as descriptive as possible with the engine. If it is a buggy engine give the model # and so on.....

Now for posting, it is best to be in the fullversion, and not the mobile version on this forum to post your pics.

When your in reply to this topic look to lower left and you will see black box with post.

Just to the right of that box is an option (More Reply Options).

Click it and now you can attach files (pics) to your post.

Good luck and will be waiting for your reply.

Rember a pic can be a thousand words
default_smile.png

Hello guys. I ordered the wider header for the same combination from Ebay. It's cheep!

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a wooden dowel that fits both ends of the header and bend it out. If it doesnt bend as easy as you like take a torch and heat it up a bit then it will bend easier. If you use a torch just heat up the middle of the header so it doesnt distort the ends.

Also i would get rid of the low speed needle thats on the linkage side of the carb.

Try to find someone near you that runs boats to maybe meet up with to help you with the issues youre trying to resolve.

Hi Bradley,

We have all been using the same tight turn 180 headers for the past 30 years. Inference issues can normally be solved without bending the header.

Firstly, it sounds like the pipe/header is way too long. The coupler silicone should not be near the carb. It should be more forward adjacent to the cylinder.

This means you will need to cut some length off the stock180 header. The high point on your pipe should be 3" past the cylinder center line. 3.5" max.

If you have the stock Nova marine carb, the control arm is a bit far out off the barrel. A little bending of the steel arm will solve this.

The swing of the arm should be on the low side of the carb. This will put it under the pipe. A little thoughtful tinkering will get it all working properly.

Good boating,

Andy Brown
Hello Brad,
Please read Andy' s post again.

Andy Brown is a VERY experienced boater and is explaining how most boaters run this set up.

If yon read it carefully he is trying to tell you what your pipe length should be with in a 1/2 inch. Looks like your tuned pipe

Is way to long. Cut your header so coupler is forward of carb. Set pipe length to his description.

Thanks guys i have read Andy's post a few times!and i will do exactly what he says! And there is no one running RC boats where I am!! My father is the founding member of the local model aircraft club (50 year's he has played the game!) And we can count on 1 hand the people that have played with RC boats that we know of in our district over that period! Thats why I'm here! It was suggested that I travel 550km to get help for the answers im getting here! And even if i did make that trip who's to say the guy that knows all the tricks is there that weekend that fortnight? And i don't mean any offense! thankyou for all the replies and the great information it is appreciated like you will never know! Lessons are learned 3 ways PAIN/ MONEY or asking people with the knowledge that know! I don't like pain! and im all out of money! so that leaves me to ask people like the gurus on here!!!

Tom if the pipe coupler is forward of the carb im in some trouble! As i may have to weld more pipe on the stock length header! I think Andy's on the money! I need to cut the header shorter and bring the coupling back next to the block! In this picture it shows the least amount of coupling over the 50040 tuned pipe im using! The header is the 40042! if the coupling has to be forward of the carb i need another 2 inches of header pipe?

Hello Brad,

Just some confusion hear with the direction of forward.

In my world, forward is to the front of the boat.

So yes, you need to cut some of the header off as Andy described.

It can get confusing in marine application of our engines.

Sometimes we call the rear of the engine the flywheel end because of its

Orientation in the boat in a direct drive set up.

More pictures! top is coupler forward of carb! Obviously cannot be done! And Andy's fix cutting the header shorter and shifting the coupling back next to the engine block! Doing this still will not fix the issues of the pipe shutting the carbie closed! I think its time to bend the header

20161216_020852-1.jpg

20161216_020959-1.jpg

HI Bradley,

The carb it the biggest problem. Just need to get it cleaned up.

At the very minimum remove the knob off the low speed needle.

After that you could cut shorter the low speed needle where the knob was attached. Most of us do not use the low speed needle function at all. So we cut the needle short on the inside also. That will be another lesson on how to set up and operate the carb with no LSN

Then lastly tinker with the steel control arm.

The header is definitely too long. Measure straight down side of the engine starting at the center line of the cylinder to the high point/weld seam on the pipe.

Take a photo of that exercise. We can make a recommendation on how long to cut your header.

How much nitro will you run? Do you have a prop for this set up? Are you near sea level or at high altitude?

Hello Brad,

Just some confusion hear with the direction of forward.

In my world, forward is to the front of the boat.

So yes, you need to cut some of the header off as Andy described.

It can get confusing in marine application of our engines.

Sometimes we call the rear of the engine the flywheel end because of its

Orientation in the boat in a direct drive set up.

Back