No Step 3 Set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_T

Hi guys,

I posted this on RRR, but I know there's a few FE guys who don't go there anymore, so I wanted to post this here also for some advise. I run in the same class as Heath (Delta Force thread), and we've been getting beaten up by 26" boats all year, so we need some help! :lol: The class is limited to XL motors and 12 NiMH cells.

I've got a NS3, but I am not 100% happy with the way it runs. I have to run the CG a fair way back (7.75" from transom) to get it to not run too wet, but this makes it susceptible to blow overs in race water. Set up is as follows:

Nemesis 8XL

12 x IB4200 cells

Props - X442, X642, ABC 1614/3 (usually X442). I tried an M445 last Saturday and it was better, everything still cool.

CG 7.75" from transom

Strut - Speedmaster 1/8" up from bottom (at bottom of strut), set level. Offset 1/8" to the right.

Tabs - 3/32" up from bottom, set level.

On flat water it seems to run wet, but it corners like a demon. With a bit of chop, there's very little warning before it blows over. It just doesn't seem to recover from any up pitching like other monos I have run.

I'd really like to know what is a good starting point for the CG for a NS3. That might give me a start to set the rest of the hull up. I don't want to give up on this boat, but I feel if I'd run my OM26 this season I'd have had better results.

I attached some pics of the current set up (ignore the turn fin angle, the pic was taken after a blow over).

Thanks,

Scott

NS3_Maritimo_01.jpg

NS3_Maritimo_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey who's that good looking chap in the gum boats in the first pic B)

Sorry Scotty could'nt resist lol

Hope you get better help here with the setup

heath

Scott and Heath,

I know the problem with both your setups....

Your not driving them like u stole it !!!!! :D :p

Hold the trigger flat and turn right...

Im sure at the final race meet this sunday there will be a few boats out there at the end getting tested while having a few beers. Happy to lend a hand.

Dave

Scott and Heath,
I know the problem with both your setups....

Your not driving them like u stole it !!!!! :D :p

Hold the trigger flat and turn right...

Im sure at the final race meet this sunday there will be a few boats out there at the end getting tested while having a few beers. Happy to lend a hand.

Dave
Ha ha, you mustn't have seen it blow off in the last race when I was side by side with Ray up the back straight...just like the real Maritimo against Spirit of Norway!!

Anyway, any NS3 owners out there with successful set ups?

I responded on RR about my problems with getting this boat set up. It's taken nearly a year-off and on.

But, I'll mention 1 more thing...My NS-3 is a better rough water boat. I won't test/run it on glass water anymore and I will only race it when I know the conditions warrant a wet-running boat. When set up tight, it's pretty darn good. If I'm on fast, calm water, I'll use a different boat. Well, to be honest, I've actually gone to a Titan 40 for bigger water. So, I don't even know if my NS-3 will see any action.

My COG is right in the middle of that little hump on the port side of the transom. 8XL. X445. 4S2P Lipo's.

I have shaved some of the forward keel but haven't run it yet.

I responded on RR about my problems with getting this boat set up. It's taken nearly a year-off and on.
But, I'll mention 1 more thing...My NS-3 is a better rough water boat. I won't test/run it on glass water anymore and I will only race it when I know the conditions warrant a wet-running boat. When set up tight, it's pretty darn good. If I'm on fast, calm water, I'll use a different boat. Well, to be honest, I've actually gone to a Titan 40 for bigger water. So, I don't even know if my NS-3 will see any action.

My COG is right in the middle of that little hump on the port side of the transom. 8XL. X445. 4S2P Lipo's.

I have shaved some of the forward keel but haven't run it yet.
Thanks David, I appreciate the replies on both boards :) . I think it's a case of me not knowing what the NS3's strengths are. It definitely woke up when I put the M445 on it last weekend, but again, that was on smooth water.

Back