Nitro Survey

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradV

Curious to know what % of nitro people are running with what size motor.

Reason I ask is I rarely venture past 40% with my 45 or 90's and wonder what advantage there is in going higher.

One advantage to going higher on the nitro content in the larger motors is the extra lubrication that is being pushed through the motor.

Since you have to run at a "richer" fuel setting with the higher nitro content, you are also running more oil through the engine as well.

...high nitro won't neccessarily kill an engine, but lack of oil sure will.

BradV said:
Curious to know what % of nitro people are running with what size motor.
Reason I ask is I rarely venture past 40% with my 45 or 90's and wonder what advantage there is in going higher.
Back when I ran 40% in my CMB 90's I saw a big power increase in going to 50%, no real improvement going to 60%. The smaller motors like the 60% I now run. :)

I could see a power increase going from 40% to 50% in my 20 and 40 outboards but not so much going on to 60%. I am curious, do any of you guys use a lower nitro on break in? Seems I have good luck running 40% for break in and then going up. No failures yet on Red Max fuels.

Mark

How about that Red Max fuel

.45 O/B runs 55% 20% all syn oil, any higher the engine get real HOT.

The O.S .12 O/B like the 65%,20% all syn oil.

The engines love the heat with the water cooled heads,GREESY low needle and a Lean high speed needle with short pipes. The additive in the Red MAX is GREAT!

What it does is leaves a film on the top of the piston, not like caster and wont wash off with warm water.

Back