Nitro mixing jug?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much difference do you think it really makes? Would weight and volume methods be pretty close at standard temperature and pressure? And then maybe differ at high altitude or high heat and humidity??

Here's a random chart from a Google search - the coefficient looks pretty small for methanol, although a big enough temperature change could be significant.

I'm thinking that I would generally mix fuel under somewhat constant temperature conditions.....
If you mix fuel inside the temperature is stable enough to not effect the SG enough to matter. It's just a more accurate/consistent way to mix, if you use a postal type scale that measures grams you are basically mixing each ingredient to 1 ml accuracy. By looking at the level on a measuring cup or even a 1000 ml cylinder you'll be off at least 10 ml.
default_unsure.png

Or you can weigh your ingredients. Makes for a very accurate and consistent mix.

Four liters (4000 ml) fills a gallon jug nicely.

The SG of nitro is 1.13, alcohol = 0.79 and oil is very close to 1.0.

Say you wanted 60% with 12% oil:

Nitro: 4000 ml x 0.6 = 2400 ml 2400 ml x 1.13 = 2712 grams

Alcohol: 4000 ml x 0.28 = 1120 ml 1120 ml x 0.79 = 889 grams

Oil: 4000 ml x 0.12 = 480 ml 480 ml x 1.0 = 480 grams
terry,how would i get 60% nitro and 18% oil? also where is everyone buying PURE Nitro? thanks,mike.
If the nitro is 60% and oil 18% then the alcohol is 22%. Just insert 0.22 and 0.18 above and calculate it out.
default_smile.png
. Terry, you said “ By looking at the level on a measuring cup or even a 1000ml cylinder you’ll be off at least 10 ml”. So you eyesighted and compared it to weighing and found YOUR ability was off around 10 ml. That’s only about .2 - .3 % off ( in 1 gallon) that isnt bad, don’t be hard on yourself! ha ha

How much difference do you think it really makes? Would weight and volume methods be pretty close at standard temperature and pressure? And then maybe differ at high altitude or high heat and humidity??

Here's a random chart from a Google search - the coefficient looks pretty small for methanol, although a big enough temperature change could be significant.

I'm thinking that I would generally mix fuel under somewhat constant temperature conditions.....
If you mix fuel inside the temperature is stable enough to not effect the SG enough to matter. It's just a more accurate/consistent way to mix, if you use a postal type scale that measures grams you are basically mixing each ingredient to 1 ml accuracy. By looking at the level on a measuring cup or even a 1000 ml cylinder you'll be off at least 10 ml.
default_unsure.png

Or you can weigh your ingredients. Makes for a very accurate and consistent mix.

terry,how would i get 60% nitro and 18% oil? also where is everyone buying PURE Nitro? thanks,mike.
If the nitro is 60% and oil 18% then the alcohol is 22%. Just insert 0.22 and 0.18 above and calculate it out.
default_smile.png
. Terry, you said “ By looking at the level on a measuring cup or even a 1000ml cylinder you’ll be off at least 10 ml”. So you eyesighted and compared it to weighing and found YOUR ability was off around 10 ml. That’s only about .2 - .3 % off ( in 1 gallon) that isnt bad, don’t be hard on yourself! ha ha

Ya, my eyes prolly aren't as good as yours anymore but it's easy to do, try using a measuring cup and weigh it. Dump some out, bring the level back up and weigh it again, I think you'll be surprised.

10 ml per 1000 is actually 1%, but multiply it x 4 and it's 4%. Use a measuring cup or something wider and things really go for a chit.
default_unsure.png

I like my fuel the same gallon to gallon...

Last edited by a moderator:

default_unsure.png

default_smile.png
Ya, my eyes prolly aren't as good as yours anymore but it's easy to do, try using a measuring cup and weigh it. Dump some out, bring the level back up and weigh it again, I think you'll be surprised.

10 ml per 1000 is actually 1%, but multiply it x 4 and it's 4%. Use a measuring cup or something wider and things really go for a chit.
default_unsure.png

I like my fuel the same gallon to gallon...
. True, I’m referrring to it as .2-.3% off in one gallon of 3785 ml. I only eyesight once in my jug because I can pour all the nitro in it. For the people eyesighting multiple times in a 1000ml cylinder they are setting up for more error. I would weigh it if I was selling it.

You guys have turned this into "rocket science". I have been using a Ratio Rite mixing cup ( you can find them on eBay or some motorcycle shops for less than $10.00 ) for almost 40 years to mix fuel in. Granted, there are better ways to mix fuel, but this has worked for me. A piece of paper and a pen to keep track of what and how many ounces you're mixing............the engine isn't gonna know if you missed an ingredient by 1/8 of an ounce or so. Don't scare people away from trying to take a stab at mixing their own fuel. Give them some other options, like I just did. "Eyeball engineering, another way of getting things done".

Dick Tyndall

You guys have turned this into "rocket science". I have been using a Ratio Rite mixing cup ( you can find them on eBay or some motorcycle shops for less than $10.00 ) for almost 40 years to mix fuel in. Granted, there are better ways to mix fuel, but this has worked for me. A piece of paper and a pen to keep track of what and how many ounces you're mixing............the engine isn't gonna know if you missed an ingredient by 1/8 of an ounce or so. Don't scare people away from trying to take a stab at mixing their own fuel. Give them some other options, like I just did. "Eyeball engineering, another way of getting things done".

Dick Tyndall

Yup, that works too!
default_smile.png

Dick Tyndall
hi dick,the big thing now is where to buy pure nitro? i have plenty of alky i buy a 55 gal drum for my drag car and oil is no problem either.thanks,mike.

I made a simple excel spreadsheet where you enter in your desired percentage of nitro and oil and it will calculate oz's of nitro, oil and methanol. You can also use it if you want to add oil or nitro to a commercial fuel to find out how much to add to get where you want to go, but it's an iterative process.

4941095932_B2FEFB7A832B24838A437C6CF72BF857.jpg
thank you paul.

Hi Mike,

I use to get my nitro from World Wide Racing Fuels when they were 60 miles from my house. I don't think they are around anymore. When they brought a tractor-trailer full of fuel to the drag races we could get a 5 gallon can of nitro or methanol filled up ( the owner knew who I was by then ). I don't think the VP people would fill your container at the track these days ( maybe you have to show an NHRA license ? ), but I can get nitro and methanol ( VP ) at my local speed shop in 5, 30 or 55 gallon containers.

Dick Tyndall

Hi Mike,

I use to get my nitro from World Wide Racing Fuels when they were 60 miles from my house. I don't think they are around anymore. When they brought a tractor-trailer full of fuel to the drag races we could get a 5 gallon can of nitro or methanol filled up ( the owner knew who I was by then ). I don't think the VP people would fill your container at the track these days ( maybe you have to show an NHRA license ? ), but I can get nitro and methanol ( VP ) at my local speed shop in 5, 30 or 55 gallon containers.

Dick Tyndall
hi dick,i will talk to my friend who owns Darlington Dragway and ask him if he can get me a 5 gal pail of nitro or the other guy who owns a local speed shop if he can hook me up.thanks very much,mikie.

Michael,

FHS Supply (Red Max Fuels) in SC coukd be another source of nitro for you.

The days of getting fuel at the drag strip are over due to federal regulations and torrist these days olklahoma city was the result of nitro bought at the race track I know in order to buy nitro from vp you have to have a FBI back ground check.Been there done that

I made a simple excel spreadsheet where you enter in your desired percentage of nitro and oil and it will calculate oz's of nitro, oil and methanol. You can also use it if you want to add oil or nitro to a commercial fuel to find out how much to add to get where you want to go, but it's an iterative process.
thank you paul.
If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet I can email it to you.

thank you paul.
If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet I can email it to you.
PM sent,thanks,mike.

Back